Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, I was wondering what you guys thought about led spot lights.
I was thinking of using them for a LOR setup. any thoughts?
thanks

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
I invested in a couple PAR-30 60 UV-LED floodlamps last year and absolutely love them because my blacklight source can be 10+feet away from what I'm lighting. I've heard that the difference between colored LED floods and incandescent floods is less noticeable and may not be worth the extra$$. What's an LOR setup? Its not in the haunt dictionary or jargon pages.:confused:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have used LED spot lights with Light Show Master, which functions similiar to Light-O-Rama. The only problem you'll have with LED spots is they have a limited dimming range and they dim different than incadescents. Incadescents usually have a consistent drop in brightness as you dim them. Not quite so with LED spots. With my LED spots, they don't dim much between 80-100% power, and then they dim very fast when dropping below 80%. At 50% they don't even light anymore. So you get limited dim range, and the curve is somewhat flattened compared to an incadescent, but they do work. At least the ones that I get from Minions Web, anyway. The new ones from Minions Web this year are supposed to have some improvements, but I don't have them yet and I don't know what those improvements are. I'll test them when they come in.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I strongly recommend using both Pin Spots and LED's, each of these provides different atmospheric effects. I use pin spots for direct hi-lighting of props and LED's for background effects. IMO this is definitely the way to go.

Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about. I used both a pin spot and and 36 LED spot for this prop. Checkout the shadows in the background as well.

I have included both a day and night shot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try using a Mini Spotlight. They can be found on the link at the bottom. They are all LED and extremely bright. they light only what you want them to (Spot Mode) or they can wash a scene. there are 10 colors and even a UV one. They are only $10 a piece and last a lifetime.
https://www.minispotlight.com/
Wiz

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have used LED spot lights with Light Show Master, which functions similiar to Light-O-Rama. The only problem you'll have with LED spots is they have a limited dimming range and they dim different than incadescents. Incadescents usually have a consistent drop in brightness as you dim them. Not quite so with LED spots. With my LED spots, they don't dim much between 80-100% power, and then they dim very fast when dropping below 80%. At 50% they don't even light anymore. So you get limited dim range, and the curve is somewhat flattened compared to an incadescent, but they do work. At least the ones that I get from Minions Web, anyway. The new ones from Minions Web this year are supposed to have some improvements, but I don't have them yet and I don't know what those improvements are. I'll test them when they come in.
Sounds like you need to add snubbers to deal with the LED dimming curve, which is common in low wattage LED lamp.
Especially with red bulbs.
If you are using less than 15 watts total LED on a channel, it is not uncommon.
Unlike incandescents, the power to energize an LED is not linear, and it is more difficult when you add drivers and arrays into the mix.

I understand LOR is working on a better LED driver to accomodate the increase in LED usage.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Have you guys ever considered coiling up a string of LED lights and sticking them in a metal cone? Kind of curious to know what effect this would have. I picked up a ton of red / green lights after christmas last year, just dont know what I am going to use them for at this point!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hmm... I got an email notice of a post to this thread by rozordermit asking for the eBay store info, but the message isn't here (?).

I've purchased leds from both of these stores...
HKJE Leds
TopBright

And it looks like these sell the same kind of products...
Shop4LEDs
Light of Victory

I've purchased some 1W 10mm 40degree LEDs, and they're phenomenal! This last season, I used a Red, Green, and Blue on each side to light up a mask behind some one-way glass. Here's some photos.

Taken in normal room light
View attachment 9526

Taken in darkness
View attachment 9527

Despite it being a completely static prop, the Medusa really let me inject some life into it. I found a couple different tricks that made for really dynamic lighting. Beyond just strobing the LEDs, I found that quickly changing colors on each side was really dramatic (red on left, blue on right - then swap sides back and forth quickly in a strobing action).

The other thing I found really neat was using the WaveMotion Analysis feature in VSA to modulate the brightness with the voice for the character. I'd set the WaveMotion events for the left side lighting, then copy them over to the right side lighting. Then, I'd insert a time shift into the right side's events - that way it'd be a little bit behind the left side's lighting. Even though the prop didn't move at all, this combination really gave a good illusion of the mask 'projecting' the voice. Hard to describe, and unfortunately the video is total crap because the camera couldn't handle low-light well. I heard there's better video from someone else. If there's interest, I'll see if I can get a hold of it.

- Hook

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hook, I would be interested in the video. BTW great lighting on the prop and the ideas for livening one up. I hope to purchase a Medusa board before this Halloween, it sounds like a great board. Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts