Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 366 Posts

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A request was posted for a tutorial for the Harry Potter mandrake plant the other day, and I always wanted to make one. So I got in the mood to try my hand at one. Then I floated this idea to a few other members, and the member who asked for the tutorial, and we thought it would be fun to kind of 'get together' and all make our own version of the Mandrake simultaneously.

This is not a organized tutorial by any means. I thought we could share ideas and then could create our own mandrakes and come back and share progress and our finished plant. I have seen many different ways people have made very cool mandrakes. So if you are interested, pick the medium that you feel most comfortable with. No hard and fast rules here. Hopefully we have some laughs and wind up with a cool craft item at the end.

Alright, so I guess we can repeat some of the initial ideas started in the tutorial request.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/request-for-tuturials-go-here/146336-mandrake-tutorial.html#post1829073

Pumpkinpie stepped up first and was kind enough to share her uber cool baby doll and hot glue version! I love that one!! Have had it pinned for a long time. I'll get her to come back and repost her how to.

mandrake pp.jpg

For the first taste of inspiration, here's the clip from the movie!

To review, this is a very loose activity. Just jump in and show us your mandrake if you have made one previously. We would love any and all inspiration! Or join in and make one and share your progress. There is no deadline. Just have some fun!

Ready. Set. Go!!!!!

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I asked one of my haunter friends if I could share a few photos of her mandrake she made using wire and paper mache.
Photos courtesy of Sandie Schneider Oddities.

Look how great this guy is too!
If you are handy with paper mache, this is another idea on how to make one.

mandrake 1d.jpg mandrake 1c.jpg mandrake 1b.jpg
mandrake 1e.jpg

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just thought of what I wanted to try first :) I'll share it it turns out decently, and if it doesn't, I'll go with plan B.
Oh you tease!!!! haha
I'm thinking doll head and paper mache body. Hmmmmm Now where did I put that box of doll body parts. LOL

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Here's mine again along with the how to 785ba2270708508fe468c83fa1464cc9.jpg

Okay per Hildas' request here's a quick tutorial :)

To start with you'll need a few items
Glue Gun
Glue Sticks (large bag of minis)
Paper Towel Tubes (3-4)
Masking Tape
Flower Pot
Artificial Plant (I grabbed mine at DT)
Small Baby Doll
Cardboard
Tan Paint
Dark Brown Paint
Bowl of Water

PREPARING THE FLOWER POT, using the cardboard u will want to cut the cardboard so that it will sit into the flower pot snugly (at least 1-2 inches down (this will mimic your soil line). Once you have that done you will want to cut a smaller hole in the center of the cardboard, this hole should be large enough to push your baby through yet small enough to keep her in place and upright. (My doll was purchased from Walmart for $5 and she had a fabric mid section which worked great for this application. Nows time to get your Mandrake potted...simply insert the cardboard/baby into the flower pot and hot glue in place.

PREPARING YOUR BABY DOLL, now that she's stable it's time to start removing some of her human features. Start by taking the paper towel tubes and sliding them over her arms (u may want to remove her hands), at the same time twist and shape the tube to mimic vegetative growth. When u have everything the way u like it use tape and hot glue to hold in place both to the dolls arms as well as your cardboard round. This same technique will b used for the shoots on her head, just twist, tape and glue in place (take note not to twist too tightly as this will allow u a small area to hide your plant stems). Now last but not least, start wadding up some paper to build up the neck...think sweet potato....just add and tape. I know this looks nothing like a mandrake at this point but if your doing it right it also looks nothing like a baby ;)

FINALLY!!! MAKING YOUR MANDRAKE!!!! Nows when the glue gun and the bowl of water come into play. What your mission is is to cover every square inch of this baby in hot glue. DON'T RUSH, you are gonna want to tackle it just a bit at a time....after applying the glue I let it cool for a second then i used a wet finger to smooth out manipulate the glue. You will apply this technique all over, over the vinyl, over the cardboard and even over that cloth tummy. I took extra care to use the glue to change the shape of the nose checks and eyes too. When your all done, it's time to paint. I used a base coat of a tan color (any will do but I think I used territorial beige) then after that I simply used the darkest brown craft paint I could find, water it down a bit...and do the whole wipe on wipe off routine.

Time to hot glue your plant stems in place and add soil or moss to your base and your done :)

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
Oh Pumpkinpie that is adorable! I can't decide if I want to make one barely seen, half planted or out of pot!
I just found the source for that label too. Pinned it to the Mandrake Pinterest Board.
Why not make both? Mrs. Sprout had a whole group of them. LOL

1 - 20 of 366 Posts