Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of replacing my old school halogen flood lights with LED flood lights. Thoughts on wattage? I was thinking 10W would do the trick. I have a medium sized yard that I set up in a grave yard theme.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree, the 10W LED floodlights like those are really nice, and highly versatile. I haven't used that brand yet, but I have about 2 dozen of the Escolite 10W LED floodlights (http://amzn.to/2grK7nV) and really like them.

Unlike normal bulbs, you can change the color of these once they're set up in place. We often will not decide on a color scheme for a scene or room until after we have the lights set up and will go through the color combinations until we find what works best. They're also dimmable via the remote, so you have options available if it's too much light (though the dimming is sort of only 5 or 6 levels of dimming).

I also have a 20W LED floodlight like this, but as far as I can tell, the light isn't twice as bright, so not convinced they're worth the extra cost (IMHO, if you need more light, use more 10W LED lights).

One note, though, The RGB colors are pretty good, but the mixed colors aren't always what you'd expect, so if you need a specific hue of color (orange, purple, etc.), using gels or a specific bulb might be a better solution.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ok I went to Menards after work today and picked up 53 Zilotek 13W Colored Flood lights. They had red, Blue, and Green. And yes i cleaned them out of blue and green and like 8 red. They are 100W Incandescent equivalent. They are on sale for $3.99 until saturday 9/2/2017. And you get an 11% rebate as well. So total about $3.95 per bulb.

s-l300.jpg

The same as all Incandescent Bulbs. Now for me these will work great as the 100W Incandescent are what I use now. We have 30+ of these in our display which is 3000W or approximately 28 amps on 5 different circuits. Adding 6 to 8 amps per circuit. These will be about 390W or approximately 3.5 amps or less than an amp per circuit. I should have done this years ago but have never really seen a deal like this on LED flood Lights. I already have all the stake sockets for them so for me it was just the cost of the bulbs. The stake sockets I can usually pick up for $5 each.

I plugged them in when i got home and just as bright but a lot better color than a lot of the incandescent have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts