Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put together a laser vortex with the intentions of filming it, and putting in a Halloween window projection, but I'm having a problem. When using the mirror technique (pictures below) the laser shoots into the middle of the vortex, and I would like to avoid this. Is there a trick to keep that beam out of the middle? I know I could come in at an angle, but I'm sure I'll have a problem with the angle of the mirror.

Small mirror hot glued to a DC motor.
Soldering.JPG

MirrorMotorPlug.JPG

5mW Laser from eBay - $5.99
Laser.JPG

Motor attached to a sawhorse
MotorSawhorse.JPG

Laser on opposite sawhorse
LaserSawhorse.JPG

Sawhorses.JPG

Beam going into the middle of the vortex
Vortex.JPG

In the video, I didn't have enough fog going, but you can get the idea.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
I'm not entirely clear on what the problem is that you are seeing.
The laser has to shine onto the mirror in order for the effect to work.
I just built a bunch of these using computer fans as the motor to spin the mirror.
Mine have the laser pointer mounted within a few inches of the mirror so you don't really see much of a beam other than the reflected beam.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be using it in a video for a Halloween projection, and that beam shooting up the middle just doesn't look right. Putting the laser closer Is a good idea. I also might just try to edit it out in a video editor. Thanks for your reply.

I'm not entirely clear on what the problem is that you are seeing.
The laser has to shine onto the mirror in order for the effect to work.
I just built a bunch of these using computer fans as the motor to spin the mirror.
Mine have the laser pointer mounted within a few inches of the mirror so you don't really see much of a beam other than the reflected beam.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, your setup is not quite right. Laser should only be an inch or two from the mirror, mirror should be mounted slightly askew. The farther toward the edge of the mirror you point the beam, the larger the cone.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
LOL.

Yeah, don't fire the laser from across the room!

Check on Instructibles for a pocket-sized laser vortex design to give you some clues and ideas. Just don't build one of those pocket-sized ones because the design is a damned heat trap.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How strong of a laser should you have for this? I ran home and built one real fast (it would work perfect for my maze exit). Unfortunately the little laser didn't carry very far before it faded away. Thank you in advance!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
How strong of a laser should you have for this? I ran home and built one real fast (it would work perfect for my maze exit). Unfortunately the little laser didn't carry very far before it faded away. Thank you in advance!
He has a 5mw laser pointer from china, powered by 2 AA batteries (making it 3v, but they work with 2 rechargeable AAs which make 2.4v). They sell on ebay in a 3-pack (1 red, 1 green, 1 blue) for about $12-15 or individually for $6-7. The red one is an older single piece design that is a pain in the *** to adapt to a laser vortex with mains power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts