Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the book being closed on Halloween 2019 (AKA the night Mother Nature stole - yes still bitter) I wondered if there were any lessons any forum members gained some insight from. Is there something you learned that might help someone else?

I decided with the weather this year that next year I’m pushing back on making my treat bags so early. At least that way if the weather goes sideways I’m not stuck with tons of candy.

I also need to be prepared with Plan B. Although the weather was garbage, I probably could have done something in my garage had I planned a little better. I think next year I’ll be looking at how to do my display indoors just in case the weather is iffy.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hi , i think when you do yard setups for long enough you do get these odd ruined nights its just the law of averages , well at least here in England although i do live in a more reasonable area of England where we get better weather it still rains tons , i learnt from my mistakes the hard way and like you i had tons of sweets leftover which i was giving out to local kids we knew for weeks after , and the next year was very mindful of home made props that if they got wet would not be ruined , i would say 60-75% of my Halloween props and Haunt stuff can be out in the rain at least for a night without worry of getting ruined , INC my home made signs i always used oil based paint etc and even my polystyrene gravestones are water sealed even though they were painted with acrylic paints after the one night i had with the paint jobs running in the rain i water seal everything . In fact if you pop over to the U.K. 2019 thread and read few of the halloween night threads you will see we had a terrible wet few weeks over here dreadful in fact so i do sympathize .

·
Registered
356 Posts
Lessee, lessons learned:

Lighting is key (that’s one I sort of relearn every year, it seems).

Never give up. I was seriously ready to throw in the towel on the night, as the weather reports leading up sounded grim…and then bore out. After days of rain, winds blew my props down, breaking a few. I righted stuff and it happened again. Less than two hours out, I still hadn’t run cords out to the lighting and was ready to tap out on Halloween 2019. But the winds gradually died back to about 10mph from 20, the skies cleared, and a fresh crispness was in the air like “instant autumn”! Turned into a perfect evening for trick-or-treating just in the nick of time.

Weather CAN significantly change your plans, and I need to be better prepared for that since there’s about a 50/50 chance for rain here any given day in October.

My neighbors are AWESOME! The kid across the street brought my batboy prop from the curb all the way to the chair outside the front door when he fell from his tree perch. My other neighbor came over with one of the inflatable eyeballs that had blown away, bless her heart!

I learned that there’s nothing as great as that feeling when you imagine how a prop will look in your yard haunt and it comes to life even better than you’d imagined! Case in point: The hanging giant burnt ghoul guy. These pix don’t do it justice, but the night of, the wind was just right so that the “cape” seemed to just hover and flutter perfectly, and the “Star of Bethlehem Christmas light I shone up him looked incredible! Don’t ask why I didn’t try to get video. I’m an idiot. Just trust me, he looked great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
So with the book being closed on Halloween 2019 (AKA the night Mother Nature stole - yes still bitter) I wondered if there were any lessons any forum members gained some insight from. Is there something you learned that might help someone else?

I decided with the weather this year that next year I’m pushing back on making my treat bags so early. At least that way if the weather goes sideways I’m not stuck with tons of candy.

I also need to be prepared with Plan B. Although the weather was garbage, I probably could have done something in my garage had I planned a little better. I think next year I’ll be looking at how to do my display indoors just in case the weather is iffy.

Here are a few in another thread:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Oh, here's another lesson that I learned this year:
It worked pretty well decorating from the outer parts of the yard in towards the house front this year. So, several weeks out I got a jump on decorating by hanging various ghosts, witches, and creatures from street-facing trees. That way, even though I didn't get anything going around the front door until much later, passerby and traffic were made aware that this house takes Halloween pretty serious. 🦇

·
Registered
356 Posts
And I also learned that staking my tombstones at an ever-so-slight angle back looks better than standing straight up. 🦇

1 - 6 of 6 Posts