Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my botched hot coals prop where the cheap LED strands could have started a FIRE, I'm wanting to find a solution.

The cheap LED strands that I first attempted to use are not only a potential fire hazard, but they also aren't waterproof or even moisture resistance. So, I started looking around and I found some decent LED string lights at Target. They have the steady ON strings and a flickering/twinkling version as well. The problem that I see is that the flicker strings are going way too fast for a realistic hot coals effect.

So, my question to some of you electronic gurus out there is this: How can I slow down the rate of the flickering? Could I use a dimmer to accomplish this goal? Is there a cheap control board that a novice could put together with a little bit of practice? I'd love to be able to make them do a slow fade in and out instead of the fast twinkling.

It would be great to be able to use the product from Target (or wherever), since they are indoor/outdoor and the construction and wiring are far heavier and superior to the cheap LED strings that I got from E-bay, and they aren't that much more expensive at about $12 a string.

I'd REALLY be grateful for some help on this!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I assume that since they flicker the led strand is dimmable, not all leds are.

So onto the dimmer, it is not as easy as just a dimmer, that will allow the power to be from zero to 100% (full on) but it requires a lighting controller to do so.

Even then it would be a manual fade up and down.

I did a GoggleGoogle search for auto dimming led circuitnoneut noe that looked promising.

It may be easier to hack the led string flicker circuit. I am susomeonetherene heare can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hmmm. Challenge accepted. I had problems with the wiring on the cheap Chinese lights I was using shorting out and was thinking I need some better quality LED ones. I hate to think of how burnt my lights and wiring are under the foam. I guess if I can't hack them, I'll have new Christmas lights...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts