Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I need some advice! lol....

I normally go all out for my basement parties, so I decorate like you wouldnt believe for them. This year its my first year decorating the outside. 3rd year in my home, so its not like I have a ton of props. It's a building experience. I'll get more stuff each year :D

This is what I came up with so far. It looks decent. The 4th pic down, theres actually a flickering RED light in that window. Just can't see it flicker ;)

I guess I'm asking for opinions. I can take constructive criticism. I want to better show my boarded up windows. The blue floods do a decent job. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've spent a TON already on decorations/lighting, etc. I was going for a haunted house theme. Thus the lights flickering, boarded windows, etc

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It is hard to see the boarded up windows. I suggest a fairly bright orange light shining through the boards from the inside.

That way the light will cut through the space between the slats.

It will look really cool if you incorporate some fog out there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where would you recommend the fog? Maybe in the back landscaping? Should I run it through like a tub, or just blow it straight from the machine. I don't have any more time this year to get involved with a fog chiller. Ahh well...

I like the orange light idea from the inside. Although I havnt seen flood lights that are orange at home depot, lowes, etc.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
No, you don't need a chiller. You want it to rise up past the windows so the light from the inside will cut through it.

Get a long dryer hose (or PVC Pipe), make sure it is black. Run it right against the house under the windows. Drill a bunch of holes in it or get s drainage pipe that already has holes. Shoot your fog machine right into the pipe.

Make sure the opposite end is plugged. That should give you even fog all along that wall.

It does really look good, by the way!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,758 Posts
your window boards look awesome. It looks like you are lucky like me and had a ledge to rest them on. :) you definitely need more light directed on them. one other little cheap and easy trick I did was picking up a couple of those cheap severed arms and had them reaching out from behind the window. We even had one with moving fingers.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Yea since you are not using a cemetery I would get rid of those blue and use red since you have one red already. Also those blue lights show way to much white light. I would also spread them out more since they are to close together. I would put one about 4' to the right of the right window and the other about 4' to the left of the left window and angle them so they wash the wall using red floods.

Otherwise those boarded windows look amazing. Probably the best I have seen.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah I'm not sure why they show so much white light near the bottom as the picture shows. So you think use two reds there eh? Spread more apart... hmmm

Keep the red flood in the main landscaping though? I bought 2 blue floods, I should use em, lol. Any recommendations on where to move em, or not really?

Also, I'm wondering why the one RED flood light shows so much more red at the bottom than on the rest of the house. Its pointed straight up too, I think.

Thanks again u guys!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If you shine red on the windows, use the blue lights to shine out through the slats from the inside.

That will be just as effective, and go for the fog.

Not thick fog, just enough so you can see the shafts of light shooting through the windows. You'll love the effect!

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
I really like the creepy guy in the window, he looks awesome. Great job on the boarded windows, too. I agree, fog would be just the right touch. I'll leave the lighting tips to the experts!!

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Nice work. From the pic it looks like the white spider webbing is catching all the light and you're losing the boards underneath. Back lighting them will give a neat silhouette but won't show the surface texture. I think the 2 spots should be farther out rather than directly under the windows--it makes the light shine past the boards instead of on them. If you're going to buy 2 new bulbs, get a pair of reds for the outside and move the blues inside for back lighting. The fog is a great idea. You also might check the tutorial that Skull and Bones put out about lighting your haunt. My brother has used that as the foundation for his haunt lights and it seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I'll try to the red floods instead of the blue. I'll move the blue somewhere else. I could try inside the garage so they shine through the boards. Not sure if that color would look good or an orange color. Plus I wonder if I should keep the red flood where it currently is. Although I think it needs to be moved away as well.

Ill post some updated pics once I'm done

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys, I took into account your suggestions. Here are some updated pics. Please let me know if you think its better, worse, or what I can do to further improve on top of your suggestions!

Here is a pic from converting the blue floods to RED & moving them outwards!

This was my original idea to put the blue flood here instead of the red one in the original post
USING A 85W BLUE LED HERE!!

I think it may look better here because of the shadow effects the tree gives off on the house!
USING A 85W BLUE LED HERE!!

Sidewalk shot of the new updated haunted house

USING A 100W! BLUE LED HERE!! Notice the difference!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I like the new look! Its an art to get everything set up right and looking good. Anyone can just throw lights on their house at Christmas.:p

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks...I kinda agree I guess with the purple lights. I have green ones too though. Maybe those would be better? I can try hiding em more. Or maybe it would look fine without any lights on that tree. I just had spider webs on the bushes that I thought would be helpful to light up.

Next year I'll get some more props and get more into it...for now its mostly lighting effects

1 - 17 of 17 Posts