Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time last year (in 2013) I got my inspiration by an over the top but way over done collection of prop potion bottles lit up in vast colors and shapes. It looked awesome but just... too ...much. The bottles were producing way too much light to give the creepy effect. I guess it might work in the Harry Potter world (which isn't bad because Im all about the Harry Potter world) but it didn't have the subtle glow I think the original creator was looking for. Im looking for more of a creepy dark laboratory or witches dank and mysterious tower.

I included the original for comparison (and again the creator did a great job with the build and environment) and dressed the prop beautifully. Its just too much light.

So I took the same build approach but used different bottles and different lighting to get the soft lighting I was looking for.

The original build that I borrowed the idea from - used a florescent tube as the light source - which might explain why the bottles put out such a strong glow. I decided to use a string of pure white LEDs inside (and it was cost cutting too). I used about a spoon of milk to cloud up the soapy water just slightly. It actually made the glow brighter. Soapy water and food coloring alone would not bounce the light around in the bottles with the softer light source I had.

Anyway I wanted to show a few pics of the raw build and finished. Again I want to thank the original builder, his amazing idea spawned my creation. Im all about giving credit where it's due.

Attachments

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,936 Posts
I did something very similar to that last year. I found that fabric softener worked pretty well at diffusing the light and did not settle very much over time. I first tried straight food coloring - was not opaque enough, then I tried a dab of paint - settled too quickly, a little elmers glue - suspended ok, but settled after a few days. The fabric softener did the trick finally with a dab of food coloring added. I did a couple with no liquid too. Heres a pic of mine...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I heard that tonic water will work really good with a black light. Are these bottles with just a spot light or are they with a black light. Also I was wondering if you put milk in it, wouldn't the milk spoil and smell. I didn't know if you would be able to smell it or not. However, I do love the ideas, I am doing my first "Witches Coven" this year. I would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never thought of the fabric softener. Im going to try that this go around. Thanks!

BTW your bottles came out well!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does but if you add just a small amount of liquid laundry detergent it has enough phosphorous in it to make black lights react very well. I

f you don't want to go overkill with blacklights the potion light box is a great way to go - even though it gets pricey.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I saw in the garden section of Biglots a string of white LED lights that can go in water. The battery pack has to stay on the outside tho'. They are 50% off at $4(after discount) I believe and I wondered about using them for lighting potion bottles.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is really cool. Thanks for sharing! It took me a second to figure out how/where the light was coming from; still not sure, but I guess there are small holes in the wood directly under each bottle, with a small LED bulb in the hole?

Really super nice display!

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
First off, I love this! Nice work!

Do I understand correctly that the formula used is:

Water
Food Coloring
Milk (or Fabric Softener)

Last year I used the insides of a Highlighter soaked in water. It worked ok, kind of expensive compared to what i believe your formula is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To get the pink out go 50/50 on a regular red marker and then add the florescent red marker. It should kill some of the pink affect.

Try that and see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts