Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I bought some pre wired LED's that I'm using in a project. ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZIRPM4/ )

I'm still trying to figure out how to hook them up, but need some help. Would I use a Power supply or LED driver to drive these? I only need 6-10 of these led's hooked up. I'm not sure if they would be in series or parallel or if that matters. Its basically to light up the inside of a prop I'm building.

Anyone with lighting experience assist? I can solder and get them hooked up, thats not the issue, just not sure if I can buy a 12V power supply and use that, or what. Was gonna try like this https://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Power-Supply-Transformers-Adapter/dp/B01461MOGQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1538399471&sr=8-6&keywords=led+12v+power+supply

but not sure if I can just stuff all the wires in that free connector or do i Need a terminal block, or maybe thats why I need to wire them in series, so I'll only have 2 wires to input into that free connector?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Those LED's are pre-wired with a resistor already installed for use with 12V so you would need a 12VDC power source of at least 200ma (500ma min suggested) to power 10 of them. Connect all of the positive wires together and all of the negative wires together and then to your power source (parallel).
The power supply you have linked to will work fine although it's overkill for your application.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't even understand how you know that lol, as I don't see any information in regards to the lights about their forwarding voltage, mA, etc. Thank you very much for your expertise!

·
Registered
719 Posts
May I recommend getting some 2-terminal wiring connectors for ease of replacement. You can rig up the LED's, but solder them to some weatherproofed automotive style wiring connectors.

A quick example:

http://a.co/d/21jEUmq

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
You really don't need any connectors, LED's last virtually forever unless you over-voltage them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey jman so I hooked up all 6 wires red to red, black to black and the lights done come on. If I hook up 2 pair, 4 wires. It seems like it works. Is the power supply not ample?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
If you have everything wired correctly then something is wrong with that PS, 6 LED's is only 120ma.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Try "pigtailing" your wires to a wire nut and go single wire into those barrel end terminals.

Sounds like your LEDs are either dead or your power supply is not regulated. It is hard to imagine a 2a power supply going under the ma you need.

A 9v battery has 500ma so you could just try that as well. Need a battery snap so keep it in mind.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thanks guys, I'll report back. I'll try the pigtail option first. Then maybe buy the other psu u try. The LED's arnt bad cuz they work independently when I hook them up to that psu.

Maybe I'll take a picture and post it so you have an idea of what I'm doing

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fell asleep last night before I could the hooking it up with a nut screw. Was in a hurry for work, but wanted to snap a pic of how I was hooking it up. Hard to do it all with one hand and one hand on the phone, but the pic gives an idea of how I was taking the positive and negatives together and putting them in the free connector.

I'll see tonight what happens when I try doing it with a wire nut and then taking a pigtail and going into the connector instead. Although I sense it wont make a difference. Only thing was, I was kinda half assing it..so its possible one or two of the wires wasn't making a good connection twisting them all together, but seems like that wouldnt affect anything

Attachments

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
It is kinda hard to jam 6 wires into a terminal block. Also, I'm sure you're aware that LED's are a diode and won't light if polarity is reversed. Can you post a pic of the actual LED's?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is kinda hard to jam 6 wires into a terminal block. Also, I'm sure you're aware that LED's are a diode and won't light if polarity is reversed. Can you post a pic of the actual LED's?
The led's are pre-wired from amazon, so it shouldn't be possible that I messed that up. Besides, I think I mentioned already, but I tested each led prior to all of this hooked up to the PSU. They light up skull eyes, so I took an led from a skull eye, hooked it up, then hooked up the other one after disconnecting the first one. Each time I did that, each one worked, so I know the polarity should be fine.

I'll report back though. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Yeah, the red/black should be good as they were shipped, but it is possible to have the polarity reversed when you put the wires into the terminal blocks. Also as Industen mentioned, with all 12 wires jammed into that connector, all it takes is one stray strand of wire to be touching both sides and it will shut down the power supply.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts