Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm scouring craigslist and ebay for a reasonably priced ($10) black and white tv for my zombie fallout shelter. I'm trying to find a small vintage tube tv 8-13'' that has a yellow composite input. I plan to connect a video source to the tv and run a emergency broadcast loop through it. I suppose I could just find a color tv and make the video I display black and white, but there's something cool about old tech. I'm looking for a small tv (potentially the kind with wood paneling on the sides). Anyone have ideas about where I might find one outside of craigslist? I'm thinking perhaps thrift shops and the like.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Good luck. I'm not sure if they even used composite inputs with black and white TVs. Most of the ones I remember had antenna inputs not even coax. If you want a black and white video screen you might want to look for security video monitors. You can always build an enclosure that looks like a vintage TV.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi,

Certainly, for the age of tv you're looking at, you'll be lucky to find one with composite input..

You may be able to get some old monochrome pc screens - white or green, many had composite input. even the ones with a 9D input (CGA) you could wire directly to standard composite signals much of the time.

There is also the option of old cctv monitors - many of them, older ones, are black and white and certainly composite input.
They may also bring extra 'character' as they'll probably have some image burn in from years of use..

if you go for vintage tv with uhf input, then you'll need to add a modulator, you can scrounge one from an old computer or games system and will need a 5v supplu for it. - If you go this way, drop me a message, I can give you more info to help

Cheers

Si

·
Registered
181 Posts
i would look for a cheap b/w CCTV and then make a wood box for it to give it the look you want. that way you would have the black and white you want, the modern connection port and exactly the look for the outside you want. or better yet break the outer plastic case and make it look like it is a salvaged part could go nicely with a zombie apocalypse scene...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would look for a cheap b/w CCTV and then make a wood box for it to give it the look you want. that way you would have the black and white you want, the modern connection port and exactly the look for the outside you want. or better yet break the outer plastic case and make it look like it is a salvaged part could go nicely with a zombie apocalypse scene...
Some good reqs. here guys. Thanks. I also found that the small portable tv's (the kind used in trailers/rv's) have regular composite inputs even though they're strictly black and white. A portable tv might be best since it's super small and can go places where power is hard to get to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts