Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, would appreciate some advice if possible. I recently bought a full cover, to the neck Catwoman mask.
The problem is after about five minutes my head was so itchy and very uncomfortable. Practically a burning sensation. I'm not allergic to laytex at all.
Nothing on my face or neck was itching. My problem is I will be wearing this for a cosplay in march and need to wear it for around 6 hours. I've tried washing the mask but doesn't help. Unsure why this happened. I usually wear wigs for six or so hours without a problem.

Many thanks

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
i'm not sure i can offer much in the way of advice, but i had a batman mask a few years ago that sounds comparable in coverage and it never caused me any problems. it fit fairly tightly on my face too, plenty of skin contact. where did you get your mask?

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
yes that looks very similar to my batman mask. 2 questions:

1 - are you sure it's latex? i might have known at the time i bought it but i couldn't say for sure whether mine is latex or not, so maybe it's possible it's another similar material that would cause a reaction when latex wouldn't.

2 - if it is for sure latex, how recently have you worn any other latex pieces without a reaction? i know food allergies can develop out of nowhere, and it might be possible you would have a reaction to this even though you hadn't previously had any problems with the same material.

i mostly just do costume stuff around halloween, so i'm by no means whatsoever an expert, but just thinking out loud here. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure it is rubber laytex as I have asked the seller. It's from his own shop, he had the mask made for him as a Catwoman fan a little while back. Had been sat in the shop a while. This is the first time I have worn a full mask. Although it didn't irritate my fave or neck. I didn't come out in any rash or anything. Just think i would not want to wear it a long time if it makes me itch that bad. Witch is a shame as was a little expensive

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bobby2003, I also have that mask. That why I upgraded to this one as I thought it looked better. You can definitely tell the rubber latex from the vinyl mask. Just didn't expect it to cause a problem. Of course I expected it to be very hot to wear and a little uncomfortable most of my cosplay are lol

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
it seems a little odd that it would itch that bad and not cause a rash or some type of skin irritation. i'm afraid i don't have a helpful answer to give. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know right? Strange one me! I have a friend that cosplays batman and he said he gets an itchy head but not unbearable. Thanks so much for your thoughts though. Hope to figure something before march. May just be sensitive scalp that playing up because of being hot.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
I know right? Strange one me! I have a friend that cosplays batman and he said he gets an itchy head but not unbearable. Thanks so much for your thoughts though. Hope to figure something before march. May just be sensitive scalp that playing up because of being hot.
no problem! glad to see users here who are into the costume aspect of halloween. i sometimes feel like the odd man out since i'm into costumes much more than props. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes me too, love my cosplay so looking forward to my Catwoman cosplay for the first time. Been three different Harley's. Also trying to get into the chairty side of things too 😁

·
Registered
899 Posts
I don't use masks very often, so this could be completely off base, but it works for clothing, so I thought I would mention it. I'm allergic to wool. It just itches like the dickens when I put it on. But sometimes wool is the only thing that looks like wool. When that happens, I beg my daughter to line the outfit with something so that the lining is next to me and not the wool.

Is it possible to maybe paint the inside of the mask with a latex coat used for making scars and other facial features? Maybe if it's some sort of allergic reaction putting something between you and whatever causes the problem will make the mask work better. I really don't have experience using latex or vinyl masks but asking other cosplayers about lining a mask might be helpful. It may just be that you're heating up under the mask and that's the price you pay for looking amazing. We all suffer for our art. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes Been looking into this, asking other cosplayers ect. It seems that it is due to the mask being non breathable and getting hot. So unfortunately will have to put up with it. See how long I can cope in the con before I call it a day lol

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have heard of glued on appliances creating an itchy/skin crawly feeling when they start to detach and if this is tight, but still moving slightly it could be a similar situation. I think the description was on the bonus features of Oz the Great and Powerful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts