Halloween Forum banner
241 - 260 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
In August I had a chance to do some canning. So I made my very favorite: "Maker's Mark Fig Jam"
The jam needs to rest for a few weeks so that the flavors can meld together.
October 31st is the perfect day to open a jar & use the jam in Rosemary tarts. Once the tarts are cooled - its time to drizzle the pomegranate syrup over the top

Fig trees are steeped in symbolism & mythology. Ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Spanish, etc. Share a rich culinary history with the fruit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
It was so much fun making our Halloween window boxes this year. They really brought a lot of smiles too.
The "Count The Black Cat" game delighted all the kids & quite a few adults.

Attachments

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,394 Posts
While I've only skimmed through the posts, I must say I like what I've read. Tomsbstones, gardening, Poe, what's not to like? A haunted or witchy garden has always been on my wishlist. I'm planning to start on a new herb garden soon so who knows what that will lead to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
While I've only skimmed through the posts, I must say I like what I've read. Tomsbstones, gardening, Poe, what's not to like? A haunted or witchy garden has always been on my wishlist. I'm planning to start on a new herb garden soon so who knows what that will lead to.
Hi, Lizzy

I'm afraid I had to log in under my husband's account because I don't remember my password & haven't received any "forgot my password emails"

What type of herbs are you wanting to grow? I'm always here to help in any way I can. I also have tons of seeds if you need some.
Question ~ was it you who posted about Blue Flowers? Wolf's Bane, Aconite or Monkshood (all the same flower) is a magnificent blue. It blooms in October. I posted photos of them last year. I'll repost if you want me to. Btw - I'm trying to work out a way you could somehow incorporate Werewolves with Wolf's Bane but not in such a way it would harm the wolf.

This year I created a Poison Garden. Basically I moved all of my poisonous plants to one garden. It looks amazing & there is always something strangely beautiful blooming. The poppies look glorious today.

Attachments

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,394 Posts
Ugh! Hope you're able to get back into your account again.

No I didn't post about the blue flowers but have always been interested in Monkshood.

Mainly I'm leaning towards culinary and medicinal herbs. Have lemon balm, oregano, chives, garlic chives, catnip, thyme, lavender and sage though I don't have much luck overwintering the last two. They might make it through one winter but gone the next. Oh and I have spearmint, peppermint and chocolate mint too. I'm also the weirdo that lets the dandelions and wild violets grow and made jelly from the blossoms of each this spring. I do have wild foxglove growing in the edge of the woods but keeping it out of the garden for now as I have an inquisitive six-year-old who loves to pick and smell flowers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ugh! Hope you're able to get back into your account again.

No I didn't post about the blue flowers but have always been interested in Monkshood.

Mainly I'm leaning towards culinary and medicinal herbs. Have lemon balm, oregano, chives, garlic chives, catnip, thyme, lavender and sage though I don't have much luck overwintering the last two. They might make it through one winter but gone the next. Oh and I have spearmint, peppermint and chocolate mint too. I'm also the weirdo that lets the dandelions and wild violets grow and made jelly from the blossoms of each this spring. I do have wild foxglove growing in the edge of the woods but keeping it out of the garden for now as I have an inquisitive six-year-old who loves to pick and smell flowers.
Monk's Hood is devastatingly beautiful. The blooms are ethereal. There is nothing like them in the world.

Well, if you are near Northern Virginia - I can give you lots of herbs.

Catnip is super easy to grow from seed. We grew a catnip hedge for our cats (Hocus & Pocus) They love to sleep in it.

Lavender can take being cold but hates being soggy & cold. I grow alot of Lavender from seed. It takes a lot of time but it's worth it.

This was my first year growing Sage from seed. I pretty happy with it so far. I'm planning to bring it in for winter.

Lots of foxglove grow in the Poison Garden

Oh yeah, we let those dandelions grow for the bees

Here's a few photos of the garden

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Grandin Road sold adorable cat topiaries in spring. I originally planted the cats w/geraniums but you couldn't really see them.
Then I thought about "Succulents". So built a small rockery under the cats to lift them up make them more visible. My daughter gave me a few of her succulents & I bought the rest. I'm so pleased with the way they turned out.

Attachments

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,394 Posts
Monk's Hood is devastatingly beautiful. The blooms are ethereal. There is nothing like them in the world.

Well, if you are near Northern Virginia - I can give you lots of herbs.
I'm in the middle of West Virginia and appreciate the offer but trying to get everything potted up or in the ground to get established before winter arrives. One more day and I should have the rest of the chives and oregano out of the old herb bed and can begin on the new one.

I grew catnip from seed last year and needed a place to overwinter it, so it's currently in the vegetable garden in the corner of one of the raised beds. Two of the cats constantly follow me into the garden but haven't found it yet.

Your garden is absolutely gorgeous!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the middle of West Virginia and appreciate the offer but trying to get everything potted up or in the ground to get established before winter arrives. One more day and I should have the rest of the chives and oregano out of the old herb bed and can begin on the new one.

I grew catnip from seed last year and needed a place to overwinter it, so it's currently in the vegetable garden in the corner of one of the raised beds. Two of the cats constantly follow me into the garden but haven't found it yet.

Your garden is absolutely gorgeous!
Hope it doesn't sound cliché but I have so many wonderful memories of the Kanawha
river. Idk where you are in West Virginia but it is a wonderful state.
Harper's Ferry, Sheppard's town, Charlestown are beautiful too. It's funny, I think we spend more time in West VA, Pennsylvania & Maryland

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bought a beautiful Vintage Halloween Inspired Black Cat from the
Timothy De Clue Collection (Black Cat on right). It fits perfectly with my
mix of Vintage & new.

I wanted to mention that the box arrived badly dented. But thanks to the
excellent packing the Cat was undamaged. Customer service was great too

Attachments

241 - 260 of 281 Posts