Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can buy prop stands? I’m having a hard time finding any online. I am referring to the tree stand type of prop indicated in the picture below. I bought a prop and it was missing the center piece that connects all of the feet together. I suppose if there are other types of stands that would connect with the same kind of metal poles that are used in a lot of these life-size props, that would work also.

6CB11FD5-1B52-473A-9605-C3D648585766.jpeg

·
Registered
872 Posts
I didn't even know there was such a thing. That looks like a modified patio umbrella stand. I use Christmas tree stands with great success. You can pick them up cheap at second hand and thrift stores. Think about it...if they can hold up an 8 foot Christmas tree, they can hold up a haunt life sized prop. Just a thought if you'll really stuck.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot of the life-size props come with that type of stand, and they’re all pretty much the same too, regardless of who makes it. They’re very cheaply made, where the 4 feet at the bottom are plastic, and the pole is a series of metal tubes that come together with plastic connectors.

I probably should have clarified that I’m looking for something inexpensive, and something I don’t have to make myself (such as out of PVC). The best option is probably to buy a weighted umbrella stand such as in the pic below, but the problem is that the cheapest I can find is around $20-25. I have an immediate need for one stand, because a prop that I recently bought is missing the main connector, but in the future I’m hoping to find a better solution for all of my life size props to make them more stable. I’m not sure Christmas tree stands will work because I think the pole will be too skinny for the clamps to effectively hold onto. I may buy one just to test it out if I can find one cheap enough, because even those the cheapest I could find was around $20. For that cost, I’d rather buy the weighted umbrella base because that’s going to be way more stable.

8D06985F-5675-4E27-9F92-BB6A59F9AF7A.jpeg

·
Registered
285 Posts
My first thought was Christmas tree stands, not the ones for real trees but the artificial ones that look like your picture . I buy the 6.5' trees for my outdoor Christmas display, I don't use the base for the tree however they would make a good prop stand. The poles are a little bigger than the prop stands at about 3/4".

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
If you're making your own prop and you have 2 PVC poles for the legs, the best base I've found is the base of the Rock Band drum set. You can usually find these at garage sales or FB marketplace for $10 to $15. The cylinders go up two to three feet and the 1/4" PVC slides right in. Your props stand up straight and secure.

You can also make your own stand with PVC. Do a search for 5 Way PVC Connector. Cut 4 pieces of PVC to 1 foot. Add caps to the ends so it doesn't wobble.

View attachment 563869

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 4.45.48 PM.png

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The kind of props I am talking about do not have legs. They’re just an upper body with a head and arms, and somewhere in the middle the upper body piece is a metal pole. That metal pole connects to the other metal pole pieces that connect to the stand that sits on the floor. The problem with PVC is I have no idea if that would fit these existing metal poles (I’m guessing PVC is much larger in diameter).

I bought a $20 weighted umbrella stand from Walmart that should be here in a few days. I didn’t want to spend a lot, but I also want them to be stable and whatever solution I go with I am going to eventually replicate across my 10 or so other props, so even though $20 isn’t much, it adds up when you multiply that by however many props you have! And even though these are indoor only props, I have animals that like to get up underneath the fabric and play, which causes them to fall over, which doesn’t really take much anyway. So I do need them to be stable. I don’t want to have to go buy more bags of sand, and then have to worry about storing that sand once the season is over. Thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have used a Wide H PVC stand using a 3/4" inch pipe to hold props up. The inside diameter fits up to a half inch pole. It is 3 T couplers and some pipe cost me about 6 buck to make it.

Glue the H together and drill a screw in the portion that goes up so you can flat pack it. If a prop gets a little too heavy you can add 1/2" dowel in it for strength. You can also use lawn staples are sandbags to hold the legs if your in a windy area.

I said used to because now I just use PVC and a chicken wire fence post and drive it into the ground.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If your lifesize props will be out on the lawn like mine I use cut PVC and drive it down into the ground. One pole for each leg. For some of my biggest or heavier creatures I use cut rebar and drive that in first then the PVC over that. They don't fall over at all even in windy conditions. Of course that won't be a good idea if they are going inside over your hardwood floors or a concrete patio.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All of my props are indoor props, and they only have one “leg” that connects them to the base at the floor.

I didn’t want to get into making my own, because honestly PVC is going to have the same stability issues, because not only do I have to worry about general top -heaviness with these types of props, I have to worry about cats that like to play underneath the garment material, causing it further instability.

I found the perfect solution though, and at an amazing price! I found these umbrella base “half” stands for less than $10 a piece. They weigh about 25 lbs and work like a charm!

5905C4A7-9FCF-4175-B73F-179BB3D5BF73.jpg

CFB1215E-0BE5-4553-ADE4-6945043F9AED.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should try 1 " PVC anyway, it doesn't flex or bend at 5-6 foot poles, I've found that with heavy clothing or a weighty mask, assuming a 6 foot length for a life-size character, the 3/4" pole flexes under load making it less sturdy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For me personally, I like to use old microphone stands. Specifically, the ones with the tripod base where the legs fold outward. Then I just secure each prong using a hooked tent spike if the display is going outside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like a good fit, but I'm not a musician so I don't own a mic stand....sounds like it might be costly, or hard to find
second hand. Thanks for sharing,
I got 20 feet of 1" pvc, figure I'll leave a 6 foot piece, I got a "cross" connector, figure I'll add a 2 foot piece atop the 5 ft
for a head, then 2 5 foot "arms" with 45 degree angle connectors for elbows. Does this sound plausible?
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have this sentinel essentially on a 3/4" pvc slipped onto the tripod microphone stand base, which is great bc I can relocate him indoors easily when the season's over (no need to pound a rebar spike into my hardwood floors, lol). It also makes the height adjustable on the fly. Outside, this guy stands 8' tall. Indoors, I would just lower the stand and bring him down to 6' if needed.

IMG_2167.jpg

And this is the setup.

micstand.jpg

·
Registered
701 Posts
All of my props are indoor props, and they only have one “leg” that connects them to the base at the floor.

I didn’t want to get into making my own, because honestly PVC is going to have the same stability issues, because not only do I have to worry about general top -heaviness with these types of props, I have to worry about cats that like to play underneath the garment material, causing it further instability.

I found the perfect solution though, and at an amazing price! I found these umbrella base “half” stands for less than $10 a piece. They weigh about 25 lbs and work like a charm!

View attachment 570199

View attachment 570201
where did you find these!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts