Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i want to start building some props with Liquid latex, but not sure where the best place to pick some up? thought i saw that someone here sells it for a good price can anyone help?

·
Banned
535 Posts
screamlinestudios.com I have bought from them quite a few times. Their page is down though but they have a email address on the front page to contact them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
I went to all the trouble to find a gu to sell me a five gallon pail of latex for props.
you have obviously seen the same videos or instruction.
May I offer you what I found out?
1, latex deteriorates in about three years to goo.
2. Latex paint has a lot of latex in it. and you are likely to paint your prop any way. so initial color does not matter much at all.
different paints have less and more latex in them - open a few cans - the thicker the paint - the more latex is in it.
the paint additives also help seal it and give it longevity.
remember - you dont want folks touching your props any way - so realistic feel does not matter.
save the latex for masks to be worn by actors and make up.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Well i wouldnt do that for the simple reason of latex paint is more then latex and pigments. There is also solvents and such. Id much rather know what i have my hands into then guessing the ingredients. If i were you just stick to liquid latex.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Toetag,
You do realize that liquid latex is cut with amonia, right?
I would suggest you not stick your hands in any of it - wear gloves. Try a respiraotor too, even when outside.
have you ever done this before. you will have your hands in all kinds of stuff, the least of which to worry about is latex paint.
The additives in latex paint can be eaten by a child without causing harm. I wouldn't feed it to one, but it is designed with that in mind.
I was just offering a tip to make life easier and less expensive - if you dont want the advice - simply dont do so.
best of luck.
The first time you do a corpse and have that much latex drying and releasing all that amonia, you will remember this post and it will then start to make more sense.

·
Banned
535 Posts
This isnt my first rodeo with liquid latex trust me. Paint fumes and chemicals are much harsher then ammonia in liquid latex by far. I have never caught a buzz from applying liquid latex but i have when painting my home. Just my two cents. Use the product for what its intended for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts