Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making witches for decorating this halloween. I need to make a mask for each. No movement on them. So would the liquid latex i use for scars work for the mask.
How well would plaster of Paris work for the mold with liquid latex.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am making witches for decorating this halloween. I need to make a mask for each. No movement on them. So would the liquid latex i use for scars work for the mask.
How well would plaster of Paris work for the mold with liquid latex.
It sounds like you want to make a mask mold using plaster of paris, and are concerned that the latex might adhere to the plaster mold? You are correct that latex will stick to plaster, unless you use a mold release. You can use cooking spray (plaster is porous so it will absorb some of this and be discolored permanently, but that isn't a terrible thing).

Alternatively, if you will need to swirl the latex around in the mold you might want something lighter than plaster. There are ways to make a flexible silicone mold that has a separate lightweight hard shell.

That video is one approach. Silicone is nice because the only thing that sticks to it is more silicone (latex, plaster, etc are less likely to stick). However, when I went to a molding and casting store recently and got some urethane foam they DID recommend a release agent between a silicone mold and the urethane because the urethane is unbelievably sticky. So ... silicone isn't 100% stick proof.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If it is for a static display, I would avoid latex. It tends to deteriate over time, and your hard work will be lost.

One alternative that can be used in the same slip-cast method often used for Latex, is Liquid Neoprene. [ main source is Spartan Products ] It is much more rigid than latex, but has some flexibility when you first take it out of the plaster mold. So, it will tolerate some undercuts. Marionette makers are one of the main users of this product.

There are a zillion alternatives. You might carve some rigid foam, and then cover it with spackling, and carve the final details into the spackling.

-Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts