Halloween Forum banner

6901 - 6920 of 6948 Posts

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
Well folks, I have some big news, and not the good kind. I had a cerebellar stroke on Aug. 11th. I am currently on the rehab unit at the hospital where I work!!!! They plan on letting me go home on Sept. 5th. When I can go back to working fulltime?????? My speech is back tonormal. My balance and coordination suck right now. I am a little weaker on my left side and have to use a walker to ambulate. My mind and memory are both fine.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,214 Posts
Well folks, I have some big news, and not the good kind. I had a cerebellar stroke on Aug. 11th. I am currently on the rehab unit at the hospital where I work!!!! They plan on letting me go home on Sept. 5th. When I can go back to working fulltime?????? My speech is back tonormal. My balance and coordination suck right now. I am a little weaker on my left side and have to use a walker to ambulate. My mind and memory are both fine.
sorry to hear that tom, get well soon!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
Good luck Tom! Don't go back to work too early, you could injure yourself in some other way, especially if your balance is off. I know you're probably going crazy but better to be 100% than to hurt yourself.

And hey, you're back here reading & posting so that's a good thing.

Here's something to do, read ALL of the threads in General. There's 25,132 of them. That should keep your brain busy for a while.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've been rather upset all week. I love someone and he has a mood disorder.... he's all over the place and I'm close to throwing in the towel soon. I never know what's up and I'm exhausted by his black and white thinking. Now I'm planning on focusing on myself. I'm tired of these mind games. Many of his friends think he's borderline.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Dang, Tom, sorry to hear about the stroke. But it sounds like you're on the road to recovery. Hang in there...

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,271 Posts
OK, I need to vent and I guess this is the place to do it. It seems like I take two steps forward and ten steps back. Until the last few years I've always been able to function under pressure--I think I actually thrived it. For the last few years and especially this year, I seem to get caught in the trap of having so much to do that I get overwhelmed and never find time to enjoy life because I'm always worrying about what needs done but never find time to do anything but sleep. I've also lost several family members and friends in the last two years and have two very dear friends who are dying. My husband and I are self-employed but he literally just got back on his feet and I've been taking on extra work to keep the bills paid. Our main season ends on Halloween so my workload should lighten up a bit, I should get caught up on my sleep and I should have more time to devote to our daughter. I realize I'm getting too old to function like this and am not setting a good example for my daughter. So, I guess my main goal is to get my life more organized and less stressful, but how is the question. :confused:

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
I wish I had an answer for ya lizzy & sorry for your losses, those don't help anyone no matter what their life situation. Like you said, once your season ends you should be able to work on getting it all together.

I know that getting things organized isn't easy. I've been working on that myself & it's a daily struggle. My way of doing it is to take one room at a time, even if it means that spare room gets crapped up while you straighten out the rest. I also have to try veryveryvery hard to put the thing where it should be & not just leave it on the DR table or in the kitchen or wherever.

It's the only thing that works for me because otherwise I'll end up doing 4 rooms halfway & then NOTHING is fully straight & organized.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,271 Posts
Thank you RCIAG. :) I have a tendency to lay things down without realizing it. Hairbrushes, scissors and tape are the worst. I really need to stick to one room at a time as I have a habit of working on a room, finding something that goes somewhere else and then I'm off to another. :rolleyes:

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
Thank you RCIAG. :) I have a tendency to lay things down without realizing it. Hairbrushes, scissors and tape are the worst. I really need to stick to one room at a time as I have a habit of working on a room, finding something that goes somewhere else and then I'm off to another. :rolleyes:
I have a favourite pair of scissors that were my great-grandmother's. I used to help her put together her afghans she'd crocheted & she always used these scissors. They're not super sharp but they're old & fit my hand perfectly. I use them for almost everything that doesn't require something super sharp like cutting heavy cardboard. I keep them right next to my spot on the sofa with another pair in a pot full of pens, pencils, etc.

Well last year in a Reaper frenzy I lost them. I was beside myself!! I thought for sure I'd sent them in my Reaper package but after checking with my Reapee I found I hadn't. Turns out they were under a pile of junk on my nightstand (which wasn't a proper nightstand but some weird little side table we'd acquired) in the MBR!!

So now if I'm using them I stop when I'm done & return them to that little pot no matter if I have to leave the room to do it. The same thing happened with my little screwdriver that's the exact right size to take out those stupid little screws that are on every battery pack made now. I stop & put them back with the scissors or else they're lost for daaaays & it makes me crazy.

I also got a REAL nightstand with 2 drawers so I can actually store garbage outta sight now!!:D

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
Just read this in the WaPo & thought of our cleaning & organization issues:
Americans are pack rats. Swedes have the solution: ‘Death cleaning.’

:D The name of "Death Cleaning" is appropriate! :D

I guess this is what I need to keep in the back of my mind, especially since we don't have any kids on which to dump our crap!:D

My inlaws are doing this since they aren't spring chickens any more & are selling their ginormous house in the country. They had 2 barns full of stuff plus the ginormous house full of stuff.

At least once a week now we get "Do you guys want this?" & mostly we're "nope" with the occasional yes or "no but we'll take it to Goodwill for ya if you want."

My FIL is a lawyer who has dealt with way too many estates where the kids are either "nah, sell it all" which is kinda sad to him, or worse they fight over every single stick of furniture & piece of silverware.

I ended up with some extra Christmas & Halloween stuff from one of his estates. The couple didn't have kids & they people they did leave things to didn't want the stuff so my FIL gave it to me because he knew I'd use it & take good care of it. He had to sell what could be sold, donated some other stuff, gave me the holiday stuff but he couldn't toss any of their pics. He sent them to the heirs & said "I'm not going to throw this away. If you 'd like to toss them go right ahead, but I just can't do it myself."

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
EFF YOU YOU EFFING EFFS AT COMCAST & FOX!!!

First Comcast moves Cartoon Network up a tier in service so you gotta "upgrade" to get it, then today I hear that Fox canceled "Brooklyn Nine Nine"!!!!

GAAAHHHH!!!:mad::p:mad:

We are now looking into other services that aren't Comcast because shine that nonsense. Comcast already gets too much of my money, I'm not giving them any more.

As for B99, I am hoping it will get picked up by another platform, Netflix, Hulu, another channel. I don't know what I'm going to do without Andre Braugher on my TV every week!?!?!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,581 Posts
I haven't had cable in over 20 years. We have a digital antenna and it picks up something like 45+ channels. Don't miss anything. It all is available through streaming services or eventually through the library or the like. Of course, if you're into sports, then you may not be able to watch your games live so that could be a problem, but we're uninterested in sports at my house, so that's never been an issue.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
We have zero interest in sports too. If I could ditch all the sports channels for other stuff I would but I know those sports channels are what's keeping TCM on my TV.

Well Sling is out because you can only watch on one device at a time & that won't work in our house even with just the 2 of us.

6901 - 6920 of 6948 Posts
About this Discussion
6.9K Replies
182 Participants
fowldarr
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing