Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Just wanted to share and document as I build Zero to go alongside my Life Size Jack (I've just about finished his Santa costume, so I wanted to get started on Zero!

There is Jack in his regular outfit. And below are the pics of the in-progress Santa suit. Have to fix the boots, and make the belt and hat!

He's so close!!

Here's the beginnings of Zero. Wire mesh, foam ball, and paper mache so far. I want him as light as possible so he can hang in the air next to Jack. The first layer of paper is on and drying (I hate waiting!!), then I am going to sculpt the hollows of his eyes and do another layer of paper mache.

Question, I'm debating covering his ears in fabric vs paper mache? His body is going to be a white sheet with wire sewn into the hem, so it's posable. I could do the same with the ears, use wire mesh and then fabric.. Or I could cover them with paper mache and they'd be static in that position, more or less.

I would love your opinions and thoughts! :)

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:)Your Zero is looking so good, great idea using the wire mesh. It's lightweight, but you have so much control with it. I am so envious of your Jack!:eek: Where did you get him? Did you make him??? Oh, and kudos to your mad sewing skills. :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Those are amazing! I've never seen that kind of wire mesh before. What is it? And I know what you mean about waiting between paper mache layers.

I am also jealous of your sewing skills. I took a class once, but it didn't stick. Still have a dress that needs a zipper in the closet.

Can't wait to see the finished props together. They are exceptional!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:)Your Zero is looking so good, great idea using the wire mesh. It's lightweight, but you have so much control with it. I am so envious of your Jack!:eek: Where did you get him? Did you make him??? Oh, and kudos to your mad sewing skills. :D
Thank you! Just finished the second layer on his ears and the first layer of rough sculpting for his face. Just have to wait for it to dry!

Jack is a limited edition run of 500 life size figures back in 2006 for SDCC. https://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana/1868319635

I managed to get my hands on one after all these years from a seller on eBay. You see them pop up once in while, I was lucky to get one that was in tact (a lot of them were damaged their first time shipping out). But if you keep your eyes peeled I'm sure another one will pop up! Last year 2 popped up before I got mine.

And the sewing skills aren't all mine, my mom has helped me SO much with this project, his jacket was especially tough to get right. So I can't take all the credit! ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are amazing! I've never seen that kind of wire mesh before. What is it? And I know what you mean about waiting between paper mache layers.

I am also jealous of your sewing skills. I took a class once, but it didn't stick. Still have a dress that needs a zipper in the closet.

Can't wait to see the finished props together. They are exceptional!
Here's all the stuff I'm using for this project:

And I just finished the first layer of Zero's sculpting (it will be refined and sanded down later, just getting the rough shape down and his eye sockets in place)

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:)Yummy, thank you! I will definitely keep my eyes out for one of those Jacks. I just drool at the very thought of having one of my very own. I love full size statues myself, and have a really funky reindeer that I put over my front door for Christmas. And I guess he is articulated as well? (WOW!) Your Zero is looking just great, I love the shape and the texture you have going. (and of course the mandatory pumpkin nose) ;) Looks like your house is going to be the one to watch for Halloween, Christmas, etc. Well done you, the Zero is really something! (I like your idea of the wire at the base of Zero's flutter, it will work perfectly) And even though it's your Mom that is sewing the stuff, it's your inspiration that is fueling it. I, too, am not gifted in the sewing department, but I am fortunate to have to sisters that can sew like the wind. They do everything for me, and I pay them back with the things I am good at. Family is GREAT!:D

BTW, your Santa beard is spot on!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congratulations ? to superlucky you :)

Naked Jack?
Do you have more pictures of how he has been put technically together?
Thinking specifically on his joints (ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, toes), hands and feet.
What kind of material is the head and fingers made of (fiberglass?). Same for his arms, neck and legs (steel, plastic?).
Where is the vertical pole "hitting" him and how is it to dismantle him (e.g for shift of clothes)?

And yes, is little santa Jack from Neca?

I have been looking for a life size Jack for some time now and if you ever consider to sell him I will be more than happy to buy him from you ? ?

Greetings from Norway ??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts