Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forecast is not looking good for the north east this halloween, at the moment. Cold, rain/snow showers going to all rain at night. I usually wait to decorate until two or three days before halloween to avoid the decorations and props from taking a beating from rain and wind. There have been a few rain and wind stroms already, which has made me thankful I haven't put anything out yet. And now the forecast for the holiday itself is looking bad. This could seriously affect how much I put out this year. I'll guess we'll have to see what happens as halloween draws closer. A potential drag, I must say. Last year was warm at night- perfect really, except for some windy conditions in the afternoon. Oh how I wish for at least that, but it doesn't look good.

Are you all rain proof? Rain or shine events?

Does anyone remember the TOTS coming the next day in your part of town, because of a total rain out on halloween? It might have happened when I was a kid once, but I can't remember for sure really. Hmmm.

Dan

·
Ubzest
1,249 Posts
You beat me to this topic! lol. the long range for London is Its supposed to start raining this week end, ( Our opening week end!)and continue raining everyday untill halloween!
dam dam dam!
ps, we are mostly covered but the people in the line up are gonna be soaked.
dam dam dam!

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
Hi! I'm new here and this is my first post.........the long range forecast is killing me because it's supposed to be 44 and rainy here on Halloween and this is my first year decorating. I keep telling myself it's just a jumping off offer and they'll offer me a better forecast as we get closer to Halloween, but we have had several years of beautiful Halloween nights so maybe we are due? Not that I'm happy about it!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Don't put too much stock in these forecasts. Our weather changes hourly and more often than not the forecast is not reliable. It's 10 days away. I normally don't pay much attention to a forecast until the day before, and even then it's a crap shoot.
That said, in the event of heavy rain/wind, we scale way back. Too many props/lights/sound things to risk getting damaged. A light rain or drizzle and we'll probably go with the full haunt even though it's all out in the open, some of our scenes are under cover. Since it's only a one night deal, we do eveything we can to put the whole thing together but again, not at the risk of damaging or ruining anything. Think positive!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I am supposed to get snow and rain on the 30th, clearing up to partly cloudy for the 31st. Still, I use NOAA/NWS for my weather which does not go more than a week out. I just looked at the long term since it was brought up. Sounds like good weather for setting the Halloween mood if the long term is correct.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our local haunt is an outdoor walking trail. Every year so far we have struggled to get one day out of our two day run. It's been bit of a blessing that each year the Fri gets rained out because I don't think we have ever been ready on Fri. This year the rain looks like it will settle in on Sat.

We do what we can to rainproof the sensitive items. We have hardware cloth and plastic shrouds for the radios and fog machines. We are building a roof for one of our scenes because we will have a stereo and projector there and need to ensure it's safety. We plan to do what we can and then see what the City decides to do about opening the event.

I have worked several other open haunts and know how miserable it can be working in the rain. But if you are a strong show with fairly dedicated volunteers, then you can still hold the performance! The volunteers are the challenge (and convincing the patrons to close their umbrellas). The rain also can provide some interesting scene challenges like sinking scenes, slick conditions for actors, and some occasional redecoration of costumes.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I only went and looked because of what you all are saying. For here it says very cold, sleet, snow, etc. Wouldn't be the first time, but then again, here in Colorado, they don't even get the next couple of days necessarily right. So I won't worry about it until next week.
It would be a bummer, but what can you do?
This is our first year even doing a walk through. It's in the garage, so weather won't matter, except the amount of kids coming through. The fact that it's Friday night anyway will have an effect because of football games.
Our yard is already set up so that's not an issue. The weather has cooperated the last couple years, so we're due for a bad year anyway...

·
Registered
212 Posts
our ToT is this saturday the 25th. Intellicast.com is predicting "rain" w/ 70% chance. I've found that a lot can change in the 5 day forecast, but there will still probably be some rain. Hey, at least it's not snow, which is what we had 2 years ago. Big, wet, sticky flakes of it and it was about 35 degrees. Plus ToT in the daytime, and we only had about 50 kids. It sucked. Last year it rained quite hard and was cold as well, but it broke after the 2nd hour so we had a decent turn out.

All i want is MORE kids than last year. Even if it rains, as long as we have more kids i don't care.

Intellicast doesn't go to the 31st as of today, but it's predicting some form of rain all next week. We wait expectantly all year just to get rained on. It sucks.

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
this is too funny, i just checked mine again for the heck of it and it now says sunny and 53. i have to stop obsessively checking it, this is like a roller coaster for me. it's not so much getting trick or treaters it's that we have to be out in it doing our own trick or treating.

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
The wind here has been horrible. I had to bring in my pirate ship yesterday and I've decided not to put it back until the party and Halloween. It's too heavy/bulky to keep bringing it back and forth.

Now I can't get my van in the garage and the kids are complaining of a cold car in the mornings.

The pirate theme has been fun, but no big items next time. It's been too time consuming.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i am praying for everyone to get good weather, i just checked accuweather for me ( southern new york) and its got sunny. so i got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
aww, I hope the weather works out for all of you!!

I just checked ours, out of curiosity. Rain in the am and partly cloudy skies with a low of 38 in the evening. That'll be the chilliest night thus far! It's almost *too* perfect.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I was just gonna complain about it being cold and damp today (but its sunny) while I'm working on my display...but I just checked my Accuweather for Halloween night and its a nightmare--low 27 feels like 15; couple showers; then rain and freezing rain. That is NOT acceptable--I won't have it--change that forecast, NOW! OK, I have control issues. LOL.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ohhh, I'm so jealous of that!!

You know, in the end for me it's not even really about the decorations and props taking some rain. I'd take out some props that are more delicate, but I have enough to put out that will hold up to bad weather. For me, it's the effort wasted with a possible low to no turnout. I'm busy, middle aged, and my bones are creaking litterally now! It takes a lot of effort physically to do what I do, which doesn't even approach what many of you folks do! I love halloween and I LOVE giving the folks a great yard to visit when trick or treating. It's my biggest joy to provide that experience, made even more important considering most of the neighborhood does almost nothing. How sad it is to see the army of kids walking around to un-decorated houses. That is NOT the halloween experience I wish to provide for my TOT's. They get the treats AND the aura when they visit me. Bad weather will surley change the game for me this year, with less outside and perhaps really good window decorations. You gotta have something for those who brave the weather!

Dan

·
Registered
212 Posts
exactly how i feel. job, small business, school, daughter, there's a million other things i SHOULD be doing than playing in the front yard lol. But i could never sit there with a bowl of candy and just say "ooh, scary witch costume!!" with a smile. I want kids screaming, or better yet petrified with fear half way up my stairs, only to turn around when they silently decide it's not worth the candy to have nightmares for a year!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
I had to go and check the accuweatrher long range. Looks to be sunny but cool most of next week , including Saturday, 11/1. I'll be very happy if this is close to accurate. I can do chilly temps, but not rain/wind. We shall see. (I probably just hosed myself by looking it up!)

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
One good thing I can say about this cold snap.......it killed my 2 potted flowers on my steps and I was gonna throw them out but they actually look pretty cool with my set-up so they shall stay. We're the only house decorated on our street so i wanted it to be fun for the kids. We have awning over our porch so the rain won't really hurt anything. It's just the thought of walking around in 44 degree weather while it's raining that's getting to me but as I said we now have a huge improvement weather wise and hopefully it will stay that way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts