Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the last minute, super specific issue, but....

I have a 3rd stall*** I'd like to project on to from behind. It will be cleaner and safer to back project than to put the projector out on the drive way. I am looking for a cheap and super easy way to set this up tonight. The door area is 7x8.

In my other windows, I use frosted shower curtains. I don't think I readily find 7x8, lol. I could maybe use two? I am guessing I will have to staple it or nail it at this point. I don't have the time or energy to build a frame.

Thanks!

***We had a camper parked in front of if that I just stored last night. I thought it would be there through this week blocking the door.

·
redrum
988 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My hesitation was that it is clear. For rear projection that works well? Can you easily see the bright spot from the projector? My window projections are on frosted curtains.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Unless you can position the projector so the hotspot isn't visible from the viewing side, use a white (not frosted) shower curtain. That produces a good clear image without seeing the hotspot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
6 mil from Lowe's works great. If you have a projector that has 2000 Lumens or more, you can double the layer. I do this every year and it is a hit.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Solid white vinyl shower curtain. I use this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Light-Weight-Shower-Liner-White/104751382 Absolutely zero issues with hot-spotting. As stated before, you can put two or more together with clear packing tape. Also, if desired, putting a layer of black chiffon in front of it will both conceal the seam and increase black levels, this helps to hide the fact that there's a screen of any kind.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put up 3 mil plastic and there is a hot spot. I dont uave more time tonight, but might put a second layer on tomorrow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 3 mil looks frosted. There was 6 mil, but it was 3x the cost and I wasn't really sure I could throw it together quickly. I ended up stapling to the frame around the door (garage isn't finished). I *think* I can get another layer up. The projector is business class and very bright. Full disclosure, I did not play the projection and just had the blue screen up from the projector as I left my laptop at work.

I think I have enough 3 mil to do a second layer. If it works well, I'd invest in a better screen for next year. I had day dreamed of doing this, but didn't think the camper would be moved out in time to actually do it.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Can you guys explain, or show a photo, of this hotspot problem?
The "hotspot" is just a term for seeing the projector light thru the screen because it's facing right at you. On a second floor window this is not a problem because the viewers are not at eye level with the projector, ground level windows are usually susceptible to this. A white vinyl material works well as you cannot see the projector even if it's at eye level.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Bit late now, but if you want to avoid a hotspot from having the projector directly behind, I have found a single layer of gray/silver plastic table cloth is fantastic. I found the gray better than white, and the table cloths worked better than a shower curtain. YMMV, of course. It's also super thin and easy to poke a hole in. They're also $1 each, so NBD if they need to get replaced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts