Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello spooktastic denizens of this fangtastic forum! I have quietly lurked in the shadows for a few years now, but I have been a loyal reader every Halloween. I've just never had anything to say that could potentially add to the conversation in a positive or thought-provoking way so I stayed quiet. Until today, that is!

I stumbled on this blog post over at Patheos (I promise I'm not the writer, don't know the writer, not looking for publicity for the writer) and after reading it, I immediately wondered what the people who post here would think of what the blogger has said.

Again, I have no horse in this race, I just thought "I bet they have some fantastic input on this topic" and thought to bring it here for discussion. I'm saving my opinion on the matter until others have a chance to weigh in. :eek:

(Oh man, do I ever apologize if this somehow violates rules or terms of lurkdom or something. I understand if this needs to be moved or deleted or flogged in town square. It's tough being the new kid.)

***This is the handy place where I put the link to the blog, but I was told that I needed to have 3 posts before I could post a link so just... hang on a second, okay? I'll go post a bit... So scary! Much foolish!)***

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Sadly, that's very true. But, also true of every day items as well. I guess we "forget" that a little more often when it comes to decorating for holidays. I'm actually glad that there's not a lot out there (available to me, at least), that I want to buy. I like to go out and look at it, but as the years have passed, I find myself buying fewer items.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Sorry but the moment I read that blogger refer to Pagan this and Pagan that, I knew this person had a personal agenda and campaign. I read through much of what was written and expected to read just about what I did. I'll leave it at that, better left unsaid.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,606 Posts
Yes, I buy things in stores from time to time...I love almost anything Halloween, so if I see something cool for a good price, it's hard not to grab it up...but, I do also make, build and craft much of my decor, too. As for thrift stores, I think I have bought them all out of Halloween merchandise in the past few months in a 100 mile radius around me, and even some out of state. Hahaha...I may have gone a bit overboard with the thrift store Halloween hunting...
I also love to decorate with natural things...corn, pumpkins, gourds, apples, hay bales, grapevine...I even grow my own mini pumpkins!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,606 Posts
Sorry but the moment I read that blogger refer to Pagan this and Pagan that, I knew this person had a personal agenda and campaign. I read through much of what was written and expected to read just about what I did. I'll leave it at that, better left unsaid.
Yeah, the "Pagan" stuff bothered me, I'll agree there. I thought that was odd...I mean, does this person dislike Pagans or something?

·
Reaper Queen
8,621 Posts
I actually believe they do have a issue with it, or Halloween in general, because why aim it at only one Holiday, does she not think Christmas, Valentines, even the summer out door decor is not the same dog gone thing? did she hand make all her indoor decor, wall hangings,etc, because they all come from the same place, should it be stopped? yes, I am sure it should, but a rant on Halloween decorating is not the way to go about it,

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
As Lair Mistress has said, the same could be said for all holidays. And for people who have the time and talent, homemade is the way to go. But why should we look down on people who buy from the stores. Halloween is second to Christmas in holiday sales in this country. So I would say there are a lot of people in this country who have jobs because of this holiday. And as sad as it is that people in other countries are basically slave labor. Would our stopping buying cheap props free them? Or would they just have them make something else. Or find worse jobs out in the elements, in mines, or places I know nothing about, but I would imagine would give me night mares. As honorable as her intentions are, we can't solve all the problems in the world. The one thing that kind of bugs me is that she keeps calling us pagans. Usually people who call me pagan, are not on board with Halloween. But that's just my two cents.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,606 Posts
I actually believe they do have a issue with it, or Halloween in general, because why aim it at only one Holiday, does she not think Christmas, Valentines, even the summer out door decor is not the same dog gone thing? did she hand make all her indoor decor, wall hangings,etc, because they all come from the same place, should it be stopped? yes, I am sure it should, but a rant on Halloween decorating is not the way to go about it,
Yeah, I didn't even think to mention the fact that this person is picking on Halloween and Pagans specifically, when they should have an issue with ALL store bought things for all holidays and everyday, not just Halloween.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yeah, I didn't like how much the word pagans was used. I feel the same way scareme, I don't know how stopping people from buying items that were made overseas is going to help the people that are making them, like you said, if they are taken from that job they would probably end up in a worse job somewhere else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, regarding the "Pagan" topic, It's my understanding that Patheos is a multi-religious blog site, so she probably anticipated that most readers would, in fact, be Pagans.

I like the point made about singling out Halloween, as opposed to all of the other overtly materialistic holidays in America. I would suppose that that could be attributed to speaking directly to Pagans, as well. I, myself, am not Pagan so I can't speak to that, but I would assume it (or Samhain, rather) is a pretty big holiday for them.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,606 Posts
I am not Pagan, exactly, but I do have some Pagan beliefs and such, and I have family members who are Pagan...Samhain/Halloween/All Hallow's Eve is important to me, and to them...but this authors wording still didn't sit well with me. I don't know. Oh well, lol.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Honestly...I just moved away from one of Canada's biggest oil producing cities this past winter. It sounds like the same drivel we used to hear from green peace protestors up there. *please bote my hubs or myself were not involved with the oil industry ourselves*...oh...it's the green peace folks here again to protest the oil sands? Flown in on their private jet? Yeah... That doesn't reek of hypocrisy does it? I guess this ever caring earth loving blogger doesn't update their blog from a phone, or computer, both which use petroleum to produce?

What a load of malarky. Yes....I will agree that people should always make a conscious effort to be "aware" when they buy things...but that shouldn't just be directed to us "pagans" at Halloween time. It should be a daily thing. I buy things new, I make things, I thrift things. For Halloween, but also in other areas of my life.

This sounds to me more like this person wanted a soapbox to spew from than actually giving a hoot about the environment. Otherwise...why not just write about mass production in general? Or focus on buying local/homemade whenever you can. Sounds like they have a personal beef with Halloween, and don't know how to handle it other than lashing out at "pagans" who celebrate the holiday.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't generally like being preached to.

Though I know two wrongs don't make a right and a lesser of two evils scenario isn't optimum (optimal? - can't remember...and me a writer! They should take my You're Allowed to Write card away), let's face facts: these goods are seasonal and aren't being produced on anywhere near the scale of other everyday items that we buy without blinking year-round.

Again: I just don't really like being preached to. I am a grown-up, I am informed, and I will make my own decisions. I will be as ethical as possible, as much as possible. But this blog brings to mind my brother-in-law's new girlfriend who is a reformed partier (at least judging by her outside, sorry to say) and can do nothing but yap at every single family gathering that such-and-such isn't healthy (in the most condescending way possible). Of course, she's "just trying to help" us obviously ignorant, soon-to-be-cancer-ridden, pathetically underinformed souls. You can't even bring bottled water...I mean my GOD, the PLAAAAAAAAAAASTIC! Can't we all just feel our neurons being artificially separated and MS setting in with every sip? Heaven help us.

So...pass.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
You can't throw stones in glass houses. .blogger, I'm pretty sure , has taken part in the exploitation, in one form or another,take your drivel to the other holiday forum

1 - 20 of 63 Posts