Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used the white, ball-matrix styrofoam to make tombstones last week (couldn't fit the pink insulation sheets in the car), & they seemed to come out really well. The little balls kinda look like stone particles. We used all sorts of epitaphs: horror fiction writers (ex. H.P. Lovecraft with "Cthulu waits", Bram Stoker with a carved bat), Latin ("death follows life"), jokes ("Resten Pieces").

We spray painted them with a stone faux finish spray paint that is a deep gray with black & white fibers in it. The paint texturizes it and sort of looks like granite. The spray paint is water based and I found it at JoAnn's Fabrics. I can't find the brand name on their website, but I know I've seen the paint at Lowe's or Home Depot, too. The spray paint is made to paint outdoor stuff to look like stone. I need to buy more paint, and I think I'll try different shades (they make a light, medium, and dark gray, and a verdigris green, which might make a nice accent).

Victoria

·
Registered
107 Posts
Shoot, my response was supposed to go under tombstones. Typing too fast, sorry group.

If the forum master wants to move the message, please be my guest.

Victoria

·
Registered
239 Posts
Actually, my friend and I built one of these last year with two seperate "light" channels. They worked GREAT, and cost about the same to build, maybe a bit more because of the project box. It needed two "light organs" and some experience with soldering, but was well worth it. If I find the link I'll post it here for the plans. The effect was GREAT as it would rise and fall depending on the sound of the thunder.

We used floor lamps with those new Compact Flourescent lights that were WHITE, they flashed VERY good and the effect was really realistic.

-Stryker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts