Halloween Forum banner

6921 - 6940 of 6948 Posts

·
E Pluribus Bitum
879 Posts
139 days til Halloween.

My daughter and I are watching our favorite YouTube channels' Halloween vids. Talking about what her costume will be.

The thing I love most about summer is that it brings us that much closer to autumn. :D

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
I don't know how many of you have heard of Ellicott City, MD but more of you may have heard of it now because of the disastrous & historic "once every 100 years" flooding that occurred in 2016 AND 2018. Well the the Ellicott City Historical Society does a designer show house every year & this year my in-laws house is the house.

Spent the weekend packing & moving my in-laws outta their house. We've still got some work to do but we put the young, strong teenagers in the family to work this weekend moving the heavy stuff. I'm gonna miss the place because the house & setting is beautiful & there's a lot of good memories even for me as a latecomer to it (but I still have been around it for 20+ years), but they're just getting too old for such a large house. For a family with 3 kids it was great, but now they're closer to 80 & it's too much.

https://historicec.com/2018/06/25/wilderness-farm-the-2018-show-house/

So all proceeds from ticket sales to vist the house this fall go to the Ellicott City Historical Society for restoration of the city & properties. It really was/is a charming little place that was unique because of the river that literally ran through the town & under properties. If you're a local, please come & visit once it's open.

The event page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/649435808740306/

Here's the Historical Ellicott City Facebook page where you can see all the devastation that happened & now see restoration that's happening.
https://www.facebook.com/historicECinc/

Here's the house in 1905, Wilderness Farms

·
Head Witch
2,867 Posts
Today is the 11th anniversary of the day my ex almost killed me. He had made several attempts before, small things. Ibuprophrin (I have a sever allergy to it), starvation. But this one really marked me.
I guess I should start from the beginning. I was 21 when I married him, I was pregnant with my oldest son. At the beginning it was verbal abuse. It wasn’t long before he started Tom catting around. (Found out after the Devoice that it didn’t matter if it was Male or Female.) I moved with him to California to try and save my marriage. We moved in with his parents, I was pregnant with baby #2. Moving to California I was beaten, verbally abused, enslaved. By the whole family. My shoes were taken, I was not permitted to have access to the outside world. I wasn’t allowed outside and was given very little food. If I went outside the Neighbors that were there friends would tell on me, and I would get a beating when they got home. The few times I was allowed to call my family, was supervised. The house was to be spotless, and when they got home I had better be upstairs and keep the baby quiet. My family sent care packages that I never received. They kept and ate what was sent.
On the 10th in one of the fight was over a water spot on the sink. I had managed to steal a phone. I called my parents to say good bye because I thought that today was the day, it almost was. He had beaten me and tried to throw me over the banister of a 2-story building. Where I would have landed was another railing, my parents were still on the phone. They had called Brentwood police. They showed up. They didn’t take me to a shelter like I had begged them to, threatened to take me to jail because he had rubbed his face to look like I hit him. Next day one of the officers checked up on me, while everyone was at work I told him that I couldn’t let him in, or I would get it latter. (which I did anyway because a neighbor told.) He slipped his phone to me to call my dad to come get me. Who was still in Texas. 16th of July I managed to run away Dad picked Gabe and my self up off of the highway. He bought me bandages and shoes for my feet. The 16th of April is my Freedom Day, my devoice was finalized. The court system wouldn’t approve a devoice while I was pregnant, because you know hormones and I may change my mind. Aiden was born in October 12th just under 5 pounds, he had Jaundice, he had trouble breathing. Doctor said it was due to what I went through while I carried him. I was finally able to take him home on Halloween. My children are my strength without them, I would be dead.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts

·
Head Witch
2,867 Posts
Glad you're still around monwitchkitty & hope he's in jail or worse.
Unfortionalty for my sleep and mental state he is not. He has since fathered 3 other children. His father out of the trio that tortured me has since fallen off of a billboard and suffered a horrible death. My ex and his mother are still breathing, and un incarcerated. I know he suffers, due to the drugs he has done his teeth are all rotten only thing left are black pus nubs. I feel like a horrible person for saying this but I hope it hurts.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
Oh this happened July 27th seeing Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers in Falls Church, VA though none of the people touching him (Roger Clyne) are me. I'm too short to reach that high anyway even if I'd been there on the floor in that spot.

That show was actually topped last Thursday at Rams Head Annapolis where the bass player came out into the audience & sang "Cocaine." I can't even explain how awesome that show was. As an RCPM song would say "I aint' got the words for this."

RCPMs opener was Gabriel Kelley & he was just amazeballs. A big, bearded guy, just him, a harmonica & his guitar & so very moving. You could hear a pin drop when he was onstage which is unusual for any opener or main act.

I am humbled by the talent this man has. Big man, big voice, him, a mic, a harmonica & a guitar. "Big medicine" as Roger called him & it's so very true. Very powerful performance. He tried the Nashville songwriter route that didn't appeal so he moved to Guatemala & started a music school for kids & is HUGE in Sweden.

He only opened 2 shows for RCPM this tour but he came out with them & did "Midnight Rider" with them. He was touring with Greg Allman when Allman went up & died on him so RCPM gave him some gigs.

I love the guy so much I bought 2 copies of his latest EP. Big, good medicine.

·
Registered
678 Posts
RCIAG. I’m in Arlington (woot) so we are nearly neighbors. If you ever want something fun to do in December you should join us for DC Krampusnacht.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
I swear that last nite I wrote a post about Aretha Franklin & her hearse but dang if I can find it now. Maybe I didn't hit post or I put it in the wrong section. If that's the case, please feel free to move it or delete it mods.

Anyhoo, I miss Aretha. She was a part of the music I heard growing up & right on into the MTV era, such a talent will be sorely missed. So in my readings about the funeral I found this story.

Her last ride on the Freeway of Love won't be in a pink Cadillac (though there will be 130 of them in the actual funeral procession on Saturday) but in this lovely machine that barely looks like a hearse from the right angle:

Story about the hearse:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/08/30/arethas-last-ride-the-vintage-hearse-that-carried-rosa-parks-will-now-bear-the-queen-of-soul/?utm_term=.3f5ea679f8d7

And I can't EVEN with her casket & 2 wardrobe changes for her viewings!! On her first viewing she was all decked out in red, the second one in blue. Fully open, shiny gold casket too. You can google for her casket pics if you'd like. I thought I wouldn't post them but there's no close ups of her, it's from far away from the head end & you can see those awesome shoes.

I appreciate this funeral on many levels. It's sooo extra & diva, just like her, The Queen of Soul. I give her or her family major props for doing it up right. All that's missing is the New Orleans style parade through the streets.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
Just got back from the endocrinologist & got the news that my A1C is 5.7, I'm cutting the insulin down from 11 units to 6 & if after 3 weeks my levels are still within range I can stop the insulin!! But I may need to up my blood pressure meds which are also a guard against kidney damage but I can work & live with that.

Now to celebrate with a ginormous bowl of pasta, a loaf of bread & ALL THE HALLOWEEN CANDY!!

;) ;) ;) :D :D JK, not really. All that would make me barf right now!! :D

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
Just saw Bohemian Rhapsody & cried way more than I should've. I was a mess there at the end & even though they got some weird things probably intentionally wrong I still loved it.

I sang along, I did the Radio Gaga clapping & motions, the We Will Rock You stomping & clapping, it was a good thing I was all the way in the back row with only 4 other people in the theatre.

The things they changed aren't necessarily things most people would know or care about but I knew. & honestly, it didn't really bother me or stop me from loving the movie anyway.

[BEGIN QUEEN NERD RANT]
Freddie was a friend of the first lead singer of Brian & Roger's band, Smile. He knew them & introduced Brian & Roger to Freddie. It wasn't like the dude left & Freddie was all "hey, I have songs & sing."

They made it seem like Freddie broke up the band because he wanted to do a solo album yet Roger Taylor did a solo album first then Brian did one. I know this because I have all of them & I was ob-freaking-sessed with Roger's album. I never thought they broke up though I'm sure they all quit at some point.

They made it seem like Brian wrote We Will Rock you around 1980 but that was on News of the World from 1977. When Brian wrote it Freddie had longer hair but in the movie Freddie had his "clone" look going on & he didn't do that until around 1980 with The Game.

And Freddie had brown eyes yet they didn't make Rami Malek wear contacts to cover his blue eyes.
[/END QUEEN NERD RANT]

I wish they'd had more of Freddie & Jim & their life but overall it was like he was alive again. The guy that played Brian May was practically an exact clone.

AND THE CATS!! OMG THEY WERE SO CUTE!! He loved cats & left them a bunch of money & even wrote a song on Mr. Bad Guy for one of them. Delilah...& now I gotta stop or I'll end up blubbering again.

Just...go see it, especially if you love any Queen song. Just remember this story is filtered through the remaining members memories & eyes.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
You know, for the first time in many years, I'm ready to put away Christmas BEFORE New Year's Day. Generally we leave all the Christmas stuff up until after Jan. 1 but this year I am sooo ready to have it all gone.

I really need to pare down my stuff as I put it away, donate it or give it someone that will love it & use it, & put up less next year.

Same for Halloween, I need to get down in the basement room & just PURGE!!! Heck, I need to do that with the ENTIRE HOUSE!!:D

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,214 Posts
i lost a really good friend and colleague yesterday to a very unexpected massive heart attack. he was quite a bit older than me, but still too young to go. (not that it can't come for us at any age of course, but he was young enough that it was still a shock.) it's both very natural and yet very unsettling how much more common death is getting the older i get.

6921 - 6940 of 6948 Posts
About this Discussion
6.9K Replies
182 Participants
fowldarr
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing