Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While perusing the threads within one I came across a 'recipe' for lightweight concrete. I think they were using them for tombstones. The stones we have now are straight concrete..I'd like to give the lightweight recipe a try but I can't find it and the google search didn't give me much. I think it had vermeculite in it, a specific kind of concrete and....ugh. Blank! I'd love a good recipe if you've got one! Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Vermiculite was used for insulation many years ago. You poured it from a bag and the small cubes weighed almost nothing. The cubes are about a 1/4 inch square. Of course it probably will have to be making your concrete weaker too.

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
would fiberglass cloth help with the strength? ... maybe something like burlap would work, but probably not as strong as its tensile strength is less than fiberglass ...

not to discourage anyone from using concrete for tombstones ... but i'm curious why not just use foam? is it just the weight that you want so they don't blow away?

amk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Despite my atrocious spelling..I've worked with the vermiculite (thanks!) before..just not w/concrete. The stones we have now are 40-50lbs each. A lug. I didn't know if anyone had any specific recipe using the vermiculite and the concrete and there was something else in it...
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would fiberglass cloth help with the strength? ... maybe something like burlap would work, but probably not as strong as its tensile strength is less than fiberglass ...

not to discourage anyone from using concrete for tombstones ... but i'm curious why not just use foam? is it just the weight that you want so they don't blow away?

amk
Yes, wind is a HUGE issue here! We're right off the lake in Ohio, no trees to break it up, no hills to muster it down.

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
for wind, depending upon severity, there are several solutions ... i use 24" wooden stakes that are velcro'd to my stones ... other use a pvc pipe in their home made stones that slides over rebar in the ground ... i think terra has some how to videos for the later method ... people swear on this method as well, although, i'm in a less windy area and the velcro's stakes have held up for me extremely well ...

amk

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,615 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts