Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really really like the lightening and thunder effects for outdoor use that I have seen many of you use. I have decided that will be my off season purchase. What do you have, where did you get it, what do you like/dislike ? I really need some good recommendations as I really don't know what's available out there today. I have seen many that I liked, but everyone said "Oh I bought that years ago". Suggestions?

·
Registered
14,222 Posts
I really really like the lightening and thunder effects for outdoor use that I have seen many of you use. I have decided that will be my off season purchase. What do you have, where did you get it, what do you like/dislike ? I really need some good recommendations as I really don't know what's available out there today. I have seen many that I liked, but everyone said "Oh I bought that years ago". Suggestions?
sent you a PM.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sent you a PM.
Thank you!

I did a search of the forum and I saw posts about thunder effects but the items or links were so old they no longer worked or the item was outdated and the newer things were not the same. Plus, technology has changed dramatically just in the last 5 years so DIY is outdated for many things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My lightning is an old box (black, with a red lightning bolt on the top, a dial, an audio input, and 120v in/out) for the control and an LED worklight. The only complaint is that I need either a long audio cord or a long power cord to place it at the street side of my yard

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use the Perfect Storm, it comes with a CD of some great thunder sounds. Add some powered speakers with good bass and a couple halogen work lamps and you are good to go. I have had my perfect storm for 7 years now and love it.

·
Registered
14,222 Posts
For people looking for a simple solution for their lightning, the much sought after and long-time discontinued Can You Imagine light/sound control boxes are a great solution. The company manufactured a Christmas Tree version (with green tree on it) and a Halloween version sporting a lightning bolt on it (and black case box). Same product however inside although the Halloween version shipped with a CD with thunder and lightning soundtrack. The xmas tree version one will require you to supply the track on an iPod/mp3/older phone for example with audio out. Not everyone knows about the xmas version and to look for it, especially as more years passed.

The xmas tree version sold for less due likely to greater volume and being sold all over, so haunters would look for that version if they could find it. Anyway a search for OP for a solution turned up a half dozen or so of the xmas version on Ebay right now so wanted to mention here before all bought up. Search Ebay for “christmas tree fx”.

here’s a few photos from one of my boxes

your audio source for thunder/lightning track needs to be able to use the audio jack so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I use Perfect Storm 2.0. It is fantastic and very cheap. Has a sensitivity knob to adjust the light. I usually get the best results turned all the way up. Get a Y adapter plug one end into the unit the other end into the speakers, the final cable into the MP3 player. You'll love it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For people looking for a simple solution for their lightning, the much sought after and long-time discontinued Can You Imagine light/sound control boxes are a great solution. The company manufactured a Christmas Tree version (with green tree on it) and a Halloween version sporting a lightning bolt on it (and black case box). Same product however inside although the Halloween version shipped with a CD with thunder and lightning soundtrack. The xmas tree version one will require you to supply the track on an iPod/mp3/older phone for example with audio out. Not everyone knows about the xmas version and to look for it, especially as more years passed.

The xmas tree version sold for less due likely to greater volume and being sold all over, so haunters would look for that version if they could find it. Anyway a search for OP for a solution turned up a half dozen or so of the xmas version on Ebay right now so wanted to mention here before all bought up. Search Ebay for “christmas tree fx”.

here’s a few photos from one of my boxes
View attachment 743052

View attachment 743053

View attachment 743054

your audio source for thunder/lightning track needs to be able to use the audio jack so keep that in mind.
That's the one I have - except mine's the black one with the red bolt.

It does require you provide your own audio (RCA jack), but that's kinda nice - I grabbed a bunch of thunder tracks off the internet and play them from an MP3 player, so I have complete control

·
Registered
34 Posts
Morris Perfect Storm. For all the above reasons. Easy to use. Well built. Great price. Has a 1hour CD all you need is an outdoor work light and a CD player. A seven year old could set it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What fsanders said, from an E Sanders. I did check Goodwill often and found an old receiver, Polk Speakers, and a Sony Sub Woofer to generate reasonable thunder sound relatively close to the patio where we have a Halloween party. About 200 feet away behind some trees I use LED work lights. I have used that setup for a few years, and it is one of the things that always gets comments. With extension cords I have maybe $120 in it, but it really looks cool!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts