Halloween Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Central Valley in California so our weather isn't cold enough they say for the stores to carry the lavendar or pink foam to use for tombstones and such. Last year Home Depot had some in 2 by 2 squares at almost 6 dollars per panel. They do not have any this year at any I have checked. Any ideas on what else I can use or where I can order some without shipping killing me? The sites I have looked at so far say not available online. I plan to use Terra's technique for the stones and want to make her Beloved.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I feel your pain. I live in the foothills north of Fresno and when I wanted to make some tombstones I ran into the same problem. My solution isn't very practical. We took our truck camper on a road trip to Illinois to visit relatives. While there we bought 2 4x8 sheets and lived with them on the trip back. It was...complicated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I feel your pain - it is hard to find in Australia too. Until recently I had to buy it from construction companies but luckily its now available at Bunnings (our equivalent of Home Depot). :)

I did a quick Google and found http://www.bobsfoam.com/ which from the extremely quick check I did appears to be in or near the central valley...?

I don't know why it's called blue/pink/whatever foam in the US - it comes in so many different colours it must be so confusing for people looking for it. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Look for any hot tub company in your area...call them and ask them if they have any old hot tub covers they want to get rid of..once you take the cover off them..you got great big tombstones you can cut up and drill and paint.. Headstone Grave Cemetery Tree Grass
I used a sawzall to cut mine up..you can get about 6 good size thick tombstones out of each round cover

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do you know any contractors that you could call to see if they could order you a few pieces? Or maybe call Owens Corning to see if they can track down the product in your area? 1-800-GET-PINK

·
Registered
201 Posts
Try packaging companies, I work at one and we can get foam sheets. We have some in our warehouse that are 4x8 sheets that range from 2-4 inchs, but its the softer stuff, still works though I used it for my first stones. I talked to the guy that delivers foam to us and he gave me some white foam that was just as good as the pink and blue foam.

Reactions: icmonsters

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Chewbacca, we are almost neighbors!! Hope you aren't getting lots of smoke where you are. I could see it from town. Fire season just starting, stay safe. I found 2 by 2 lavendar squares, well they say they are in stock, at the HD on Abbey. I'm going there this weekend and asking if they will order some larger sheets. I'll let you know what they say

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
No clue what the difference is between the pink and the blue but they seem identical to me. Might just be the brand. Up here HD sells the pinkish stuff and Lowes sells the blue. We've used the blue here as it seemed to be a bit cheaper. But price of foam in general here seems to have taken a jump. We usually buy the blue stuff - maybe an inch thick and then glue it to a thicker sheet of the white stuff. Not perfect but it saves a few bucks.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I wonder if this is the same stuff...It's the same description as the blue stuff up here. Maybe the manufacturers just use dye to differentiate brand? No clue.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_41505-46086...2408&pl=1&Ntt=extruded+polystyrene+insulation

Whoops. Sorry. Never mind. One is Extruded polystyrene the other is Expanded Polystyrene. This is Expanded Polystyrene which is basically your standard white foam. So the Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) is the smooth stuff. And it looks like, yeah, the colours (pink vs. blue) are just branding (Looks like blue for Dow, pink for Owens-corning).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey Chewbacca, we are almost neighbors!! Hope you aren't getting lots of smoke where you are. I could see it from town. Fire season just starting, stay safe. I found 2 by 2 lavendar squares, well they say they are in stock, at the HD on Abbey. I'm going there this weekend and asking if they will order some larger sheets. I'll let you know what they say
Howdy neighbor!

I've been at the Abbey store a lot over the past couple of weeks and I remember seeing some of the lavender project panels but they looked like they were less than an inch thick and looked pretty banged up. You might find a few that are in decent shape but I thought they were over priced.

Yeah, the smoke was pretty thick up here. It was like living inside a smoke house, but it's cleared up for now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts