Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting to the point where I put as much planning and forethought into my Halloween video as I do into my Haunt. I've spent a good part of the the last 2 weeks editing the footage I shot Halloween night. I'm happy that I was able to get some footage of the trick-or-treaters this year. Their reactions to the Haunt are priceless. This was accomplished by hiding the camera inside the Haunt and turning it on when I saw some kids approaching. It worked pretty well for a first attempt and will do it again next year, though I'll light the area a little more so they can be seen better.

All in all it was a great Halloween. Enjoy the video. It's in two parts.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/raUVZvoyugk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/raUVZvoyugk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nsd_QgpPy70&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nsd_QgpPy70&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Roger

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
And the oscar for best performance in a haunt video goes to *drum roll*

Dark Gardener!

Along with the oscar for best video editing, transitions, etc :)

Don't take this the wrong way, but you were creepier than most of your props lol
love the kids who kept say, no you go first.

MsM

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
That was truly enjoyable to watch! Looked like a trailer to a movie. Excellent job on the editing and music.
A couple questions/observations; Was the haunt held in your garage? It appears the patrons were free to walk among the displays, and their enthusiasm was really evident. The reactions were great and the guests showed on the video were really impressed and appreciative. I enjoyed hearing their comments. Looked like many of the guests were in costume.
The spider victim from above was awesome!
Was the camera hidden?
The two gilrs towards the end were funny; one reassuring the other that it was okay but then neither wanting to exit the haunt.
Very classy presentation Roger. Your haunts are always inspiring. Thanks for posting the video.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the rave reviews everyone.

I really enjoy editing video as well as haunting my garage. Yes, the Haunt is set up in my tiny garage and along the driveway from the street. Visitors walk through but the areas the props are in are roped off so no one can touch them. The camera was set on a counter top and simply covered with a piece of black felt with only the lens exposed. I'm surprised that no one noticed the camera all evening. But it caught a lot of reactions and comments I otherwise never would have seen or heard.

I don't have any "big scares" in my haunt. I simply try to set a creepy, spooky atmosphere and allow people to scare themselves. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Some kids just walk straight through and hardly bother looking at anything (they're loss) while other linger for a long time.

Everything is pretty much on auto-pilot because I'm on my own all evening. I build and set up everything by myself and have no help even on the BIG NIGHT. I wait at the end of the walk-thru to hand out the candy. I sort of take it as a special compliment when someone says, "You guys do a great job." Guys? Guys? I'm the only one.

I too loved the two girls at the end who were too scared to finish the Haunt and turned around and left the way they came. I would have loved to have scared them some more.

I'm not nearly as creepy in real life and under normal lighting as I am in the video. Sort of surprised myself at how well all that turned out. The whole spoken prolog was not part of the Haunt on Halloween night but was actually shot a week later in my living room.

Thanks again for watching.

Roger

·
Registered
598 Posts
Holy cow Dark Gardener...that was *awesome*! Such an enjoyable video, and I agree with everyone else; it's very professional looking! Your props are wondeful, too!

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
***applause, applause***

Definitely TWO THUMBS UP!!!

I just adore that sort of haunt, not so much in your face or gory, but a FABULOUS creepy atmosphere. Your lighting and props are awesome. Particularly liked that mad gardener dude, and the face outside the window, and the smoke belching dragon.

And what can I say about your video? Do you do some sort of film making for a living? Again, you so nailed the creepy atmosphere without going over the top.

Many kudos to you, Roger. Excellent work!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts