Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the local Spirit Franchisees deal with alot of BS for a month and a half, but it's a shame they would just rather throw the displays away than make some extra $. Was in the store in the morning, bought some display animatronics and asked what they would do with the windmill, etc if they didnt sell it? The not so spirity store manager snipped ' aw we just send it back'. I told her I would take it off her hands for a small price if it was still around at the end of the day. No interest. I went back about 6 hours later and there were employees just crumpling the pieces up and shoving them into shopping carts and taking then behind their curtains.

Would have been nice to set the stuff up next year. Oh well. Their loss. If anyone out there from Spirit Halloween is watching, might want to pass some negotiation skills on to your franchisees.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I noticed policies vary wildly from store to store...They barely have enough time to train the employees, get stuff set up, sold and tore down and out.... The display stuff is almost impossible to get so I don't even try....The cardboard stuff wouldn't last but a season or 2 anyway....I would have liked to have some of those plastic trees they had the one year but the prices were too much....I would have liked those plastic "wooden barrels" this year but it's too much of a crap shoot and I don't play stupid games....ZR

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dunno, doesn't surprise me. A lot of chains are starting to do this. We were in GameStop a few weeks ago because my oldest was interested in picking up their Wizard 101 display. She was turned down. We were told that corporate orders were to destroy them when done because there were too many "issues". Couldn't get him to elaborate on what the issues were. But guessing it had something to do with either employees selling them under the table or scalpers selling them on ebay for a huge profit (which the store and/or game companies see none of).

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Imagine that you're exhausted and just want to load out a store. Saying yes to sell a display brings a whole host of possible annoyance. The person can't fit it in the vehicle. They want to come back with a van or truck. Can you help them break it down. Missing pieces. Late arriving to take it, slow to get out. On and on. People can be clueless loons and you open yourself up to a nightmare if you get involved. So you break the cardboard up and avoid the hassle. I get it. Shame though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Screaming Demons - Yes, they were selling some parts of the display, such as the risers, the windmill and water tower that had prices, but there was a front porch display that had nothing on it posted for sale and they didnt want to talk a sale. Oh well. We'll see next year

·
Registered
19 Posts
L
We are in Tallahassee Fl.
Same thing here after showing off pictures of what we do to the manager that knows me and the regional manager I guess. He was over the manager. I ask if they had carts because we are about to load up a lot. They didn’t so I said we will start making a pile in the front. The manager said to us last year we were the biggest spender they had.

My wife went with as many black lights as she could carry in one load to the front. The boss of the manager said “you can’t buy those they are not for sale”.

I already had my hands full.
I was just beat from the last few weeks of setting up and making things safe after the hurricane trashing our area.
I didn’t have the energy to fight. I just put my stuff back neatly we’re I had found it and we walked out.
We had 30 actors and made an easy 10 trips to spirit this season. Half were group fun shopping trips.
I and pretty sure the margins were capable of 50% off to do the right thing especially when we drop a few grand on other things a year.

Piss poor managing decisions from a business owner.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just went by the store to the back and the entire display is crumpled up and torn to shreds and shoved in the dumpster !!!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You should have just paid the $60 for the windmill. I would have bought one yesterday but someone beat me to it. Just as well, my brother helps me with setup, etc, and he would be pissed if I bought something that large.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts