Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to try to work with lighting this year. I need to keep it simple because the led boards and wiring goes completely over my head and blows my mind. Screw in the bulb, stake it down, plug it in...that's what I'm aiming for.

So I want to know, would this:

http://www.partycity.com/product/green+cfl+light+bulb+13watt.do?sortby=ourPicks&size=all&carousel=true&navSet=178883

work with this?:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_72011-15527-14792GN_0__?productId=1194305&Ntt=spotlight+stake&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=spotlight+stake&facetInfo=

If not, what bulbs would work with those stakes?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
290 Posts
It will work. The stake will affect standard base bulbs and the CFL you linked is standard base. The holder is made for spot and floods but you should not have a problem. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes. That is what they are made to use but you can use the CFL. I would recommend the flood light if you are going to keep it outside. The CFL is technically not a weatherproof bulb. If you are just planning on putting it out Halloween night the CFL will be fine.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU HORRORMAN! I will go with the flood lights. I'm excited. I've seen in here how lighting props really makes all the difference.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You are welcome. Lighting can make all of the difference. Have fun with it and best of luck for a great Halloween.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The proof will be in the pictures! So far for the last couple of years, we've had window projections and self-lit inflatables. But since finding this forum right before Halloween last year, I've been inspired by the awesome haunts and props by the members in here. Thanks so much for the tips! Your answers will probably have me headed to the local Lowe's tomorrow. :D

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
I'm with jdubbya on this one. I use the clamp-on lamp housings too. Except I purchased mine from pet stores, and they're conveniently black on the outside. Slightly more expensive to be sure, but they sure do disappear in the night. ;)

I didn't go out of my way to buy those specifically, they were just left overs from an old bearded dragon & flying squirrel enclosures.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,117 Posts
I buy the clamps too in diff sizes, and spray paint the them black. They also make a heat resistant spray too. I think I have the product on my pinterest acct under lighting. I also get clear sticky wrap (not sure the techy term for it) that comes in a roll with handle at lowes or HD. I wrap the bulb around the base of the socket for weatherproofing. BUT!!! I only do this with LED bulbs because they dont get hot.
: if you buy cfl (curly bulbs) dont buy the"TCF" brand. I bought a green one and its very faint and looks like aqua blue not green. I think I got it at walmart. So I am assuming the quality of color from the others are similar.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
All of my CFLs came from Walmart (cause I was lucky about getting a $3 price match)...Matrixmom is correct on her warning. I have several in each color, most work beautifully but the color in the green is inconsistent. Some will be true green others aqua...not a big deal but still annoying if your trying to wash an entire area with one color.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Thanks for the warning & confirmation on the Walmart cfl's matrix & pumpkinpie. :) In the future, try the FEIT cfl's, they have great & consistent color. I've been using their bulbs for years, an aside from one getting broken, their all still functioning after 4 years.

Better still, FEIT's black light cfl's actually put out a good bit of UV light (as do their blue cfl's, but not as much), unlike most brands of cfl "black lights", which are more in the purple spectrum with little if any UV output at all... I know Walgreens & Lowes carry the FEIT brand, but shop between them a bit. Walgreens sometimes has them on sale for a good bit off the Lowes prices.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, sorry for the dumb questions, but do those clamp on fixtures have cords?

OOH! Blacklight bulb reviews! Add that to the list of things I eventually want to try with my haunt ala annamarykahn!

edited to ask: Is there any way I can delete my accidental duplicate thread?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes they do. Walmart has them too.
*sings* AWE-SOOOOMMMME! That would work for lighting our props in the driveway, hanging the lights from our house or trees.

Along those lines, I guess I should go with the more expensive LED bulbs for tree-hanging, huh?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts