Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

last year my hubby dressed up as a devil/demon and had a red latex mask that had the full red hood and bits of red hair on it. We have got it from the plastic box costumes go in as son wants to be a devil and we have a problem with it.

Some of the "paint" on the mask is peeling off, all you have to do is touch it as you put it on and more comes off on your fingers etc. HOW can i sort this out? it wasn't a cheap mask but from local fancy dress shop (i think was £6-7 when we bought it)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Latex is a touchy thing. Extremes of temperature will cause it to break down and fall apart over time. was it stored anywhere it got quite hot or cold? Is it just the paint or does it appear the latex itself is failing? Paint can be touched up but i'm wondering if there is more going on. Can you possibly post a picture of the mask and affected area?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was stored in an air tight plastic tub along with various other masks (all ok) and costumes (all ok) under the bed. i wonder if it was old stock at the shop and thats why its gone funny. i will take a pic later and add it.

my concern is that if i paint part of it i'm going to cause more to come off and end up re-doing whole thing, in which case i be better off buying new 1.

·
Undertaker
3,265 Posts
Just repaint it.....Should be a fairly simple fix. It doesn't look like latex to me. Doesn't matter either way.

You can use some acrylic hobby paint. You might have to mix it to match the color. I would prolly use a sponge to apply it. www.nimbacreations.com in England(your neck of the woods, or some part of the woods) sells paint/makeup for masks........ Great stuff.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for reply. it was sold as latex (i have no idea if is/isn't). I did wonder if putting varnish over it over painting would work to stop happening again.

·
Undertaker
3,265 Posts
Yikes ! Well Amy I don't know nuttin about anything....But Harsh chemicals can destroy latex! I wouldn't try and seal it with a hardener. Just looking at it, I thought it looked like silicone. Silicone has a notorious reputation of being a difficult medium to work with.

If you like the airbrush look, try spray painting it with a cheaper air brush. Tester makes several cheap air brushes that do not require an air compressor to operate.

I would just repaint it with a sponge myself....but then again, I don't know nuttin about anything.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've touched it up with sharipe pens, its not brilliant but will do for this year without buying paint etc. if i can find another like it cheap will get 1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts