Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the corpsed skull thread i figured it would be a good idea to start a corpsed Bucky thread.

This thread is meant to show case the different styles of corpsing that some of us have used on our Buckys. Also it acts as an idea generator for those that have not yet corpsed a bucky and are not sure which way to go.

Please include what technique you went with, how long it took, what problems you ran into, what short cuts you may have found, and if you have any special sort of tips on how to achieve a certain look. Remember this will act as an inspirational guide to other members so be as specific as possible on certain areas that require special detail.

Here are mine

I used the Nylons and liquid latex method to achieve my look. I did not use carpet adhesive like some have in the past. It took me about 3 days to start and finish and then about another week to dry.

1. I hung my buckys in the garage because the fumes from the liquid latex and stain are very strong and you won't want them in your house (the liquid latex has a strong ammonia smell).

2. using 1 XL pair of tan colored panty hose (the ones that go up to your waste) and 3 knee high tan colored panty hose (one for each arm and one for the head).

3. I used both a knife and scissors to rip up my panty hose. I found that the knife worked well for making large gaping holes in the midsection of my bucky and up and down the arms and legs. The scissors worked well for making small holes and a sort of shredded look like muscle fibers. I just experimented and did this till i found what worked best for me. You should do the same. Not being perfect only adds to the halloween look.

4. I then used a brush that i picked up for cheap at the local hardware stores (don't buy a fancy one because it is only going to get trached from the latex). You want to use a decent size brush to apply the latex. I went with a 2" brush but 3" may have worked better. I applied the latex starting at the top of the head and working my way down. I only applied one single coat (Not to thick and not to thin) of latex but if you want to add more you can. Be sure to where junk close and lay down either a tarp or garbage bags because this tends to get messy. Once i was done i placed a large fan in front of the buckys and let them dry over night. I also did this in the first week of october so the garage temp was around 50*.

(Freshly Coated)

(nearly dried)

5. Once completely dried i began applying stain. I don't remember what brand i used but i do know that i went with a cherry wood color. I applied my wood stain using a 2" sponge brush and a 1" regular brush. This helped me cover both large areas and tiny gabs and cracks. Again i started at the top letting the stain run down the body. Wood Stain is oil based and this eats away at the latex so either make sure you load up on the latex (multiple coats) or be very gentle while applying and wiping off (if you're gonna). I did not wipe off my stain because i like the look it gave my skeletons. Also be sure to where junky close and lay down not only a tarp but also either a junk towel or paper towels because the oil will eat through the plastic tarp after a while. I did not know this till i was finished and had a few spots on my garage floor. after this i let it dry agin over night with the fan blowing on them.

(you can see where i missed some spots)

6. After about 24 hours of drying i went back into the gargae to touch up my skeletons. I used black and red spray paint to add other little bits of detail. I sprayed black in the eyes, nose, joints, and inside the rib cage. Not too heavy but just enough to break up the colors of the stain. My trick for spray paint on the joints was short bursts at about a foot away. Everything else i tried to get as close as possible to. I then used red to accent the black that i sprayed on the ribs and joints. Again i used short bursts of spray paint about a foot away.

7. i let my buckys hang for a week before displaying them and they where all still pretty tacky from the stain. So i am not sure if the weather just needed to be warmer for the stain to fully dry but either way i still put them on display. Even after halloween there were still a few spots that were tacky and not fully dried after hanging outside for almost 3 weeks. I am hoping that next halloween they are completely dry.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
61 views and no reponses?

What am i the only person that is willing to share how i corpsed my bucky? Lets see your corpsed Buckys!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Those look real good! Unfortunately I do not have any Buckys. I am however in the process of macheing 4 skeletons. If they look half as good as the above, I will be sure to post them!

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
I followed the Skull and Bones tutorial for Fred.

Built a quick and dirty frame to do it outside. Had to work it in sections, and had him fall down right after doing the latex on the head.

Staining was accomplished by putting the stain in spray bottles, and misting it, rubbing it around, and washing off with the hose if needed.

Impalement was accomplished by a 2", 9' long pipe with a cusom design hook welded onto a threaded rod, for easy removal from the pipe to different projects. The pipe is held up by a 1" thick piece of rebar driven 3' down into the ground, leaving 4' above ground for support. Yes, it's overkill, but he'll survive the winds.

Test lighting for the concept setup:

Green flood lighting (my green flood had scratched some of the color layer off, making the white parts, but looked good)

Garish red floodlight.

Lighting on Halloween was provided by a PAR 56 stage spotlight (thanks to my brother) on a dimmer switch with a red-orange gel to make it APPEAR he was only lit by the firelight, when in fact that firelight wouldn't light past his waste.

(for reference Fred's Toes were at 5'5")

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks unorthodox!

·
The Minister of Macabre
953 Posts
Awesome Big Nick! I never thought of using pantyhose and liquid latex! Great Idea! I have always used Cheese Cloth and Minwax Gel-Stain to corpseify my Bucky's.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got any pics?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I haven't done a full skelly waiting for a sale (if anyone here's of one please tell) but I have done a skull and will be doing my talking skull soon and my three axis when built.I used the pantyhose, latex,stain method too.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for posting [email protected]! How did you get the teeth to look like that? Did you use fake teeth and slip them over the regular buckys teeth? I like it a lot more than the average skull teeth.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like the corpses Big Nick. With your panty hose and liquid latex method, how flexible are the corpses afterwards? I would be afraid that they would be quite brittle.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks for posting [email protected]! How did you get the teeth to look like that? Did you use fake teeth and slip them over the regular buckys teeth? I like it a lot more than the average skull teeth.
That one is just a blucky skull and stain on the teeth.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
graverobber,

They were not brittle at all. They were a tad stiff at first and hard to move around but after a little bit of moving around the arms and legs are pretty flexible. Now last year was my first year with them so i do not know how they will be this year after drying out all year. If they are fragile and brittle then it will only add to the look.

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK you got me Big Nick I'm going to corpse my Bucky's. I like your method. By the way did you get any flack posing them crucifiction style? I love it and if the neighbors don't, so be it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks really good, some of the most realistic stuff I have seen. I dont have any bluckeys to corpse, I made my groundbreakers with pvc, wood, cheap plastic skull, and rolled newspaper. Ill post my corpsing technique, Im at work right now.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK you got me Big Nick I'm going to corpse my Bucky's. I like your method. By the way did you get any flack posing them crucifiction style? I love it and if the neighbors don't, so be it.
Thanks for the comments and i am glad you are going this route like so many of us have. Its the easiest way i could find. As for the crucification and catching hell from the neighbors. Nobody said anything and i got a lot of compliments on how creepy and cool everything looked. Now that doesn't mean that they weren't thinking it but for the 3 weeks that they are up for "Halloween" they all seemed okay with the idea. I promised myself though that if i got any complaints that i would change them up. I would say that out of everything i did last year, my skeletons were the only thing that really wowed people. Hell even the pizza delivery guy asked me if he could take pictures. I am all about having fun so if it bothered somebody to see my skeletons on the crosses i would've changed it but like i said everyone was very understanding. My mom is very religious and so are my in-laws and nobody saw a problem with them. As long as i don't pull them out for Easter i think i will be okay. All i can say is do it at your own discretion.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks really good, some of the most realistic stuff I have seen. I dont have any bluckeys to corpse, I made my groundbreakers with pvc, wood, cheap plastic skull, and rolled newspaper. Ill post my corpsing technique, Im at work right now.
bucky or not post it up and tell us what you did. The purpose of the thread is to act as an idea generator and inspire people to try corpsing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi everyone.

The links below are quick vids of our corpse line. These were developed at the hobbyist level and became production pieces. See our corpsed full sksletons at these vid links:

BUDGET CORPSED - YouTube - CORPSE (Budget) version (Production WIP Video)

Pro studio corpse - YouTube - CORPSE -- Demo 5 narrated demo production corpses now availab

Pro Corpse (tradeshow reveal) - YouTube - CORPSE -- Demo 2 production models now available - Full Size

Pro Corpse - Dual view - YouTube - CORPSE -- Demo 1 production models now available - Full Size

Also there are other vids on corpses as well...

As for availability... At this point, MrSkeleton.com is a a B2B supplier only but that too will be changing during 2009. Stay tumed.

Jeff Nix Mr Skeleton - Your resource for the Boneyars's best props and accessories

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
Ok I have not corpsed a blucky or bucky and the ones on this post are amazing!!! But I did corpse a cheap Gemmy head. I had a Gemmy skeleton head that was really cheesy looking and I wanted to use it next year for my haunt.

it was my first time doing anything creative is he perfect no... But I love him just the same.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts