Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a two part question:
1. I want to know what software you are using to edit, compile and post your Halloween videos.
2. Do you have any recommendations for dark, mystical, atmospheric, ambient, instrumental, gothic, celestial, in other words really great background music for Halloween videos. I'm looking for suggestions other than the old standards of Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate (don't get me wrong I love them both but I'm just looking for something that hasn't been overused).
3. If anyone has any tips-tricks or suggestions for making their Halloween videos, lets here about it.

I would like your input as I have tons of Halloween themed photos and videos complied over the past decade that I would like to sift through, organize and post; I'm probably the only person who has a Youtube channel with no videos.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,154 Posts
Since Microsft ended its support of Windows Movie Maker, I've turned to the suite of NHS audio / video tools for all of the editing and mixing that I do. (in addition to editing the video captures on The Big Night, this also applies to everything that I make for the display leading up to it)

It can take quite a bit of time to sift through, but I generally find a couple of Kevin MacLeod things every year that suit my needs. There are a couple of different ways you can access his fantastic royalty free music, but I generally wind up using soundcloud

I don't know if it counts as a tip or a trick, but I do like to try and focus on capturing the essence of what I feel like someone would see and hear as they walk through the display. In order to do that, I generally wait until I'm going to shut down for the night so that I can get footage of everything without any visitors, or ToTs. I feel like I get the best representation of things that way, and limit distractions for the viewer.

If you have any interest in seeing what that amounts to, here is last year's display video....nothing too fancy, and I DID use Midnight Syndicate last year for the audio track. However, I do feel like it at least represents the general approach, and that it captures what was on offer, and that's probably all that most of us are trying to achieve. :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
There is a website called mynoise.net that provides a huge library of super high quality sounds of all kinds. Most of it is free but if you make a small donation you get more sounds and the ability to combine them. I have created many background tracks from this site. To make an actual recording from the site you have to use Audacity (its free) to record what is playing on your computer. Here is a tutorial on how to do that. Here is a screen shot of a small piece of what they have.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
since my videos are only for "documenting", mainly for myself, & we're not a "commercial" enterprise, i don't edit or add any music to my videos ... they go in & out of focus due to the low light conditions ... anyways i use an older canon eos m camera

https://www.thathalloweenhouse.xyz/

amk
Yea I know what you mean. I'm using an old Sony HD handycam for video and a Nikon D3400 for photos, nothing special.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since Microsft ended its support of Windows Movie Maker, I've turned to the suite of NHS audio / video tools for all of the editing and mixing that I do. (in addition to editing the video captures on The Big Night, this also applies to everything that I make for the display leading up to it)

It can take quite a bit of time to sift through, but I generally find a couple of Kevin MacLeod things every year that suit my needs. There are a couple of different ways you can access his fantastic royalty free music, but I generally wind up using soundcloud

I don't know if it counts as a tip or a trick, but I do like to try and focus on capturing the essence of what I feel like someone would see and hear as they walk through the display. In order to do that, I generally wait until I'm going to shut down for the night so that I can get footage of everything without any visitors, or ToTs. I feel like I get the best representation of things that way, and limit distractions for the viewer.

If you have any interest in seeing what that amounts to, here is last year's display video....nothing too fancy, and I DID use Midnight Syndicate last year for the audio track. However, I do feel like it at least represents the general approach, and that it captures what was on offer, and that's probably all that most of us are trying to achieve. :)
1. I wasn't sure if most people were using free / inexpensive software or something more expensive. I have older versions of Pinnacle, Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Pinnacle is very inexpensive and easy to use but lacks the enhanced editing capabilities of Adobe products. It seems like most people are using Premiere due to it's price and capabilities. I have been experimenting with After Effects and some of its special effects to create intros for my videos and I have been pleased with the results. I decided to use one of the Adobe products for no other reason than I use Photoshop exclusively to do photo editing and it merges seamless to the video software regarding links and imports (i.e. background images, texture maps, etc...). However sometimes you just want something quick and easy.
2. Thanks for the link I will go exploring. I have a large database of free music and sound effects and I'm always looking to add new stuff. I have found that most smaller music writers (independents) are willing to let you use there music for free if you ask, give them credit and it's not for commercial use.
3. I came across a couple of books at the used book store. One is about lighting techniques that will be useful not only for photos and videos but also for prop set-up. The other is about film making and different camera techniques.

Thanks for the video link - I am a big fan of your work.

·
Super Moderator
5,823 Posts
1. I want to know what software you are using to edit, compile and post your Halloween videos.
Mostly the iphone...though I do have photoshop if I want to get serious, and my son is getting into video stuff and has downloaded a bunch of stuff, so I might play with that in the future.

2. Do you have any recommendations for dark, mystical, atmospheric, ambient, instrumental, gothic, celestial, in other words really great background music for Halloween videos. I'm looking for suggestions other than the old standards of Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate (don't get me wrong I love them both but I'm just looking for something that hasn't been overused).
Depends on theme, really.

My general go to would be Lustmord, but I peruse a lot of Dark Ambient (genre) music for the right sound.

[video]

However, if you are doing a voodoo/tribal theme, I strongly recommend Taiko music. Portland Taiko is a good place to start with that (there are bigger and technically better groups, but Portland Taiko's CDs are better quality recordings).

[video]

3. If anyone has any tips-tricks or suggestions for making their Halloween videos, lets here about it.

I would like your input as I have tons of Halloween themed photos and videos complied over the past decade that I would like to sift through, organize and post; I'm probably the only person who has a Youtube channel with no videos.
Shoot a dusk, not night. Dark enough for your lighting to show, but not full night or your camera won't like it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I use Imovie that came with my 2010 Macbook Pro and for music, Youtube has tons of free use songs in their library now....Sometimes I use Audacity for voice over stuff...I have a Nikon D3200 and a GoPro3 Black edition for cameras....Everything is old but it works good enough for what I want to do.....ZR

·
Registered
334 Posts
I sometimes miss my old K1000.. so many rolls of TMax and Ilford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
not specifically for halloween - Video editing software, both Openshot and Shotcut are free and reasonably good. Corel VideoStudio is quite good and they often have discounts/specials.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1) I make videos for the “scare” but rarely document The event. For editing needs I use Adobe AfterFX and Premire. I get these because of work but you can do a monthly subscription and only pay for a month or two if that’s all you need. Nothing beats those.
2) here are the ones I’ve used recently. many times I’ll take MANY clips and re-edit it into something new with Audacity or other audio software. This is a great way to make old overused stuff completely new again. Just a thought. I use an audio loop back plugin to capture what’s playing on my computer - so I can use clips from Spotify or wherever and remix them into something new.

Spotify link:https://open.spotify.com/playlist/30vmossGAico2uUcjs6xtl?si=iTtBhpd-THiU_nYB4hKRDQ

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
I know that everyone has different reasons for making a video of their haunt. But one of the things that I find the most frustrating about almost all of them is the fact that haunters feel a need to put background music to their haunt. I am watching your video to enjoy a glimpse at your haunt. Production values are always appreciated, but not necessarily a deal breaker. But one thing I do want to know is what you did for your audio as much as the visual. I would rather hear the distant, muffled sounds of your phone's mic recording your haunt than a background musical score added in post. For me, that's what I enjoy. I want to know if your grave grabber growls when he tries to crawl out of the grave. I want to know what sound effects you're using on the big night. I'm okay never knowing what your favorite music is to watch your Halloween videos by.

That's it. If you want to show me how great your haunt is, don't hold back and edit out the sound and replace it with music of any kind. Those are the videos that I click "like" on. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,823 Posts
I know that everyone has different reasons for making a video of their haunt. But one of the things that I find the most frustrating about almost all of them is the fact that haunters feel a need to put background music to their haunt. I am watching your video to enjoy a glimpse at your haunt. Production values are always appreciated, but not necessarily a deal breaker. But one thing I do want to know is what you did for your audio as much as the visual. I would rather hear the distant, muffled sounds of your phone's mic recording your haunt than a background musical score added in post. For me, that's what I enjoy. I want to know if your grave grabber growls when he tries to crawl out of the grave. I want to know what sound effects you're using on the big night. I'm okay never knowing what your favorite music is to watch your Halloween videos by.

That's it. If you want to show me how great your haunt is, don't hold back and edit out the sound and replace it with music of any kind. Those are the videos that I click "like" on. :)
Agreed.

Some of my older videos, I actually tried the music in the back, but it was always a track we were using on the night, but I've moved on to where I really like hearing how it actually is/was as well.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Great question...enjoying seeing the responses. I have so many photos and videos of our display that I would love to turn into a video (for personal use--don't have a full haunt to market). This year I had to learn Adobe Premiere for work to create virtual tours in the time of COVID and am excited to put those skills to use for a Halloween video. I took an 8 hour training class through Linked In Learning and then had all the basics to put something together with graphics, audio, still images etc. It is probably way more product than you need (and kind of cost prohibitive)! If you have a mac their movie tool was similar and more user friendly! Would love to see the final product with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I want to do my videos a little different. I want to show progress photos and videos of the props as they were being constructed during the year interwoven with photos and video of the display for that year. I want it to have a very artistic, graphic novel approach almost like the opening scene from the movie Trick-r-Treat. I want to use "mood" music to set and reinforce the tone but not overwhelm the images.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great question...enjoying seeing the responses. I have so many photos and videos of our display that I would love to turn into a video (for personal use--don't have a full haunt to market). This year I had to learn Adobe Premiere for work to create virtual tours in the time of COVID and am excited to put those skills to use for a Halloween video. I took an 8 hour training class through Linked In Learning and then had all the basics to put something together with graphics, audio, still images etc. It is probably way more product than you need (and kind of cost prohibitive)! If you have a mac their movie tool was similar and more user friendly! Would love to see the final product with whatever you choose!
I have both Premiere and After Effects but both seem overkill for what I need. I'm mainly using them because all my photos are edited through Photoshop.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
I want to do my videos a little different. I want to show progress photos and videos of the props as they were being constructed during the year interwoven with photos and video of the display for that year. I want it to have a very artistic, graphic novel approach almost like the opening scene from the movie Trick-r-Treat. I want to use "mood" music to set and reinforce the tone but not overwhelm the images.
A novel approach will require a novel soundtrack for sure. While I prefer the natural haunt sounds, I'm not big fan of watching prop construction videos where someone shows me how to cut wood with a screaming loud chop saw. I know what they sound like, and I put ear gear on to block that noise when I'm using them. I don't need to hear it when I'm watching videos. hahaha. There are places where letting the sound go is a blessing. Letting the construction sounds slip away and finding your muse through music would suit me just fine. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts