Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Friends,

So I got my confidence up enough to try some simply electronics for my home haunt via the following tutorial:

Laser Vortex How To! - Garage of Evil!!

I've never worked with one of those Frankenstein switches and I've got two stupid questions for those in the know.

First, where exactly do I soulder the wires on the knife switch? I can see from the diagram the general location, but do I attach the wires to the metal sides or to the screws directly?

And if to the screws, do I attach bottom or top?

Or should it even matter since metal conducts electricity?

I tried hooking it all up and can get the laser and and motor to run directly to the batteries (so I know they work), but cannot seem to get a connection running when I add the knife switch into the equation.

Also, could someone please explain the function of the resistor in laymen's terms.

Why is it necessary?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You shouldn't have to solder on the knife switch. I just used the screws to hold the wires in place. For this application you will not need to hook any wires to one side of the switch. The wires will be attached to the base/hinge of the switch and the other to one of the sides. That way when you touch the switch to the other side with the wires, there is an electrical connection between the sets of wires.

I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You shouldn't have to solder on the knife switch. I just used the screws to hold the wires in place. For this application you will not need to hook any wires to one side of the switch. The wires will be attached to the base/hinge of the switch and the other to one of the sides. That way when you touch the switch to the other side with the wires, there is an electrical connection between the sets of wires.

I hope that makes sense.
Yeah, totally makes sense. I now see what you're talking about. Thanks so much Rev. Hopefully I now should be able to get it to work.

I bought the resistor. Do I really need to use it?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The resistor is just to slow the fan down it's not really needed but if the fan is off balance and spinning too fast it can tear the mirror right off. Also you don't really need the knife switch either its just for looks almost any switch would work or just wire it straight to the battery and take out the battery when you want it off. Personally I like to run stuff off of wall warts just because I hate buying batteries it feels like I am throwing money away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The resistor is just to slow the fan down it's not really needed but if the fan is off balance and spinning too fast it can tear the mirror right off. Also you don't really need the knife switch either its just for looks almost any switch would work or just wire it straight to the battery and take out the battery when you want it off. Personally I like to run stuff off of wall warts just because I hate buying batteries it feels like I am throwing money away.
Cool, thanks. That explains why I was having such a hard time keeping the mirror on. Without the resistor, that wheel was really spinning.

So to use it, do I extend the metal bars out and simply wrap the positive wire around them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts