Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pinned this idea awhile back, and never did look at the pin! I'm terrible about that. I am also terribly dependent upon Pinterest, and when the site doesn't cooperate, I am left to my own devices. Needless to say, it wasn't cooperating this morning when I began this project, so I winged it.

I'm guessing that I didn't change much, but it looks like the original pin uses a strand of fall garland, rather than Dollar Tree fake bouquets. Theirs also has a ribbon and a stand. I will add a stand later, but I'm ambivalent about the ribbon.

I intended for this to be a completely "Dollar Tree" project, but my pool noodle was too thick to make a small wreath. There was too much space around the picture, and I didn't think I could fill it with flowers properly. However, my end result seems a little crowded too, so I may make a second one with a cut pool noodle, and see how it goes. I would have to leave the outer frame on the picture for that, I think.

On to the project!

The wreath form is made with a piece of 3/8" Frost King pipe insulation, and a piece of duct tape. I bent the insulation in different lengths before cutting, holding it in front of the picture in order to cover as much of the frame as possible, then cut to the desired size.

I used 10 flower "bouquets" from Dollar Tree. I'm not entirely happy with the ones that I chose. I didn't want to wait till the fall and Halloween flowers were stocked. I did not use the black lei shown in the picture, because my 3 yr old woke up mid-project, and I only had my heavy duty hot glue gun onhand, and don't trust him around it. Also, I'm not terribly happy with the way that I arranged the flowers, so I don't want anything permanently adhered just yet.

I left the leaves on the flowers, but I had to push them up the stem to meet the bottom of the flower to do this. I scored the plastic of the stems about an inch below the pushed-up leaves. Wire cutters would have come in handy here, but I didn't want to break out the tool box in front of the kid. That's always a disaster!

After scoring the plastic at the cutting point, I just bent the stem back and forth a few times, and it came apart easily. I pushed the flowers in where I thought that they should go. I tried to not crowd them, and I tried to keep the pattern consistent.

I am no florist! The arrangement needs some work, but it's really easy to rearrange.

Now I just need to take a couple of dark dry cleaning hangers and wire cutters, and make the stand. After the kiddo decides to nap. ;)

Attempt #1:

HALL fwreath1.jpg

Initially, I taped the wreath form on top of the outer frame of the picture. Once the wreath was filled, I realized that the photo was set too far back. It couldn't be seen very well. So, I removed it from the form, cut the outer frame off, and gently stuffed it inside the form so that it's closer to the front. Luckily, I had cut it just enough for it to be snug in there, without bending it. If you wanted to adhere the picture to the front of the wreath form, that might work even better. You may need to trim it more than I did, though.

Attempt #2, after cutting frame:

HALL fwreath2.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
The wreath looks great! I like this idea, I put a lenticular on the coffin in our living but how much cooler would it be in such a wreath! I think I will give this project a try using black flowers. Thanks for posting :)

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I think maybe not a lot of people have seen this thread. Some who asked to see the finished result haven't mentioned it. Not that they HAD to...but I thought that they might.

Maybe I will post it in another thread as well, so we can see the others that people create!

haha, oops...I just noticed that this thread has over 200 views, so I guess people saw it, but didn't like it. Oh well. ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I did this craft and I really liked the end result. I still haven't figured out why I can't access the app but when I do I will be sure to post pics. My wreath is mostly black with hints of silver as that is the color scheme of the room in which it will be displayed.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I like it, too. Very creative and different!

Maybe many are like me, I tend to check the same threads over and over. You might post a link to this in the Crafts thread or repost it there . I know this is on the craft board, but I mean the one with new general crafts. You will get more comments there I think.

I went and looked for the name of the one I was thinking about---Showcase your craft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts