Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, the local article: http://www.nj.com/washington-township-times/index.ssf/2013/09/gloucester_township_mayor_we_a.html#incart_river

The politicians claim they aren't trying to do away with Halloween, but the resolution "asks parents to voluntarily restrict Halloween activities to private parties, and not trick or treat, especially after dark."

Sure sounds like an attempt to do away with Halloween to me.

Incidentally, the town in question is right across the creek from the location I use for my charity haunt.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
OMG HOW COULD YOU DISAPPOINT THIS FACE?!?! How could you tell this little guy he can't ToT?!?

And AGAIN with the "check the treats" garbage. Snopes has proof that sh*t isn't true but why bother to check any facts?

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
This is the part that gets me the most: "Mayer said that the township has not had any serious incidents in the past, and wanted to promote safe decisions."

If nothing serious has happened in all these years, why the $*)% can't they just let the people do what they normally do for enjoyment and keep their [email protected] noses out of it?! I am sorry that you have to live so close to this @ssclown and his cronies, Blarghity.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This is the part that gets me the most: "Mayer said that the township has not had any serious incidents in the past, and wanted to promote safe decisions."

If nothing serious has happened in all these years, why the $*)% can't they just let the people do what they normally do for enjoyment and keep their [email protected] noses out of it?! I am sorry that you have to live so close to this @ssclown and his cronies, Blarghity.
Remember, we are living in an era of "smaller government" that wants you to be "free" and "not interfere with your life."

OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its enough to make you see red.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
First, the local article: http://www.nj.com/washington-township-times/index.ssf/2013/09/gloucester_township_mayor_we_a.html#incart_river

The politicians claim they aren't trying to do away with Halloween, but the resolution "asks parents to voluntarily restrict Halloween activities to private parties, and not trick or treat, especially after dark."

Sure sounds like an attempt to do away with Halloween to me.

Incidentally, the town in question is right across the creek from the location I use for my charity haunt.
Did you speak at the meeting? If not, and the resolution passed, get in touch with the newspaper first thing in the morning and ask them if they would like to do an article representing the other side. Have a few people lined up for them to interview, including at least a couple of cute, articulate kids. Be logical, reasonable and unemotional in your own comments. Don't use words like 'stupid' or 'idiots'. Make everyone who reads the article see how much sense it makes to continue things the way they have traditionally been.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If this were my town, I would haunt the whole damn thing! For goodness sake let kiddos enjoy! Nothing on Earth so beautiful as the final haul on Halloween night. ~Steve Almond

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I used to think it pretty crappy when a local Chief of Police would advertise a contest he did for Halloween night. If he happened to ring a child's phone after 9:00 pm and they were not home to answer his call, they could not win a new watch .
9 PM!?
It's just getting started by then! Party Pooper! (But then this was the same guy who when his farmhand called to speak to him and was told the farmhand was thinking of killing himself the Policeman said,"What does he want? To borrow my gun?"

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts

Clearly, the Gloucester Township mayor needs to brush up on his logical fallacies: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ ;)

Also, I didn't grow up in a place that had "official" trick-or-treating hours, so I find that concept rather strange to begin with -- but, seriously, imposing a 7:00 PM end time? That's absurd.

"There are just two rules of governance in a free society: Mind your own business. Keep your hands to yourself." -- P.J. O'Rourke

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Remember, we are living in an era of "smaller government" that wants you to be "free" and "not interfere with your life."

OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its enough to make you see red.
I know, is it not thrilling how involved the government wants to be in 'bettering' lives?:rolleyes:

Be logical, reasonable and unemotional in your own comments. Don't use words like 'stupid' or 'idiots'. Make everyone who reads the article see how much sense it makes to continue things the way they have traditionally been.
Awwww... I was hoping to hear something along the lines of, "This stupid, MFin' SOB has no GD idea what the hell he is doing, does he?! Provided he even has the ability, he needs to pull his head out of his @ss and look around a little before flapping his moronic gums any further...";)

Clearly, the Gloucester Township mayor needs to brush up on his logical fallacies: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ ;)
Heh. Do you really want to spend $20 to send him the poster, though?:p

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
But then this was the same guy who when his farmhand called to speak to him and was told the farmhand was thinking of killing himself the Policeman said,"What does he want? To borrow my gun?"
Nice. Really nice. :rolleyes: What is WRONG with people?!?!

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
Um, aren't WE GROWN-UP? :)

No, the only people who want to get rid of Halloween are the ones like my co-worker who blasted all over Facebook over the weekend that "I am bringing "evil" into the office" because I have a 3 inch tombstone and a small plastic skull with a black rose from my SR on my desk. Sheesh, it's not like those of us who love Halloween are out dancing naked under a full-moon chanting to try and raise demons, or whatever else she thinks we must do! It's utterly insane. She literally set up a desktop nativity scene, ceramic angels (5 of them!), and bible verses all around her on her desk and has been playing gospel since Friday. Hello? I'm Catholic, not Demonic! I just happen to love All Hallow's Eve! Argh, these people drive me nuts.

That's crazy!

You'll notice the only people that want to get rid of Trick-or-Treating are already GROWN-UP !!

·
Registered
708 Posts
The government would be happy if eventually EVERYONE had a curfew after dark unless it is an emergency. They WANT you to depend on them, to NEED them, so they can control you and your life.

City of Pittsburgh has 'official' Trick or Treat hours, which are typically 6:30 to 8:30 or something dumb. It is on Halloween at least (Unless a stupid Hurricane ruins it).

·
Registered
35 Posts
The town we lived in when my husband got out of the Air Force didn't "do" Halloween. Their reasoning was because they didn't have a police force and had to call the state police if anything were to happen. They just wanted everyone to be safe. :rolleyes: We didn't stay there long! We now live in a slightly bigger town with its own police force. However, little neighboring towns around us don't have a police force and they still allow trick or treat! We do have to compromise a little...trick or treat night is always the last Tuesday in October. Unless October 31st happens to fall on a Tuesday that year, it is never actually on Halloween. :mad:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Honestly, what next. Are we going to ban Christmas because Christmas lights plug into wall sockets, which contain electricity? WHAT IF SOMEONE SHOCKS THEMSELVES BY ACCIDENT!?? Also, someone's dog might chew through a light-cord and cause a short, resulting in a house burning down. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

*big annoyed sigh*

I had a cat once who bit a mini-light out of a string of lights on my Christmas tree one year. I didn't find it till I was taking the tree down.... and it did upset me when I saw that, both for fire-hazard reasons and because I was scared the cat hurt their mouth. [No actual harm was done....] This is not a reason to ban Christmas for everyone else, however.

So tired of nannies trying to nannify our lives.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Um, aren't WE GROWN-UP? :)

No, the only people who want to get rid of Halloween are the ones like my co-worker who blasted all over Facebook over the weekend that "I am bringing "evil" into the office" because I have a 3 inch tombstone and a small plastic skull with a black rose from my SR on my desk. Sheesh, it's not like those of us who love Halloween are out dancing naked under a full-moon chanting to try and raise demons, or whatever else she thinks we must do! It's utterly insane. She literally set up a desktop nativity scene, ceramic angels (5 of them!), and bible verses all around her on her desk and has been playing gospel since Friday. Hello? I'm Catholic, not Demonic! I just happen to love All Hallow's Eve! Argh, these people drive me nuts.
FYI, You have legal grounds to sue her for harassment just for the facebook post. You really should bring it to your boss' attention, and point out that her music is disrupting the work environment by inflicting her evangelical religious views on others. If she counterclaims regarding your Halloween decor, point out people only notice if they are snooping around your cubicle, an activity which no one but your boss has any reason to be doing, while her music cannot be "hidden from sight" without going to such an extent as to have detrimental impact on the productivity of everyone in earshot.

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
Blarghity,

My boss is already aware.....since she blasted him for something else. She has since deleted the ones about me, but left the posts about her "Needing help please! I am having anxiety attacks because of work! Please pray for me and the evil atmosphere I have to deal with!" This was before I even put out any decorations so it was definitely about our Lieutenant Colonel.....bad move on her part. We don't have cubicles, they are nice desks with cubbies. I honestly don't care what music she plays because she doesn't play it loudly, it's just irritating the crap out of me because I know WHY she's all of a sudden doing it. She just needs to go soak her head.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts