Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever figure what kind of dc motor that gemmy uses... for example when a motor no longer functions.. what is the specifications of a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This motor I am referring to is found in waist or head .. it moves the head side to side or waist back and forth...seen in frankenstein..leatherface..myers..jason..ghostface..freddy.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
It varies from prop to prop.
Its usually either a 6vdc 8vdc or 12vdc motor.
Sad part is most of the time it's not the motor that goes bad, its the control board in the bottom.
Those things have extremely weak power supplies on the board that fail all the time.
For example if a motor goes one direction but wont reverse on its own only if you gently force it then you have a bad power supply on the board.
I have been plagued over the past few months with people ( some on this forum that have sent me they're Gemmy life size animated props only to find out there's nothing I could do to fix them.
Gears can be replaced if stripped, motors can be replaced if burnt or acting jittery ( usually the caps or resistors in line ) but if the motor isn't getting equal voltage in forward and then reverse you have a bad board but even then......it can get even trickier.
I'm actually in the process of fixing a arm on a Michael Myers Rob Zombie newer version right now and I replaced the capacitors on the motor, installed a new motor and inline resistor and even though the voltage was there there wasn't enough current / amps to drive the motor in reverse and the only real way to know if the current is right is to have a 100 percent guaranteed working motor with 100 percent guaranteed working capacitors to know the true load.
Only to find out that all the work was in vain.
I'm a electronics engineer and a mechanical engineer and after having a bunch of these guys apart for repair, I even tried to tackle how to fix the control boards and let me just say for the record ( Jesus on crutches ) that the design of the board and lay out is insaine, they use the tightest packed board with the absolute cheapest parts they can grab and throw together and don't even get me started on the soldering jobs.
I've seen 15yr old hobbies do a better job at soldering, cold soldiers all over the place, so bad that you might get lucky and find a intermittent problem was due to a crappy cold solder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It varies from prop to prop.
Its usually either a 6vdc 8vdc or 12vdc motor.
Sad part is most of the time it's not the motor that goes bad, its the control board in the bottom.
Those things have extremely weak power supplies on the board that fail all the time.
For example if a motor goes one direction but wont reverse on its own only if you gently force it then you have a bad power supply on the board.
I have been plagued over the past few months with people ( some on this forum that have sent me they're Gemmy life size animated props only to find out there's nothing I could do to fix them.
Gears can be replaced if stripped, motors can be replaced if burnt or acting jittery ( usually the caps or resistors in line ) but if the motor isn't getting equal voltage in forward and then reverse you have a bad board but even then......it can get even trickier.
I'm actually in the process of fixing a arm on a Michael Myers Rob Zombie newer version right now and I replaced the capacitors on the motor, installed a new motor and inline resistor and even though the voltage was there there wasn't enough current / amps to drive the motor in reverse and the only real way to know if the current is right is to have a 100 percent guaranteed working motor with 100 percent guaranteed working capacitors to know the true load.
Only to find out that all the work was in vain.
I'm a electronics engineer and a mechanical engineer and after having a bunch of these guys apart for repair, I even tried to tackle how to fix the control boards and let me just say for the record ( Jesus on crutches ) that the design of the board and lay out is insaine, they use the tightest packed board with the absolute cheapest parts they can grab and throw together and don't even get me started on the soldering jobs.
I've seen 15yr old hobbies do a better job at soldering, cold soldiers all over the place, so bad that you might get lucky and find a intermittent problem was due to a crappy cold solder.

I am having the same problem with a life size ghoul were the head and shoulder do not move. The arm, eyes and mouth are fine. confirmed it wasn't wiring or motors by swapping both of the motors into the socket for the arm wiring and both are working. This means it is an issue with the board. I agree. The boards are using cheap components and poorly put together. When I have more time I am going to try and tackle down to the component level. If anyone has any schematics or exerience with these boards I would appreciate the help. I will keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts