Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time attempting to use LEDs for spotlights. Got almost everything ordered from LEDs, RCA Jack panels and wires. However I do have a question about powering.

Can I just take a wall wart and solder it to the Jack panel to provide power? How will I know how big of a wall wart to use? I ordered several 4 Jack RCA panels and would like to minimize the wall warts I need to use.

Also, the LEDs I ordered are prewired, if I were to do three to a spotlight, would I just solder the three positive wires together, the three negative wires together and then solder to their appropriate wall wart wire?

·
Registered
629 Posts
The main problem I've found with using wall warts is they are usually unregulated. What that means is a 12V wall wart can put out higher voltage than the stated 12V and your LEDs will tend to burn out quickly.

For powering LEDs you need a regulated power supply. Some people use computer power supplies which supply regulated voltage and with an ATX supply you get your choice of 12V, 5V and 3.3V.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've had the same question only I'm seriously thinking about buying my LED lights on ebay since they are waterproof and for the ease. I'm new to the LED/wiring world and have a couple of questions.

I would think you'd wire these in parallel and understand the difference between parallel and series wiring (the theory), but how would be the best/most efficient way to physically wire the lights in parallel across and whole yard? Can someone direct me to a link/post/tutorial where this is explained?

Chewbacca, what power source could you recommend?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm currently using a brick power adapter from an old defunct laptop.

I just got a new graphics card for my desktop and had to upgrade the power supply to run it, so I'll be looking into using the old one to power Halloween LED lighting and low voltage props.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for tips so far.

As for PC power supply, I don't think I am skilled enough to do that yet. Just soldered for the first time on Tuesday. I am fully confident in soldering a wall wart. Are there any that are regulated and if so what voltage should I look for to use on my LED spotlights?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts