Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Colorado - we don't get nearly enough rain to get moss of any type, let alone the long, swampy, flowing, drapey moss from swamps.
I'm having a really difficult time finding any to buy. Of course I can find lots of dry Spanish moss, but that doesn't hang/flow the same.

Anyone have any thoughts or contacts?
Thanks,
~Wickit~

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,083 Posts
That long, drapey moss IS Spanish moss, it's just most likely dried & cut for resale. You may want to re-hyrdrate some & see what happens.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It doesn't last as long- and might not be quite what you're looking for- but for outdoor set dressing, I will sometimes harvest some wild vines and hang them to dry. I then drape them over and around my outdoor cemmie and fencing. Be sure to remove any seeds (berries) if you don't want those seeds dropping in your lawn. A quick hit of spray paint enhances the effect. Get them now and they will by dry by October.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey Wickit,

Hobby Lobby has Spanish Moss in different colors, sheet moss and they have Lichen Moss too. Maybe you could mix the different kinds to get the look you want. Hope this helps,

GG

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,083 Posts
I think wickit wants this look:

Which is Spanish moss. What we get for crafting is the same thing just dried, in a smaller quantity & all balled up in a small bag.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello Wickitwayz. You might want to try www.moss4u.com . Ron sells great mosses and he ships it quickly as well. A 10 pound box is about the size of a window AC unit and packed. You can do a lot of decorating with it. The moss is real and cleaned well. Best of luck to you for a great season.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
I wanted that effect and decided to settle for shredded creepy cloth instead. I glued it to some strips of vinyl siding trim and slipped the edge under our existing soffit trim. Does not look exactly like moss, but gives the same creepy effect. You can see some of it under the roofline in this pic...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the info. Horrorman, I think I'm going to see about getting some from that webpage. The fresh stuff is probably exactly what I am wanting... will definitely add some cloth for differences in texture.

Do appreciate the assistance!
~Wickit~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts