Halloween Forum banner

6941 - 6956 of 6956 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dane82 I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my oldest friend from HS to a heart attack in June. It's really shocking when it happens to someone you know that is your age. I hope you are doing ok.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,235 Posts
Dane82 I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my oldest friend from HS to a heart attack in June. It's really shocking when it happens to someone you know that is your age. I hope you are doing ok.
thank you so much. tomorrow will be 6 weeks since he passed, and the shock has worn off but it's still hard to believe sometimes. i'll think to myself, "i need to get [some document or something] sent to temple's office" and then i get that sinking feeling that he's gone. condolences to you for your loss as well. :)

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,235 Posts
Dane83, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope things get better for you. *safe hugs*
thanks so much. it's so odd to me how we process loss--how quickly i've "moved on" in some sense, but on the other hand, i still get that sinking feeling when i think about him (or any other friend/family member/colleague that i've lost) and it takes a moment before i realize they're gone.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
Saw this on Buzzfeed & thought I'd post it here:

Some of my faves:

And not that this applies to most here, I just like it.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
Same here! I've been telling people for years that it's one of the few, if not only, optional holiday.

There's no family visiting, no big dinners or special food to be made, no gifts required, if you don't wanna give out candy you don't have to just turn out the lights or go out, same for decorations, you don't have to do any decorating or if you do you can get away with just sticking out a pumpkin.

And if that's all you wanna do that thing will still be good for Thanksgiving so it will do double duty!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
On a completely different note, COMCAST MOVED TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES UP A TIER TO A FREAKING SPORTS PACKAGE!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I just turned to TCM to watch their Halloween programming that's on Thursdays this month & it wasn't there!!!

[BEGIN TLNR RANT]
Found the Xfinity forums with everyone RAGING about the "upgrade." What pisses us TCM fans off the most is that IT'S WITH A SPORTS PACKAGE!!! I don't do sports. I couldn't even tell you what the current sports channels are because I DON'T WATCH THEM. So now they want me to pay $9.95 extra a month for ONE channel I'll watch & it's not even a Premium channel like HBO or Showtime.

I wouldn't mind paying the extra $9.95 a month for it if it were with other movie channels I don't already have. We don't have any premium channels & just recently upgraded a tier because we lost Cartoon Network which is my husband's fave.

This was an "official answer" from a Comcast employee & I call B.S. on it, especially the bolded & italics part:
Every month, Comcast pays programmers like networks, local TV station owners and others, for the ability to bring their programming to you. We regularly review our programming and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of programming at the best value. We look at a variety of factors, including customer viewership and programming costs when making these decisions. Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it.
I called customer service & complained too & before I even go to a real person I got a recording stating "TCM has been moved...if you want to upgrade...blahblahblah". I got a real person & said "You're getting a lot of complaints about TCM being moved aren't you?"

He said they will pass it on to management & that the calls are recorded. I told him if it hasn't changed back in a week I'm off to Verizon.

I also told him, I'm not angry at you but at Comcast. He's just the guy on the phone in the call room.

TCM is my go-to, my refuge, the channel where there's always something watchable for me, it's safe to leave on with kids in the room, it's a refuge from the daily crap news cycle.

I can turn it on & have martinis with Nick & Nora or put on a show with Judy & Mickey, in worlds that are safe & the endings are happy (unless you're in Noir Alley or Underground). Oh yes, there's LOTS of issues with old movies but they're a great time capsule & record of how things were back then. And many are just as timely today as they were then.

OK, I gotta stop or I'll end up even angrier, or worse, just sad. Sad because I now have no channel to leave on to fall asleep to.
[END TLNR RANT]

EDITED TO ADD:
I just emailed our local NBC & CBS consumer reporters about this. Maybe they will ignore it but I hope they won't.

·
Registered
390 Posts
On a completely different note, COMCAST MOVED TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES UP A TIER TO A FREAKING SPORTS PACKAGE!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I just turned to TCM to watch their Halloween programming that's on Thursdays this month & it wasn't there!!!

[BEGIN TLNR RANT]
Found the Xfinity forums with everyone RAGING about the "upgrade." What pisses us TCM fans off the most is that IT'S WITH A SPORTS PACKAGE!!! I don't do sports. I couldn't even tell you what the current sports channels are because I DON'T WATCH THEM. So now they want me to pay $9.95 extra a month for ONE channel I'll watch & it's not even a Premium channel like HBO or Showtime.

I wouldn't mind paying the extra $9.95 a month for it if it were with other movie channels I don't already have. We don't have any premium channels & just recently upgraded a tier because we lost Cartoon Network which is my husband's fave.

This was an "official answer" from a Comcast employee & I call B.S. on it, especially the bolded & italics part:

I called customer service & complained too & before I even go to a real person I got a recording stating "TCM has been moved...if you want to upgrade...blahblahblah". I got a real person & said "You're getting a lot of complaints about TCM being moved aren't you?"

He said they will pass it on to management & that the calls are recorded. I told him if it hasn't changed back in a week I'm off to Verizon.

I also told him, I'm not angry at you but at Comcast. He's just the guy on the phone in the call room.

TCM is my go-to, my refuge, the channel where there's always something watchable for me, it's safe to leave on with kids in the room, it's a refuge from the daily crap news cycle.

I can turn it on & have martinis with Nick & Nora or put on a show with Judy & Mickey, in worlds that are safe & the endings are happy (unless you're in Noir Alley or Underground). Oh yes, there's LOTS of issues with old movies but they're a great time capsule & record of how things were back then. And many are just as timely today as they were then.

OK, I gotta stop or I'll end up even angrier, or worse, just sad. Sad because I now have no channel to leave on to fall asleep to.
[END TLNR RANT]

EDITED TO ADD:
I just emailed our local NBC & CBS consumer reporters about this. Maybe they will ignore it but I hope they won't.
Oh that is so frustrating! We have DirecTV and it seems at least once a year we lose one of the major networks for a week or two while they negotiate (how to charge customers more). It's such a racket. It would be nice if these huge companies actually listened to their customers. I hope you get your movies back somehow!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
I'm giving them a week & in the meantime we're looking into Verizon Fios.

For a VERY long time Comcast was the only game in town so if you wanted cable they were the only choice. We also didn't get cable service in our town until the 90s so the second I could get it I got it so I've been with Comcast since then.

We just got Fios here a couple of years ago & while I really don't want to learn a new channel lineup, I'll do it to save $120 yearly.

Anyone know how to get stuff off a DVR? I've got a season of The Planet of the Apes TV show from the 70s that I don't wanna lose!!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
TCM fans are ENRAGED!!!

Over at the Xfinity forums they keep locking any thread started about losing TCM. There was a 6 page thread about it & then when they locked that people, myself included, just started a crap ton more. Which they immediately are locking.

Which is SUCH a good look for the company. They'd be better off leaving the one big thread to let people vent, merging the others into the big one, & then locking all but the one big thread. Instead they're just locking every single one.

Fans have been bombarding them on every bit of social media for Xfinity and TCM. There's even emails flying to some muckety mucks at Comcast. I've sent several myself.

I even got a call back & email from the local NBC reporter!!! I gotta respond but I will. Oh I will!!

FTR, you can't even say "crap" over on the Xfinity forums.

6941 - 6956 of 6956 Posts