Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ... RD407 is a slush casting latex. It is thick and dries, in thin layers, mostly clear. It is extremely strong and stretchy.

Then there is this zauder's liquid latex that comes in those little bottles at costume stores. It is thinner but, more importantly, it has a very yellow color as opposed to the RD407. It is not quite as strong, but it is much stickier, even after curing. The smell is noticeably different with much less ammonia. What is this stuff?

What are the different classifications of liquid latex available to the consumer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am very interested in responses to this thread. I'm looking forward to getting into using latex for masks, makeup, and props, but I'm a little dazzled by all the different types. I'm hoping there is a one-for-all type.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redrom - in my limited expierence, RD407 seems like a good choice. It is very thick and will form a thick, tough skin when allowed to dry. You can dip a part and it will build up a nice layer.

If you need it thinner, like to brush on cotton or paper in order to "corpse" a skeleton, you can easily thin it with water. That is what I have been doing and I've been very pleased with the results.

But ... Is there anyone out there who can shed some light on this topic??

·
Registered
57 Posts
RD407 is casting latex, and I would recommend that for prop making, and casting.

Ive never heard of zauders, but im pretty sure it is made for latex applications on your skin. Like fake wounds and all that jazz. Im not really sure how well this would hold up over time on a prop or skeleton.

You can also buy molding latex, which is best for making molds from plaster, gypsum, concrete or wax.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Well ill try i think that latex that is thinner and stickeir you mention is a latex is for body paint but i could be wrong. They have rd 407 great for mask, props ,appliances etc all around a good choice. Then they have a make up type latex that is thinner and i use that for making appliances blending etc. For making props to be filled with foam, mask etc i would stick to rd 407 b/c of its thickness. If your trying to make something with a make up latex your going to be there for days and it will cost you a fortune. heres what i use ben nye latex for appliances and blending and for props corpse etc i use screamline studios rd407 slush latex. Hope this helps a little bit

Mike

·
Banned
535 Posts
No need to water down rd 407 just brush it on in thin layers and if filling a mold just pour in rd 407 in the mold let it sit for a few minutes then pour the rest back out or you can just pour in swirl around and then set upside down and let excess pour out into another container :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts