Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just realizing that it's almost Halloween and I don't have a costume even thought up yet. I'm thinking I want to do something like a black bodysuit with led strip lights all over. But, having trouble finding things for it. I'm thinking I could do a rgb strip light like this one:https://www.amazon.com/Rxment-Lights-Remote-300LEDs-Christmas/dp/B00WRDG9CQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8F4ZB6ZXY1CDVV90R2FK

Then I realised that I need some way to power it. This is where I'm completely out of ideas. All of the light strips like that run on AC plugs. Any reasonably priced (under 50 bucks) power supply I can find doesn't have AC outlets. The cheapest one I found was $120. I'm thinking maybe something that converts battery power (like aa, aaa, etc.) to AC power.

My dad is an electrical engineer, so he could probably figure out wiring and stuff if needed. I just need some kind of power supply under 50 bucks that will supply something like that.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Generally this sort of thing uses EL wire - like a long, flexible, battery operated glowstick. They don't change colors like those LED strips, though. But, it's cooler than the LED strips (which don't get super hot, but do get a little warm) which is why it's generally used on costumes. I'd recommend looking into this before you settle on LEDs.

You can get battery converters for around $20-30(?), but they generally are for like a car or similar BIG battery - not made for carrying around.

I'd like to think that you could swap out the plug-in adapter for a battery pack, but I don't have enough experience to tell you how to do so.

·
Registered
967 Posts
^I'd agree about the EL wire. I saw someone at the weekend that had done a Halo armour suit with outlining detail in blue EL and it looks great when it is dark.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also agree with kakugori and DandyBrit and -- For the effect you want, EL wire is the way to go with this -- the problem with the LED strips is that they will draw too much current and will drain batteries quickly _and_ they aren't as good at tight corners so not as friendly for your application... On the other hand, EL wire is more like a string or thread (still can't bend it too much but way easier to work with) -- And you can get it in different colors -- run them in closely in parallel and I've seen some sequenced to make animated effects -- let your imagination loose. But since this is your first project with them, be mindful it's a bit daunting to start an elaborate project so close to Halloween, and troubleshooting electronic faults isn't fun on Halloween night ! Ahhh the terror of broken props! (Sorry I digressed there...) May I recommend for information and tutorials, (and they sell supplies if you want to buy from them -- BTW: I am not connected to the company, but I meet them and they're nice people) Search for "Cool Neon" @ Funhouse Productions -- they're located in Oakland, CA and they specialize in what you're trying to do ( they help people @ Burning man, Maker Faire, etc. ) You can get amazing results. Let us know what you decide to do! -- Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts