Halloween Forum banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Both Derrick and I are amazed at how cruel people can be just saying or doing what they think is funny. I am not sure if the couple was trying to be insulting, but we know a few Lesbians. They are the kind of people that we should all aspire to be. I'm sure in any group there are awful people, but at least from our limited experience, there are far worse things to be called than Lesbian. Derrick and I rarely get called Lesbians, so we appreciate knowing the proper response should it ever arise. We would also be happily married, but early on we found living in sin was so much fun, we never got around to visiting the courthouse. We might reconsider if we ever find a wedding cake that tastes good, or if we really need a new toaster and blender.

We like your sidewalk art. We like your response to bigotry. People who grow plants seem to get that nothing on this planet lives independent of everything else. We are better when we realize that, and work to make all our lives a bit easier by just being kind. Such a simple lesson that seems to be so foreign to so many. We're glad you are a gardener. We're glad you're happily married. We're glad that you can kick butt with the best of them. We're sorry you're not a Lesbian, but hey, no one is perfect. :)

LGBTQ
"B" = Bisexual
Let's just say I have no problem with sexuality. I've been to Goth clubs in Chicago, NYC, DC, London, Dublin & throughout Eastern Europe. You would never believe the strange & beautiful creatures that have crossed my path.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Acanthus are blooming!!! Beautiful to behold but never touch!! The thorns on this plant are not to be trifled with. This plant inspired the "Corinthian Column"

Corinthian columns first appeared around 550 BCE. A Roman writer named Vitruvius explained the ornamentation by creating a legend about a young woman who passed away. After her death, her nurse gathered her possessions into a basket and sealed it with a tile, and as time passed an acanthus plant crept up the sides of the container and covered it completely. The legend goes that the overgrown basket was spotted by a sculptor who was inspired to make Corinthian columns.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
Conducting an experiment: Crimson Clover growing with tomatoes in a raised bed.

Clover is a legume & fixes nitrogen in the soil. The flowers produce a lot nectar and are heavily visited by various types of bees. It can't tolerate extreme heat so I'm expecting it to die in August. Thereby returning more nitrogen to soil with out exhausting it.
Most farmers & gardeners plant it in fall but I want to determine how well it does in summer. I read that it is also planted under fruit trees in fall. I will be doing that as well. The flowers are beautiful!! The only problem is wild bunnies. They go bonkers over it so I had to wrap chicken wire around the box

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Conducting an experiment: Crimson Clover growing with tomatoes in a raised bed.
There is another animal that loves crimson clover: deer. If you have any in the neighborhood they will probably drop by for munchies some night. There are certainly worse late night visitors, but deer do have a nasty habit of biting tomatoes and then spitting them out because they don't like them. It's one thing for the squirrels to eat all my sunflowers. I know they're eating them. But to taste something and then spit it out. That's just wasteful. Deer aren't exactly my favorite food thieves. :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Deer are the worst for munching plants. I live on the outskirts of a forest so we have deer strolling through all day and night. I have to put netting over everything to keep them from nibbling. I've had them take off the tops of my tomato plants (before they had flowered and fruited), decimate my strawberries (in one night!) and just nibble everything in general. Not to mention the massive manure piles! Between deer and slugs, it's amazing I manage to grow anything.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
There is another animal that loves crimson clover: deer. If you have any in the neighborhood they will probably drop by for munchies some night. There are certainly worse late night visitors, but deer do have a nasty habit of biting tomatoes and then spitting them out because they don't like them. It's one thing for the squirrels to eat all my sunflowers. I know they're eating them. But to taste something and then spit it out. That's just wasteful. Deer aren't exactly my favorite food thieves. :)
We don't have many deer around our neighborhood. But I've been told they are very destructive. They every thing

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
How can anyone derive pleasure out of Hunting Foxes!?!?
Do you enjoy watching them being ripped apart by dogs? Do you enjoy the terror in their eyes? Do enjoy spilling their blood? Do you enjoy smashing the puppies brains on the floor if they don't meet your standards?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
How can anyone derive pleasure out of Hunting Foxes!?!?
Do you enjoy watching them being ripped apart by dogs? Do you enjoy the terror in their eyes? Do enjoy spilling their blood? Do you enjoy smashing the puppies brains on the floor if they don't meet your standards?
I have never understood why hunters think themselves more virile because they can kill something with a gun from far away. It's even worse when they torture animals in hunts, or kill them as they hibernate. And then, there are those who watch animals fight for entertainment. What is wrong with us as a species? There are days when I swear I am not actually human; I just look like one.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I have never understood why hunters think themselves more virile because they can kill something with a gun from far away. It's even worse when they torture animals in hunts, or kill them as they hibernate. And then, there are those who watch animals fight for entertainment. What is wrong with us as a species? There are days when I swear I am not actually human; I just look like one.
Was worried you were going to be mad at me for posting about hunting. If you or anyone else on the forum want me to delete it I will.

I agree completely with you about murdering animals for sport. The only animal I've ever killed was a rat my cat caught. I had no choice & it was something I hope I never do again.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
We started to renovate our basement before Covid (been a long journey) We are finally adding the final touches. I've been wanting to create a place where the teenagers could walk in door & hang coats & book bags. So we bought bead board, cut it to fit space, painted it then added trim & hooks. Hopefully I'll be able to find a cool industrial trunk for underneath

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Seriously inspired by Grandin Road & a few birdbaths we've seen in other grave yards.
The weather is going into the 90s this weekend ~ it's time to work on a fun new Halloween art project 🎃🎃🎃

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
These are the marble bird bath-gravestones at Columbia Heights Cemetery. Eventhough I'm planning to be cremated & my ashes spread at Pyramid of the Moon & the Teotihuacan World-Order | Uncovered History
I'm very fond of the idea of birdbath-gravestones🥰
This is a lovely Cemetery. People from walks of life are buried there: Mixed religions, gay couples, interracial... You can tell the people buried here really loved each other. This Cemetery has a wonderful vibe.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 167 Posts