Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I'm not around much these days people, it's not that I haven't thought of you, it's just mother Nature has been keeping us hopping with our flood. Not sure how much you here down south about news up here but my city was declared a State of Provincal Emergency as with all the snow we had and then a sudden warm front brought warm temps and a hell of a lot of heavy rain with caused Massive Flooding, mudslides, avalaches, road closures, infrarautre problems as roads have collapsed livestock needing rescuing and unsanitary water problems etc etc etc.

There are tons of photos that I have but the only way I know how to post them is onto photobucket first, and well I'm just to tired to do it, but I did find someones little clip showing only a grain of salt worth of what's going on. Will keep in touch.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hey Duchess...

Be careful out there! BC's been all over the headlines since the monster storm and the deaths of those snowmobilers, it's unbelievable the amount of weather related mess out there right now. Are things starting to get a bit better?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Oh dear , that looks really bad Dutchess , are you (house) affected as what we see in the video you posted ?

i am thinking of you my friend and sending good toughts your way i hope the weather will be kind to help resolve all this water everywhere .

stay safe (big hugs)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Barbarella, Yes our beautiful Province is being hammered by mother nature this year. And yes the whole province seems to be having it's share of weather related issues.
The death of those 8 snowmobilers in Fernie BC on Dec 28th was such a terrible tragedy. It was actually eleven all together but 3 managed to claw through the snow to saftey. They were all only in their 20's and 30's. And were all well outfitted, had all the proper safety equipment and were well prepared and properly trained for avalanche risks, all skilled outdoorsmen. The first avalanche buried the group of 7 while they were resting at the base of a hill when a cornice let loose and came down at them travelling 150 pr hour. A second group heard their shouts for help and hurried over to help and started digging the buried riders out when the second avalnach came down and buried them all. 2 dug themselves out and rescued a third by using their emergency locator beacon devices. Nobody's at fault, it's just a risk that comes with the sport. Poor Sparwood BC though, where all the victims were from, it's a tiny coal mining community of only 4,000 people, and all the men grew up together, worked together and were related in some manner, everybody knows everyone there, but luckly it's a very close community and they've really rallied around one another, but still, to lose 8 members of your community in one day, and so young. They all worked at the coal mine, so they mine was hit hard also.
But it's been tragedy on most of our popular resorts thie year. DId you hear about the one in Terrace BC. A 39 year old American snowmobiler was buried along with his son and a group of heli snowboarders in an avalanch on Alice Mountian. The group managed to rescue everybody from the snow, and the 39 year old was taken by helicopter to Terrace hosptial and then transferred to a Washinton Medical Facility where he passed away, his son is fine though, well as fine as can be under those devistating circumstances. It had been their 3rd run of the day. And the Ever popular Whistler BC and Blackcome Resorts have also had fatalities, it's just been aweful. The Mountains and it's snow pack attract people from all over the world and usually it's all good with the odd exceptions of those who fail to adhear to the out of bounds rules, but this year, that just hasn't been the case, we had a great deal of unusal weather systems come through, and the mountain conditions are just becoming severe now.
We're still getting rained on, so yes we're still dealing with issues, but you just keep going and help those around you and get through it. Spring might be an even uglier situation for us, but only time will tell.
Yes, I've been hearing our little province is making a few headlines, it's been kinda weird seeing military and emergency helicopters flying over so much, and media planes as well.
We'll get through it. I find it so hard seeing all the animals that just get struck with fear and won't get out of harms way, they freeze, and trying to rescue them can be a challange at times, especally when your dealing with large cattle, horses, pigs, goats, etc, but everyone just comes together and figure out a way to get them to safety.
Thanks for your concern, it's apprecaited, all of you:)

And I heard from a friend yesterday who lives in London that you guys are now getting our snow storm we had, hows that going? Hope you don't have the same sudden melt we did.
You see, for us here in Chilliwack that's what happened, we got all the snow, and then everything froze, then wham! overnight we had a sudden warm weather front come through causing massive melting. Going from -13 to +11 in less then 24 hours is dangerously bizzare.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Costumer, Hell we're going through NOTHING like what you poor souls went through. Hurricane Katrina shook our city very hard, we all wanted to leave and go there and help, many of us registered to depart with emergencey crews that were leaving from all around our province to go, but so many people registered but it was just too many people, so many of us didn't get to go. I had registered with an animal organization that was going down with vets from here to do the animal rescue operation, but again they had to short list it cause just to many people. But I did donate to one of the American Animal Rescue groups to help out with Hurricane Katrina animal victims, I couldn't just stand by and feel totally helpless as many of us were feeling.
My word, what you people went through down in New Orleans can still bring tears to my eyes! And I still dream of going there one day, especally the French Quarter, Anne Rice Estates, Cemeteries, blues clubs etc.
Thank-You for thinking of us though, and yes you'd know better then anyone else I know what it feels like.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey my fellow Canadian Witch! No my house isn't in that video. There is a great deal of footage and pictures out there on what's been going on, but I can figure out how to post most of them so I at least found that tiny blurb on you tube.
Thanks for your well wishes though. And I'm equally sorry to here about the tragedy out in your province. I cried when I read about it, so so sad. To think what Money does to people's lives is just unreal, that poor family. And those collection agencys, they can and do drive people to despare with their relentless tatics. I realize that much of the time, it can be a persons own doing, but I personally know thats not always the case & they just don't care, and when something tragic happens they say "We never saw this coming, there were no signs" well thats just Bulls*@! BUt I won't get into all the details, but what a very sad tragedy, please know my thoughts are with anyone affected by that tragic loss.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey MrsMyers666, thanks, we'll be fine, we're pretty resilent folk up here;)Our flooding situation has improved a little in some areas, it's mainly just mudslide and avalanche risks at this point now. Although we've been told to brace for more rain which is funny cause it hasn't ever really stopped since all this started other then for a half hour here and there. But our grocery store shelves are starting to get bare as much of our produce that comes from down south can't cross the border cause of the floodinf that is hitting Seattle and other parts of Washinton State hard & Portland Or. We've been told that with all that's going on around the I-5 stretch of Freeway, the trucks just aren't making it up here right now. I really feel for the poor people down there going through the same hell. So, we just stock up on non-perishables and make do, what else can you do.
But we do continue to have fatalities throughout the province on the mountains, 2 more BC locations have reported them tonight.

I still prefer this weather over summer any day! Summer is what I'm dreading with a passion.:eek:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hey Duchess!
Funny you mention the military; there was an article in the paper today marking the 10th anniversary of Mayor Mel Lastman calling in the Canadian Forces to clear the snow out of Toronto...
We did have a large melting a few weeks ago (not as warm as you, thought!), but things are back to whatever is considered normal and the snow just keeps on piling up.

I've gotta ask...why are you dreading summer??

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Barbarella, They're still investigating the exact cause of what's wrong. All they know so far is that I am severely allergic to the sun or ultraviolet light (Photosensitivity) but I'm being worked up for a bunch of rare disorders, I go tomorrow to find out the results to see if I have Porphyria Disease or not, plus to have more tests done. But since I can't handle heat either and my body doesn't self regulate going from temperture changes they have to investigate that as well, they're also still looking at other metabolic disorders ever since I had a Pheochromocytoma scare, tunred out to be what tehy're hoping was a Pseudo-Pheochromocytoma induced by a medication I was on for 17 years, but because I still get symptoms I'm retested for it regularly.
But for now they tell me, all they know for sure is that I'm an Enigma, Medical Anomoly, the lost Area 51 child and a complex case, and no those names have not done my self-esteem wonders I tell ya,lol. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Holy jeez girl, I hope that's not what it turns out to be. What an awful thing to go through, and I can't imagine how it would feel knowing the doctors are perplexed, too. So what do you do in the sunny weather, just stay in or stay covered, or do the super-high SPF suncreens offer any help?
Good luck tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I stay in until the sun is down, but when we have our heat waves we've been getting there are times when I'm housebound for days, this summer there were several times I couldn't leave the house for 5-9 days. But usually I can venture out around 10 or 11 pm and make my run to the store if I need something, or on days where the heat isn't intense then I just wait until the sun is gone. No suncreens of anykind only make my skin burn worse. But you see, I'm even having the problem year around particularly in my house so thats why they are looking at other causes as well, although we have just found out that those new energy saving lightbulbs can cause people who have UV Allergy to continue to have problems, so another reason I'm seeing the Derm tomorrow, to see if I have to replace all those expensive bulbs we've got in here.
trust me, it's no picnic, the worst thing to have is skin that is constantly burning, stinging, breaking out in rashes and hives 24/7 for well over 2 years, you go kinda mental, as you can't exsactly get out of your skin.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Hang in there Dutchess - I hope the results of your tests help give your doctors a better idea of what's going on with you, and that the weather settles into something comfy for you, but dry enough to allow your city to get back on top of things.

I'd send you some of our weather, but you'd hate it. Had mid 80's temperatures today, with hot, dry winds blowing.
(isn't this supposed to be winter?? Feels like the middle of summer here!!)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Ugly Joe. But ya please don't send me any summer weather. Even before all these issues, I have never been a fan of hot summers. But we never use to have really hot hot summers like we have now, the summers here have really changed over the past 5 years, with the past 2 being the worst.
But I've always been a fan of cool or cold weather, more so now then ever.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
although we have just found out that those new energy saving lightbulbs can cause people who have UV Allergy to continue to have problems, so another reason I'm seeing the Derm tomorrow, to see if I have to replace all those expensive bulbs we've got in here.
trust me, it's no picnic, the worst thing to have is skin that is constantly burning, stinging, breaking out in rashes and hives 24/7 for well over 2 years, you go kinda mental, as you can't exsactly get out of your skin.
i was reading the prior post and was just going to reply that if you had the energy saving bulbs to get ride of them , my husband keeps wanting to change all our lights in sockets here for those and i dont want to , first thing will hear in a few years is that these cause cancer or something so it might be dum thinking but i am sticking to the old one as long as i'll be able too ;) .

so did i read correctly is your skin problem (sensitivity ) is caused from a medication you took for sevral years and that is the side effect now ? i feel for you my friend that sucks :( and i understand it must be so ever frustrating not being able to enjoy what to other is NORMAL activity like gardening , beach days etc :(
i hope the dr's come true with an answer and some solution for you very soon , i know the feeling of not knowing medical wise , been on meds for 5 years still have the health issues , they havent found the cause as the test are normals (the tests they bothered doing) , their out of ideas when it come to meds as their still not solving the problem 100% so they just doubled the dose up :rolleyes:

good luck with everything , keep us posted xox

1 - 20 of 20 Posts