After seeing the corpsed skull thread i figured it would be a good idea to start a corpsed Bucky thread.
This thread is meant to show case the different styles of corpsing that some of us have used on our Buckys. Also it acts as an idea generator for those that have not yet corpsed a bucky and are not sure which way to go.
Please include what technique you went with, how long it took, what problems you ran into, what short cuts you may have found, and if you have any special sort of tips on how to achieve a certain look. Remember this will act as an inspirational guide to other members so be as specific as possible on certain areas that require special detail.
Here are mine
I used the Nylons and liquid latex method to achieve my look. I did not use carpet adhesive like some have in the past. It took me about 3 days to start and finish and then about another week to dry.
1. I hung my buckys in the garage because the fumes from the liquid latex and stain are very strong and you won't want them in your house (the liquid latex has a strong ammonia smell).
2. using 1 XL pair of tan colored panty hose (the ones that go up to your waste) and 3 knee high tan colored panty hose (one for each arm and one for the head).
3. I used both a knife and scissors to rip up my panty hose. I found that the knife worked well for making large gaping holes in the midsection of my bucky and up and down the arms and legs. The scissors worked well for making small holes and a sort of shredded look like muscle fibers. I just experimented and did this till i found what worked best for me. You should do the same. Not being perfect only adds to the halloween look.
4. I then used a brush that i picked up for cheap at the local hardware stores (don't buy a fancy one because it is only going to get trached from the latex). You want to use a decent size brush to apply the latex. I went with a 2" brush but 3" may have worked better. I applied the latex starting at the top of the head and working my way down. I only applied one single coat (Not to thick and not to thin) of latex but if you want to add more you can. Be sure to where junk close and lay down either a tarp or garbage bags because this tends to get messy. Once i was done i placed a large fan in front of the buckys and let them dry over night. I also did this in the first week of october so the garage temp was around 50*.
5. Once completely dried i began applying stain. I don't remember what brand i used but i do know that i went with a cherry wood color. I applied my wood stain using a 2" sponge brush and a 1" regular brush. This helped me cover both large areas and tiny gabs and cracks. Again i started at the top letting the stain run down the body. Wood Stain is oil based and this eats away at the latex so either make sure you load up on the latex (multiple coats) or be very gentle while applying and wiping off (if you're gonna). I did not wipe off my stain because i like the look it gave my skeletons. Also be sure to where junky close and lay down not only a tarp but also either a junk towel or paper towels because the oil will eat through the plastic tarp after a while. I did not know this till i was finished and had a few spots on my garage floor. after this i let it dry agin over night with the fan blowing on them.
(you can see where i missed some spots)
6. After about 24 hours of drying i went back into the gargae to touch up my skeletons. I used black and red spray paint to add other little bits of detail. I sprayed black in the eyes, nose, joints, and inside the rib cage. Not too heavy but just enough to break up the colors of the stain. My trick for spray paint on the joints was short bursts at about a foot away. Everything else i tried to get as close as possible to. I then used red to accent the black that i sprayed on the ribs and joints. Again i used short bursts of spray paint about a foot away.
7. i let my buckys hang for a week before displaying them and they where all still pretty tacky from the stain. So i am not sure if the weather just needed to be warmer for the stain to fully dry but either way i still put them on display. Even after halloween there were still a few spots that were tacky and not fully dried after hanging outside for almost 3 weeks. I am hoping that next halloween they are completely dry.