Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Kitschiest Kitsch
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent so much this year on props, decor and ambiance. It's a very small friends/family BYOB affair, but I will supply limited beverages, foods and champagne bar (sparkling wine and a selection of juices).

Can I just be lazy with food and slice up some Tombstone pizzas, veggies and dip, chips and salsa, mozzarella sticks and such?

Does this sound lazy to you or...

I feel like I should be doing so much more as far as home-made goes. I'm a super awesome cook, but I just want to take it easy, after all the planning. Does it look lazy to be....well, lazy?

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
Nothing wrong with easy pick-up foods. Personally, I'm making mac & cheese, my husband is making chili, and everything else is easy stuff.

·
Registered
706 Posts
We do so much work outside every year, and the TOT starts so early we barely have time to get dressed and ready that nobody cares too much about food.

Lazy, easy foods are good, as is stuff that can sit out for breaks during the night and eating after TOT is over. My mom gets all antsy about trying to feed us and goes overboard, but it's still usually pizza, meat and cheese and crackers and dip, bbq meatballs - that kind of thing.

I always say I survive Halloween week on candy and enthusiasm anyway - no time to care about food.

·
Undertaker
3,206 Posts
I've spent so much this year on props, decor and ambiance. It's a very small friends/family BYOB affair, but I will supply limited beverages, foods and champagne bar (sparkling wine and a selection of juices).

Can I just be lazy with food and slice up some Tombstone pizzas, veggies and dip, chips and salsa, mozzarella sticks and such?

Does this sound lazy to you or...

I feel like I should be doing so much more as far as home-made goes. I'm a super awesome cook, but I just want to take it easy, after all the planning. Does it look lazy to be....well, lazy?
Pizza & champagne?...DANG!

Super awesome cook???

I'm dumping Halloween over here..... Kallie, PM me your address and do I have to wear a costume?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think it's ok. People usually get so wrapped up in looking over the decor and the gathering of friends that easy food is welcomed.
If you feel like you need to add something else.. do a tray of baked ziti. You can do in advance and then put it in the oven. add some rolls or Italian bread and you are set and can enjoy the day.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
I used to go mental trying to do a cool Halloween menu but my offerings usually fell flat. I tried everything from the caramel apple jello shots to skull cake to deviled egg eyes, special punch recipes,ect. Now I just order pizza from a a really nice pizza place and the only thing I "make" is mini meatballs in a crock pot. I put them in frozen with a bit of ketchup, small dollop of bbq and grape jelly. Then is booz, sodas and munchy things easily put out. Like chips and cookies. If I can talk my aunt into making cupcakes (she can bake so well) or deviled eggs (also really good) then were set. :)

·
Undertaker
3,206 Posts
I used to go mental trying to do a cool Halloween menu but my offerings usually fell flat. I tried everything from the caramel apple jello shots to skull cake to deviled egg eyes, special punch recipes,ect. Now I just order pizza from a a really nice pizza place and the only thing I "make" is mini meatballs in a crock pot. I put them in frozen with a bit of ketchup, small dollop of bbq and grape jelly. Then is booz, sodas and munchy things easily put out. Like chips and cookies. If I can talk my aunt into making cupcakes (she can bake so well) or deviled eggs (also really good) then were set. :)
What is skull cake? Is that like brain cheese?

Got a picture?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
We don't have a "party" on Halloween, but we set out some firepits in our driveway with a bunch of chairs, and we invite friends & family to drop by anytime for a sort of open-house to visit and see our Halloween set-up. We go easy on the food too, since we spend so much time on the decor & set-up.

My Mom will do a big batch of meatballs for us in the crockpot, so we have rolls for that. Sometimes my Dad will bring some subs that we cut up, we provide sodas, iced tea & do a HUGE container of hot coffee with lots of flavored creamers. I also buy some simple snacks like chips, pretzels, Halloween cookies and I like to also make pumpkin dip and serve that with ginger snaps & apple slices. We also set aside a good amount of Halloween candy for our guests to have, seperate from what we give out to our ToT's. Last year I bought a tray of frozen mac & cheese and had that available for some of the family kiddos, and that was a big hit too. Mostly our plan is to have enough munchies to replenish throughout the evening since we don't know who will be arriving when.

I think it's totally fine to do easier/lazier foods this way! And I also agree that it makes clean-up easier, which is important for us because we need to focus on getting a lot of graveyard decorations & electrical stuff taken down Halloween night.

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
For my first party in '08, I went simple too. Pizza rolls, BBQ wings (frozen) chips and other finger foods, sodas, plus deviled eggs.

It was a BYOB affair - 'cause booze can be expensive, LOL.

I also had a costume contest w/ various prize 'buckets' and everyone received a treat bag consisting of several types of mini candy bars, skull rings, glowsticks and other treats. A friend of mine even surprised me and brought a tray of homemade pumpkin cupcakes with her, to share with everyone.

Keep it simple I say.

I had at least 2 dozen guests show up out of 30 and we had a great time :)
Plus I had my friend volunteer to DJ, too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No, it's totally cool. One thing that I always do is set out apples, an apple slicer, and a thing of caramel dip. People slice their own apples, so they don't brown. Somewhat healthy, too. You can also just put chips and stuff in Halloween decorative bowls. Boom. Too easy.

·
Registered
569 Posts
i think u can be very lazy and still put out good food without throwing out a bunch of chips. i like the serve yourself idea. i have found the best self serve items are a pot of gumbo in a soup chafer and rice). chili( shredded cheese, sour cream and chips), hot dog chili ( weiners in a crockpot, buns, margaritaville hot dog chili recipe is the best) dont forget bags of fritos
for frito pies), taco meat in a crock pot, nacho containers from sams and nacho/ taco fixings. all comfort food and great on a chili night leading more people to eat outside where there is more room.
dessert: anything from sams, their desserts are appetizer potrtions in large quantities for cheap. brownies, cookie platters are all nice presentations with no work. at halloween they have great choices and yes meatballs.

dips made even 3 days in advance are still good3 days later. no need to do all that day. try the humus tubs or mozerella balls at sams. yummy!!!

Borsin cheese And water crackers. u open the wrapper amd dump it on a plate. grapes and cheese cubed which are pre cubed and crackers. just serve on halloween trays and voila u r festive!!!! with no effort.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,827 Posts
We ask everyone to pitch in a bring an app or a dessert. And we supply all the beverages. However, we met a neighbor who used to live in Virginia and she said the idea of guests bringing food just doesn't happen. Maybe this depends on the area you are located. We're in the Midwest and everyone is happy to pitch in. Maybe your friends would do the same.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nothing wrong with being lazy on the food. Every year I want to come up with these elaborate themed desserts/snacks...but it never happens that way. Too much time and money. So..I always end up just having everyone bring their alcoholic beverage of choice, if any, and I supply pop, chips/popcorn, candy, and a Halloween Funfetti cake. Cheap.. Easy..and everyone seems to be satisfied! :)

·
The Kitschiest Kitsch
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I've decided I'll be making gumbo with a side of garlic bread, fresh veggies and dip, some sort of cake and my daughter requested hot wings. I think a couple of friends are bringing some snacks. It's not a huge deal because my party is really just a small gathering of about 10 people lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts