Halloween Forum banner

101 - 120 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
I took pictures of some of the flowers in my yard. I love this time of year. My house is surrounded by rhododendrons and azaleas. I think this is an azalea.

Not sure on this one.

And another azalea I do believe

And these I believe are mountain Laurel also known as "calico bush". I love the buds - they look like some kind of pink candy!

Now I could be wrong on the names. I used a plant ID app and Google to figure them out.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I took pictures of some of the flowers in my yard. I love this time of year. My house is surrounded by rhododendrons and azaleas. I think this is an azalea. View attachment 730773
Not sure on this one.
View attachment 730774
And another azalea I do believe
View attachment 730775
And these I believe are mountain Laurel also known as "calico bush". I love the buds - they look like some kind of pink candy! View attachment 730776
Now I could be wrong on the names. I used a plant ID app and Google to figure them out.
Azaleas & Rhododendrons are very confusing indeed. They don't grow well in zone 7 but then again I don't have much shade. Difference Between Rhododendron & Azalea

Mountain Laurel grows along the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. I've only seen it a few times. Its breathtaking

Your flowers are so lovely. It seems as if the fairy folk live there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you walk near the rhododendrons this time of year, you will hear a loud buzzing from all the bees who flock to them. It's amazing. I like that my yard is helping to keep all the pollinators happy :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
If you walk near the rhododendrons this time of year, you will hear a loud buzzing from all the bees who flock to them. It's amazing. I like that my yard is helping to keep all the pollinators happy :)
Please start a blog🥰 It will be so much fun looking at all your pictures & read all your stories 🎃🎃🎃

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
We had a chance to go to Home Goods yesterday. My heart skipped a beat when my eyes spotted this huge terra cotta pot with Sunflower motif made in Italy. I thought it would be over a $100 however it was marked "Clearance". This thing is incredibly heavy (I do a great deal of weight training & combat) so when I reached down too grab it I was shocked! It has to weigh over 40lbs (40lbs is the weight of a full propane tank - I can lift them with 1 hand)

I'm not happy with the bricks under it but I don't want it sitting directly on ground. Hopefully I can find another concrete pedestal to put underneath

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
We had a chance to go to Home Goods yesterday. My heart skipped a beat when my eyes spotted this huge terra cotta pot with Sunflower motif made in Italy. I thought it would be over a $100 however it was marked "Clearance". This thing is incredibly heavy (I do a great deal of weight training & combat) so when I reached down too grab it I was shocked! It has to weigh over 40lbs (40lbs is the weight of a full propane tank - I can lift them with 1 hand)

I'm not happy with the bricks under it but I don't want it sitting directly on ground. Hopefully I can find another concrete pedestal to put underneath
That's gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
If you are growing tomatoes this year ~ go buy a few hog panels (23.99 at Tractor Supply)
My arches are not pinterest worthy but they are super strong & support like you wouldn't believe. I started with 1 panel 5yrs ago & now I have 6. I'm growing more varieties then ever before & I simply can't grow tomatoes any other way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you are growing tomatoes this year ~ go buy a few hog panels (23.99 at Tractor Supply)
My arches are not pinterest worthy but they are super strong & support like you wouldn't believe. I started with 1 panel 5yrs ago & now I have 6. I'm growing more varieties then ever before & I simply can't grow tomatoes any other way.
I have been using similar panels as rounded cages, but I am fascinated by your use of them as arches. Is there any chance you might go further into their creation, maintenance, and how you keep the vines from collapsing under their own weight as they grow? My tomatoes will often send out a branch outside the cage that then fills up with tomatoes. The weight of the growing tomatoes make the branch droop. When it hits the wire, it bends to the point of breaking or flattening out the branch at the junction. That results in nutrients not getting to that part of the plant and I sit and watch the tomatoes struggle to ripen in time. Does having them grow on an arch stop that from happening?

The older I get, the more making my garden fun seems important to me. Arches seem to fit that bill perfectly. They look fun and picking tomatoes or cucumbers from overhead seems so much more fun than bending over to do the same.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I have been using similar panels as rounded cages, but I am fascinated by your use of them as arches. Is there any chance you might go further into their creation, maintenance, and how you keep the vines from collapsing under their own weight as they grow? My tomatoes will often send out a branch outside the cage that then fills up with tomatoes. The weight of the growing tomatoes make the branch droop. When it hits the wire, it bends to the point of breaking or flattening out the branch at the junction. That results in nutrients not getting to that part of the plant and I sit and watch the tomatoes struggle to ripen in time. Does having them grow on an arch stop that from happening?

The older I get, the more making my garden fun seems important to me. Arches seem to fit that bill perfectly. They look fun and picking tomatoes or cucumbers from overhead seems so much more fun than bending over to do the same.
You've got buy
Its perfect for tomatoes, JBLs, cucumbers & more. Plus you can save the little strips & reuse for a few years. My last roll is over a year old.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Antique books from Germany filled with secret poisons? If I saw one I don't think I'd be able to walk away from such a treasure. True, I could make one ~ all of the necessary plants grow in my garden. But there's something diabolically delicious about owning the real deal

Atropa Bella – most commonly known as Deadly Nightshade or Bella Donna

Aconitum Napellus – commonly known as Monk’s Blood, Aconite, Frair’s Cap , Helen’s Flowers, Monkshood and Wolfsbane. Monk’s Blood contains several poisonous compounds

Bryonia Alba – also known as Devil’s Turnip and Mandrake, all parts of the plant contain byronin, a poison which can cause illness and may be fatal

Papaver Somnif (papaver somniferur) – is the Opium Poppy, the source of many narcotics including morphine

Hyoscyamus Niger – commonly known as Henbane, Stinking Nightshade, Hog’s Bean or Black Henbane. Common effects of consuming henbane include hallucinations and sensations of flight.

Daphne Merzereum (presumably Daphne Mezereum) – February Daphne, Spurge Laurel or Spurge Olive. It is highly toxic, producing choking

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Lyrics to one of my favorite songs from Incubus-Succubus

Belladonna and aconite
Give to me the gift of flight
Take me up, ever on in the night
In a dream, across the sky
A hundred-million miles high
Take me ever onwards in the night
Dark sisters join my night flight
See how far you can climb
Holt's with us on this bright night
Ride with him 'cross the sky
As a screaming horde
We cut the scape
The Devil's Apple exacerbates
At the sabbat on a demon steed I ride
~~~~~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Btw if you are going to scream Lesbian ..its Ms. Lipstick Lesbian
I can out lift & run faster you. ..
P.S. I'm happily married!
Both Derrick and I are amazed at how cruel people can be just saying or doing what they think is funny. I am not sure if the couple was trying to be insulting, but we know a few Lesbians. They are the kind of people that we should all aspire to be. I'm sure in any group there are awful people, but at least from our limited experience, there are far worse things to be called than Lesbian. Derrick and I rarely get called Lesbians, so we appreciate knowing the proper response should it ever arise. We would also be happily married, but early on we found living in sin was so much fun, we never got around to visiting the courthouse. We might reconsider if we ever find a wedding cake that tastes good, or if we really need a new toaster and blender.

We like your sidewalk art. We like your response to bigotry. People who grow plants seem to get that nothing on this planet lives independent of everything else. We are better when we realize that, and work to make all our lives a bit easier by just being kind. Such a simple lesson that seems to be so foreign to so many. We're glad you are a gardener. We're glad you're happily married. We're glad that you can kick butt with the best of them. We're sorry you're not a Lesbian, but hey, no one is perfect. :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You've got to buy VELCRO-Brand-45-ft-Plant-Tie. Its perfect for tomatoes, JBLs, cucumbers & more. Plus you can save the little strips & reuse for a few years. My last roll is over a year old.
Home Depot didn't have it in stock, but Amazon did. We'll look forward to having the most organized plants in the neighborhood. :)

101 - 120 of 167 Posts