Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever taken part in a home haunt competition, specifically locally to your area? You know like those competitions they have for christmas lights just 500 X more cooler?

If so please share how they work! Would love to see something like that in my area eventually start up because I plan to win it. :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I explained this wrong.

In some places you can enter your house in a light show competition for christmas. Then at a set time, judges will drive around and judge your display. The winners are listed in the paper and sometimes there is a prize.

Thats the kind of thing I would like to see happen for halloween.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The HOA where I use to live did a Halloween Decoration contest just like that. You had to sign up and then they would drive around and look at the house. The prize was a gift certifcate to a local cafe. We won the last 2 years we were there but never used the gift certificates!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think Anoka does this, but I don't know of any other areas that do it. The Anoka Halloween website has some info on theirs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Our area does this. It called central NY best haunted house. Each year the give 250 dollars in some sort of gift card. We won in 2007. We received 250 dollars in amex gift cards. They post the top 4 on line then there is a voting process. Him with the most wins. I have even had the good folks on this site vote for our haunt.

·
Registered
288 Posts
While we don't have an official contest around where I live there is still competition between myself and a few neighbors. Every time I get a new prop or buy something it seems like they go out and buy more as well :D This year I think I have it on lock though :p

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Our neighborhood does have a Halloween decorating contest.
I've won the last two years. Last year it got me a $50 Visa gift card!

·
Registered
407 Posts
My subs homeowner assoc. meetings always mention contests for christmas and halloween decor, but they never follow through with it because they're afraid of me....lol

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
The only competition i have ever entered is for our halloween camping trip that we go on annually now. I have won the past 2 years in a row and have really upped the game for this year, i am planning on going for 3 in a row.Just about a month to go now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We are in the Christmas decorating contest every year, (you have to be nominated) and we usually win 1st, 2nd or 3rd place every year, prizes are $300 for 1st, $200 for 2nd and so on. One of the city council women stopped by last September as I was starting to decorate outside for Halloween and said, "you know there isn't a contest for Halloween" and I told her maybe she should start one! Maybe it'll happen in a couple years!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Last year I saw an article about how our local Jaycees chapter

does a halloween house-decorating contest each year, so I called the number and entered my house, but I never heard back about how I did or who finally won (which is weird, because I've never seen another house in our town that goes all-out the way we do). I'm convinced it must be a conspiracy!;)
Anyway, you might try checking the websites of local organizations to see if they do something similar, or just start one yourself!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone ever approached your local halloween shop in getting them to sponsor something like this? I suppose Spirit in many cases and Halloween Express in mine. Just wondering if they have policies against this. Seems like it could be a good promotion for them.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Our town had a contest last year, put on by an individual, wasn't city sponsored or anything like that. We entered and didn't win anything :( but it was still fun and we met some nice people through it. The best part, for me, was getting the list of all the entries then driving around to see them.

Keep an eye out on HGTV. Most of the people who entered that contest were contacted a couple months ago about being in a Halloween themed decorating competition show. I didn't send in my pics but overheard a guy who got picked discussing it at the local Halloween shop. They pulled up with 2 trailers full of stuff and he got to keep everything!!!!!!!!!! I was so jealous! Can't wait to see the show, it is supposed to be a Halloween party decorating contest with two houses in the same neighborhood/same block. I'll update when I find out when it is going to be on and the name, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts