Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to making halloween props and my first one I am trying is to make a head turn on a body - I have a reindeer motor that works great but I need some help making the linkage.

Can someone help with what materials I need, recommended dimensions, etc.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The really simple, compact way would be to mount the motor on a piece of wood a little bigger than the motor and put a couple of screws on either side to stop and reverse the motor. That's the one real advantage a reindeer motor has, so I try to make use of it when I can. I did the same thing with my Ouija board.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Linkage

The really simple, compact way would be to mount the motor on a piece of wood a little bigger than the motor and put a couple of screws on either side to stop and reverse the motor. That's the one real advantage a reindeer motor has, so I try to make use of it when I can. I did the same thing with my Ouija board.
Is that going to give me the same amount of rotation? I want the head to turn - will creating a linkage give more rotation, or would it be the same?

·
Registered
47 Posts
For linkage I picked up a stock aluminum bar from Home Depot for roughly $5.00. The bar is about 1/8" thick and 1" wide. I used small lock washers, nuts and bolts with hot glue to fasten linkage arms together. You could also make a small wheel or circle easy enough using a dremel circle cutter and any misc. material (i.e. thin plywood, acrylic) you have laying around.

***The amount of "rotation" or range of motion will depend on the size / length of the arm attached to the motor***

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Thanks Dave. I was trying to figure out how to demonstrate what I meant with photos but you video explains it perfectly.

I have to learn this video stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts