Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi follow haunters. Here is my issue. I want to set up a program either through my laptop computer, or other devise, that might be on the market, in which the lights in my cemetery will come on and go off by themselves at different time intervals. I want the lights, in which I have 12 spots, go on and off, one at a time or several at a time without me worrying about it during the night.
In other words, I plug the power source into a GFI at the house, run it to the computer or other device that might be used, then run the supplies out to the lights. The program would then run the lights and have them come on or go off one at a time on one side of the yard, or have two go on and off on each side of the yard and so on. I hope you get my drift with this ? Let me know if I have first of all posted this right or where I can look to find this program. I don't want to spend a ton of money but help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Well there are several ways you can go for this. You can go with Light-O-Rama which is a combination of a computer program and controls that power the lights, or you can go with just about any decent microcontroller and some relays. If you're not good with writing code for a microcontroller, another option would be the HC-8+ from EFX-TEK.com. This controller can run complex programs from a MicroSD card which are compiled using VIXEN software (freeware), no programming skills are needed to use VIXEN. You would still need relays along with the HC-8+.

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
I would do some research on the DIY Christmas sites. You may also want to send a PM to Halstaff, he has done exactly what you are describing in his graveyard.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SavageEye. I'll work on contacting Halstaff. Right now work is long and I'm exhausted at the end of the day.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I did basically the same thing with my Light-o-rama this past Christmas. I didn't have time to program songs, so I played around and randomly turned props on and off and looked at what different timing sequences would do. Then I just looped it all night. You can also program the lights to fade in and out, strobe effects...etc. If you are using LEDs, some of those features might not work because not all LEDs are dimmable.

One of the things I do at Halloween, where things are set to music, is that I'll hang 8 strands of white mini lights up in the tree the same way they come out of the box, each on their own channel, and then randomly turn them on and off to get a lightning effect. Lightorama boxes come with 16 channels.

Pricewise it may be overkill, but if you decorate for Christmas too then the investment would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Scatterbrains, I do decorate at Christmas. The whole house and yard. We have won 'Best House' several times. Maybe it might be worth the cost.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right I can't afford putting out lots of money. All I want the lights to do is come on and go off at random. I've got some ideas on what to do, I just need to put the system together and test it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts