Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have some ideas of a project I wanted to get working on for Halloween just not sure of where to start. I'd like to put together a sequence in some software where I layout 2 video tracks, lights, and possibly some background audio. The computer this is running on would likely need to interface with some controller (DMX?) that would send 1 video track to one projector and the other video track to another projector during certain portions sequence and also trigger lights. I've heard good thing about light-o-rama and xlights, just not sure if they're powerful enough or have all the capabilities I need. Just looking for advice on where to start. Any insight would be appreciated!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I also recommend my own software, DAZL, as an option (miserybay-software.com). It does not have built-in video playback per se; one would use the DAZL Player software. or hardware video players such as a MedeaWiz Sprite or BrightSign LS422, with playback triggered by the DAZL software. We support a bunch of DMX controllers (not to mention servo/motor/GPIO controllers). This software grew out of ideas I have used my whole life for Halloween. It's purpose made for just such displays. Think of it as a Holiday Show Operating System.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The only software/hardware I've used for the type of project you're planning is Light-o-Rama. The LOR software and controller, at its most basic level, turn multiple electrical circuits on and off on cue. I'll be using it to orchestrate my ghost train display, which will include motors, pneumatic cylinders, lights, sounds, and a fog machine. It can work with a triggerable video media player like the Sprite, but you'll have to add a relay (see Frightprops) between the controller and the player. LOR can trigger a mini mp3 player, but you'll need a 12-volt power adapter between the player and the controller. If the motors are wiper motors, you'll also need 12-volt adapters. The solenoid valves for pneumatic cylinders come in AC or DC versions, so you may or may not need a power adapter. I'm not suggesting that the LOR solution is the best...it's just the only solution I know how to use. I'm going to check out dpeterson's DAZL software, but I'm committed to LOR for this year. Whatever you decide, do it soon because you'll need time to become acquainted with the software, controller and add-ons. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only software/hardware I've used for the type of project you're planning is Light-o-Rama. The LOR software and controller, at its most basic level, turn multiple electrical circuits on and off on cue. I'll be using it to orchestrate my ghost train display, which will include motors, pneumatic cylinders, lights, sounds, and a fog machine. It can work with a triggerable video media player like the Sprite, but you'll have to add a relay (see Frightprops) between the controller and the player. LOR can trigger a mini mp3 player, but you'll need a 12-volt power adapter between the player and the controller. If the motors are wiper motors, you'll also need 12-volt adapters. The solenoid valves for pneumatic cylinders come in AC or DC versions, so you may or may not need a power adapter. I'm not suggesting that the LOR solution is the best...it's just the only solution I know how to use. I'm going to check out dpeterson's DAZL software, but I'm committed to LOR for this year. Whatever you decide, do it soon because you'll need time to become acquainted with the software, controller and add-ons. Good luck!
Awesome thanks for all that! Right after my initial post I remember I reached out to LOR last year about video playback through their software and they replied with this link. It looks like if I'm just using one projector, I can use the HDMI off my PC to the projector and just have it play from the sequence which might suffice for this year. In the future I can purchase 2 sprite players and trigger each of them independently in the sequence. I also have some other wiper motor and solenoid props powered by arduinos and raspberry Pi's so it would be nice to consolidate them. I'll definitely will also check out DAZL, I have much research to do! Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you already have a raspberry pi or two in your setup, why not just use that? A python script can read sensors/buttons, play audio/video, and via the GPIO with a relay board control lights and solenoid.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've used a WIZnet TCP/IP to TTL serial converter (WIZ107SR-TTL) to control a MedeaWiz Sprite over a network. This served me better than running a really long serial cable (or other shenanigans, for what it's worth).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts