Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my first props for 2015.

The candles I made a couple of years ago but originally had flicker bulbs in them. I've had trouble with the flicker bulbs ever since I made them, so today I tore out the guts and rewired it with flicker LED's which are run with a 12vdc wall wart.

The oil lamp was an estate sale find a year ago. Wired it up with a single flicker LED and the rest is history... It too runs on 12vdc wall wart.

My goal this year is to focus on LED lighting and candles. You can never have enough candles for Halloween!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Love those candles and especially the lamp. I see those at the thrift shop all the time and wondered if I could wire an LED in them. Could you share where you got the flicker LEDs?

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a note for those looking to run multiple LED's from one source... If you look at the video closely (candles), you will notice that the back 5 candles flicker at the same time and the front 5 flicker at the same time (I am OCD so I notice these things, nobody else has noticed). This (not knowingly) is because I wired them up in 2 series of 5 LED's. Something like this schematic:

________Resistor --> LED --> LED --> LED --> LED --> LED
12v (+) <__________________________________________> (-) 12v
________Resistor --> LED --> LED --> LED --> LED --> LED

This is the correct way to wire them however I was unaware that it would cause each row to flicker at the same time. If I had to do it again, I would randomly put them in the candles. I hope that makes sense. If anyone needs help, I am happy to answer questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts