Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a big increase in the technology used in LED bulbs over the past few years, in that many are now dimmable. Does anyone know if these dimmable bulbs can be successfully used with lightning machines?

We run two 500w Halogen floods outside, which do a great job for producing the lightning effect. However, the iZombie machine I use has a max capacity of 1200 watts. That's somewhat limiting for adding extra bulbs. I'd like to add a more bulbs without increasing the wattage too much.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Really depends on the LED. Some are instant on and some aren't. If it's not instant on, it won't work well with a lightning machine. The other option would be to use 300W halogens or even 100W. I use 100W halogens with my 4 channel iZombie and they put out plenty of light.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 500w floods I'm using are lighting up the upper portion of the entire house, so I looked up the lumen difference between 300w and 500w. The 500w bulbs are twice as bright, so moving to 300w for these probably isn't a good option for me.

Good point about the instant-on with LEDs. I haven't seen any that mimic an incandescent's pre and after "glow".

Really depends on the LED. Some are instant on and some aren't. If it's not instant on, it won't work well with a lightning machine. The other option would be to use 300W halogens or even 100W. I use 100W halogens with my 4 channel iZombie and they put out plenty of light.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes, me too. I noticed they compared it to a 500w bulb, but it as the lumens of a 300w.

You could always try the 300W lights, if they don't work for you can just take them back.
I just checked the Home Depot site and they have the 300w bulbs in stock for $4. When I get around to pulling out the gear, I think I'll buy one and compare it to the 500w. It it's bright enough, I can run 4 of these on the same iZombie machine, which adds some extra opportunity :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im in the same situation right now. Trying to put together a lightning simulator without spending thousands i dont have Haha. Im using a 4 channel color organ (works surprisingly well) and testing different lights. The best dimmable Leds ive found are from Feit Electric. No flickering, instant response time and smooth dimming. I picked the 5000k 90w equivalent. Even safe in damp locations. They have the perfect blue/white color.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hmmmmmmm, for mine we use 6 - 100W Incandescent bulbs. I have three large maple trees in my yard. I have them in flood light sockets with the flat base. I then have the base in a metal coffee can with drain holes for rain. I take those and place them in the trees in specific locations and zip tie them to a branch. These are all pointed up into the trees. What makes it work for me is that maple trees are the last to drop all their leaves so I have folage in the trees through Halloween. Mind you that we set up Labor Day weekend and it remains up until the weekend after Halloween.

So all in all this gives a great effect flashing through the leaves, the coffee cans make it so you can't see the light sources, and it is a great effect. You can see it from two blocks down the street.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here is what I use.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-120-Watt-Equivalent-PAR38-Dimmable-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-Daylight-2-Pack-5bHPR1200SW1D03/206668100

When I say that they work...I mean they work. We actually have our lightning rig behind our house so that it silhouettes the house in a really fun classic horror film manner. Three of these pointed up into the trees makes it looks like daylight behind the house when these bad-boys come on. 5000k comes across like a really nice blue-white without looking too artificial. People remarked all season long (we have a neighborhood page on FB) about how awesome our lightning was.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is what I use.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-120-Watt-Equivalent-PAR38-Dimmable-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-Daylight-2-Pack-5bHPR1200SW1D03/206668100

When I say that they work...I mean they work. We actually have our lightning rig behind our house so that it silhouettes the house in a really fun classic horror film manner. Three of these pointed up into the trees makes it looks like daylight behind the house when these bad-boys come on. 5000k comes across like a really nice blue-white without looking too artificial. People remarked all season long (we have a neighborhood page on FB) about how awesome our lightning was.
Cool. I'd be interested in a video, if you had one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cool. I'd be interested in a video, if you had one.
I tried taking a video last year but my phone takes awful low light videos, so the video came out as pitch black and then just pure white everything because the camera couldn't adapt fast enough. I'll see if I can't get a video tonight. Unfortunately it's still bright outside until nearly 10pm here, so that might be easier said than done.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've been using a LED work light I picked up at Costco for a couple of years now and it works quite well. I was in Costco a couple of days ago and noticed they have a different model that seems to be brighter than the one I'm using.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
are instant leds costlier ?
LEDs generally cost more upfront. But they're supposed to last longer and use less energy. I have my doubts about how long they last compared to other lighting options when they're tossed into the haunting world. I have LED lights that have burned out way before their 10,000 hour rating.

Still, they burn cooler than halogen and incandescent bulbs, so that can be a big plus in tight situations. They're also insanely versatile because of their size and color options including RGB, a light that can be whatever color you want it to be with the click of a remote, including running though the entire color spectrum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts